Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Help for a friend: ICS on Galaxy Note

A friend of mine has just upgraded his Galaxy Note to ICS (the official Samsung upgrade) and it's absolutely destroyed the battery life. Previously he was getting a couple of days' usage from a battery charge; after the upgrade it's draining the battery flat in a few hours.

I'm no Android expert but I know that many people on this forum are. Can anyone offer any advice on what he could do to resolve the problem?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Does he have Easy Battery Saver (app) on his phone? I don't have a Note but on my humble Samsung Galaxy Ace phone it improved my battery life in an impressive way. I was running out within a day and now I can use it for about 3 times as long before charging.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A friend of mine has just upgraded his Galaxy Note to ICS (the official Samsung upgrade) and it's absolutely destroyed the battery life. Previously he was getting a couple of days' usage from a battery charge; after the upgrade it's draining the battery flat in a few hours.

I'm no Android expert but I know that many people on this forum are. Can anyone offer any advice on what he could do to resolve the problem?

Thanks!
I can't see the same problem on my Note after upgrading do ICS, but from other forums it seems there are several possible reasons:

* different battery calibration (ICS doesn't inherit the previous battery calibration data). This should clear after a couple of full charge/discharge cycles

* not wiping the device or not clearing the cache after the upgrade (but I did not wipe it and still don't have this problem)

* incompatible app. You can look at the battery usage under settings and check if some app is using more power than it reasonably should.

* smartphone constantly looking for WiFi or 3G networks - changing the network settings should solve that problem (eg. under WiFi -> advanced it is possible to switch off the "keep WiFi on while asleep" option)

* device not switching into lower processor speed when idle, which can have several reasons. One of these seems to be connecting/disconnecting the charger while the screen is off (which could cause the Note to mistakenly recognize the connected/disconnected state)
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It sounds like your friends device is not going into a "deep sleep", a suspended state which allows the phone to use minimal battery. Usually it's an app that keeps some amount of processing active enough to prevent your phone from going to sleep. For folks that heavily use their device this usually goes unoticed since the battery drain is not any faster under constant usage, for the casual user the battery life hit is huge.

I can't tell you what might be causing the problem as I don't know what your friend has installed nor do I own a Galaxy.

This issue was happening to my device when I updated my ROM from stock to an ICS rom based on Android 4.0.3. It took me a while to track down the problem unfortunately the problem was the GPS. Once the GPS was used the phone would not go to sleep. I would get great battery life so long as I did not use the GPS. So the work around for me was to disable GPS and reboot. Not an option so I usually keep my phone charged.

My recommendation is for your friend to restore his device back to factory settings, note this will remove all of his contacts and applications. He can then use Google to restore his contact list and even apps, if he has setup his google account this way. Personally I would recommend he restores his contacts via google and selectively install his apps as restoring both will be hard to find out which app is preventing his phone from sleeping.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Although I have a galaxy note, ICS is not currently available in my country, but I have heard some who have had the same problem say that the battery problem goes away after a reset.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I have a Galaxy Note and ICS and the battery is ok although not as good as I like. It generally lasts about 15 hours but that's on pretty light use. Maybe an hour of listening to podcasts and periodically checking my email and messages and little google Maps.
Hopefully an update makes it even better. I've turned on System Power saving mode so we'll see tomorrow if I get a little more juice out of it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for all the help: I'll pass the advice given on to my friend.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
all my devices on various roms all suffer from wakelocks that won't let the device sleeps sometimes. i'm 98% sure it's media players that do it. pulse, cubed, google music, stock video, dice, mobo... any of those programs will start up the wakelocks and for some reason won't turn them off. most of the times a reboot will take care of the problem, but occasionally it'll still have the wakelock running.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
For me, Pulse and Juice Defender are the two apps that keep my GNote into deep sleep. After uninstall, my GNote can easily lasts 24-36 hours.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I had no problems at all with my battery after the ICS upgrade, if anything, it seems to last longer. No custom ROMs on my Note, nor did I wipe.
What I did do however, is switch off the Note, take out the battery for a minute just to be sure, and restart; according to some sources that seems to remedy the battery problem, assuming the device has not been tempered with otherwise.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
doonasmith
doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Install the Battery Defender -Battery Saver application. It will save gradually increase the battery when WiFi is not used. The WiFi is biggest component that consumes the battery in your phone.
doonasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonasmith View Post
Install the Battery Defender -Battery Saver application. It will save gradually increase the battery when WiFi is not used. The WiFi is biggest component that consumes the battery in your phone.

Shouldn't make a difference between GB and ICS, besides, that can be helped; my Note switches wifi off when the screen is off, it is a setting (Adavanced: Keep Wifi on while sleeping). Only problem is, if you like to listen to streaming music you have to disable this temporarely.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote