Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #511
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Pros:
Holds the reader nicely
Protects the screen
Minimalist.
That's it exactly. I love how it just looks so small and minimalist, just as a book. It doesn't make the reader bulky. I also hate the 4-corner-straps-look of almost all the other ones. Even if it did cost me $46 to ship to Europe and that was the cheapest one I could get...

The only drawback is that the front is too soft and when pushed even slightly, it will touch the screen. So it's not really safe to carry with other stuff. But it's not a hard-case so that's something I can live with and have to remember when packing. Also, today I would probably pick the one with built-in light.

That said - everyone has different needs and preferences so I understand how others may prefer different covers.
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #512
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ha, good thing I waited on ordering the skin from DecalGirl, they're having a sale this weekend, 25% off, code 'FIREWORKS'. Basically worked out to free shipping, but I'm happy.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #513
Naeddyr
Naeddyr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I usually lurk but eh...

A couple of Christmasses back I made a bunch of secret compartment books, and now I've made an "undercover" (snrk) for my PRS-T1.

An ordinary secret compartment recipe is to glue a section of the pages together (and to the back cover) then cut out the middle with a sharp knife and lots of patience, but this one's a bit more complicated.

First off, I glued two sections at first, a big one in the middle and a small one at the end, because the ereader is thinner than the book I used. Then I cut a hole backwards, starting from the back, in the middle section, as big as I needed to house the reader, which should always be a bit bigger than you anticipate... At some point, I start cutting a smaller section out, leaving a small ridge at the top of the page. You can vaguely see it in the picture, it's one of the things that holds the reader in place when you slide it in under the elastic band.

Glue the inside pages together at some point...

The elastic band ends are housed in two indentations I cut out with the knife, then nailed into the paper with tiny nails.

The finger/clutching hole at the bottom I put in last because I was dumb, but didn't really matter. Before that, I'd glued one of the free pages on top of the hole, and then cut out the middle (like with the usual procedure with hollow books). And because I had a hammer and nails, I nailed the top and bottom margins together, though it didn't help with the top... There's a gap from the paper warping from the watered-down glue. Oh well.
Naeddyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #514
Joette
Joette began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
I wondered what to do with the stylus also, then realized I could just hang it over the upper corner holding strap, with the hook it has at the end. I just put it in the left corner, and it's never in my way. I keep a paper clip hooked over there, too, for those pesky times when it needs resetting.
Joette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #515
SueBear
SueBear began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 4750, Sony PRS-T1
Sony Store US - T1 Cases on sale!

Case w/light $19.97

Standard case $14.97

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921644715002
SueBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #516
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post

Case w/light $19.97

Standard case $14.97

Very well spotted and nice prices too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #517
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post

Case w/light $19.97

Standard case $14.97

Oh, I came on here to post this - you beat me to it.

I just ordered a lighted case. Very happy (and I suppose this means a new reader is really in the offing in the near future).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #518
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm torn. I'd love to have a lighted case but I have the Sony standard case and ended up not using it for very long because the front is so flimsy. Is the lighted version pretty much the same in that regard?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #519
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm torn. I'd love to have a lighted case but I have the Sony standard case and ended up not using it for very long because the front is so flimsy. Is the lighted version pretty much the same in that regard?

I found it to be flimsy yes. That and price were two reasons I didn't buy it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #520
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I found it to be flimsy yes. That and price were two reasons I didn't buy it.
Then I'll pass. I just know I'd love it for a few days then start worrying about my screen getting damaged. I'll make do with the m-edge light that doesn't quite work with the case I'm using.

I actually like my m-edge light, but it's hard to get the right angle because my cover is the kind with the corners. But I'd rather fuss with the light a bit than break my screen.

Maybe m-edge will have a sale on their T-1 compatible covers. Then my light will work just fine.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #521
benze
benze began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone know of a good waterproof bag/case that I can use to bring my Sony T1 to the beach? I don't need it to go swimming with, but just to protect if from sand, surf, spray etc. I realize I can use a heavy-duty ziploc, but the glare off the plastic baggie will be horrible.

Any thoughts?

Tx,

Eric
benze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #522
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by benze View Post
Does anyone know of a good waterproof bag/case that I can use to bring my Sony T1 to the beach? I don't need it to go swimming with, but just to protect if from sand, surf, spray etc. I realize I can use a heavy-duty ziploc, but the glare off the plastic baggie will be horrible.

Any thoughts?

Tx,

Eric
I find the freezer bags to be less shiny... I have a "Shark Pack" for my phone and it's shinier than the freezer bag, but I can read with it fine anyways... They don't have the larger size for readers ergo the freezer bag... I've seen some on Amazon, but they don't appear to be better than a ziplock to me.
http://www.amazon.com/SE-Pouch-Water...ef=pd_sim_sg_5

Shark pack: (it floats in case dropped into the water which is why I got it but no bigger ones...
http://www.amazon.com/Great-White-Sh...d_sim_sbs_sg_2
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #523
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
I took my T1 to Aruba for a week before I had bought the Gecko case. I carried it in a very cheap soft case designed for a 7" tablet and took it out whenever I wanted to read, on the beach or by the pool. It was absolutely fine. Unless you plan on taking it into the pool or leaving it on the sand (which would be rather crazy) you should be fine without encasing it in a clear bag while reading.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #524
nugstar
nugstar doesn't litternugstar doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1 AMR
I saw the skins posted in here but due to shipping, the total cost didn't seem worth it for me. That is until I found some A4 vinyl sheets. The vinyl looks nice, though application is a bit harder since it's a glue based vinyl. The vinyl came off fairly easily when adjusting and didn't leave any marks, but can't say if it'll be the same after a few months.

I just cut out a window for the screen and covered the bezel and buttons. Most of the glossy edges are also covered. Trimmed the excess around the corners with some nail clippers to smooth it down a bit. For the buttons, I basically just ran a fingernail along the top and bottom of them, eventually cutting the vinyl. Left the sides of the buttons uncut so it'll be easier to remove later on.

Had a few minor bubbles, but for a grand total of $3, I'm not complaining. Plus that was more my application, than the vinyl itself.

I'd say it's a decent alternative to decalgirl/etc for a fairly simple matte black skin. Doesn't have the icons printed on it either so I have a completely matte black reader. It's not like I need icons to remind me which button is which.
nugstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #525
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
I purchased two T1 last week (I've had an iLiad v2 for years, but it's rather bulky and takes forever to switch on. Bought the T1, got the boyfriend jealous, bought one for his birthday ^^). I purchased the black cover with light for him, and for me I got the tuff-luv hemp one, desert sand color. Can't wait till I receive them! I'll come back and tell you which one I prefer, if there is an interest for that!
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote