Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
lothlann
lothlann began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way to move database to another computer

Just a quick question on the best way to move my collection to a different computer.

Would it just be a simple job of copy the files from my laptop to desktop after I have installed calibre on my desktop?

I apologise if this is a simple question I just wanted to make sure I didnt mess up my collection.

Thanks
lothlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the IT industry the laplink http://laplink.com/llgold/ is the generally excepted way to acomplish this task. Laplink Gold does not copy or move files from location to another it uses a method that is referred to as cloning. Makes little difference what format your files are in or which reader they are for Laplink clones them to the new location and your reader will not know the difference, won't know they have been moved.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Or.... zip library and upzip on new computer and point Calibre to location, I do it all the time, takes me about 5 min (about 500 books in library). Make sure you include the whole folder.

Last edited by Maggie-Me; 01-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no need to zip and unzip even - just copy / paste the folder called calibre library from my documents..
me- I'd copy the folder, and then do the calibre install - the install will then find or ask about an existing library

ps ignore the expensive spam? link above -totally unnecessary! - you are simply copying a collection of data files from A to B. if the laptop & desktop are not networked then use a memory stick .

make sure you copy the entire folder. in addition to all of the books, it also contains a vital file called metadata.db which calibre needs for library management.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
no need to zip and unzip even - just copy / paste the folder called calibre library from my documents..
me- I'd copy the folder, and then do the calibre install - the install will then find or ask about an existing library

ps ignore the expensive spam? link above -totally unnecessary! - you are simply copying a collection of data files from A to B. if the laptop & desktop are not networked then use a memory stick .

make sure you copy the entire folder. in addition to all of the books, it also contains a vital file called metadata.db which calibre needs for library management.
what he says, I only zip because it saves space on the memory stick
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
lothlann
lothlann began at the beginning.

I see, very helpful. This is what I was thinking but wasnt 100%, thank you for the fast answer.
lothlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlann View Post
I see, very helpful. This is what I was thinking but wasnt 100%, thank you for the fast answer.
FYI, there is a manual for calibre that has a bunch of info. Here is the blurb on moving between computers.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote