Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
JeanC
Enthusiast
JeanC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I think I will return my 602

I'm thinking about returning my 602. I am sorry to say I am rather dissapointed.

It is my third reader, first I got a Foxit but it's battery lasted only some 700 pages and it hanged a lot of the time.
Then I got an bebook which was a rather steady machine, only it had very little features, for .txt only 3 zoomfactors for instance, and I didn't like the interface with the 8 buttons.

Then I got me this pb last week.
First issue was when I got it and the orange light was still on after 16 hours loading. This seems to be a firmware issue.
Then I tried to lock the keyboard when I was not reading and noticed this still resulted in a battery indicator notch less after a day.
Then I had a search because I lost my position in a book after changing font, the search never found the word, though it is in the book, and on top, the green light kept being lit, I had to reset the machine. After that, I lost two! notches on the battery indicator.
I have encountered the green light staying on more occasion.

So I had other things to do and turned the Pb off for two days, and just now I switched it on again and it gave me a low battery warning!
I have read about 600 pages and it promises 14000, one of the reasons I choose this Pb is the battery promise. My first ereader had this also, promised 8000 and delivered 800, that's not what I'm looking for in an ereader.
Other reason why I choose this machine was the wifi and other extra's like dictionaries. Wifi works but I can't do anything with it, bookland.net does not work, and I can't browse my local network either. An english-dutch dictionary is not available either.

Maybe there will be updates that will improve things but I am seriously thinking about returning the machine while I can.
It's really a pity, the combination of price and features was really promising but as it is, there are too many failures.
Maybe I'll look again for some ereader in a year or something.
Feedback appreciated.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Probably the device you received is defective. My husband has PB602 for 3.5 weeks, he uses it daily for couple of hours on average and only yesterday he recharged it for the first time (he was transferring books from the computer and decided to charge the reader also).
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
JeanC

The keyboard lock does not put the PocketBook into a sleep mode, it only locks the keys so that it cant accidentally turn a page etc. To save power turn it off. You mention you did turn it off but then it lost power anyway. The only way thts possible is if it was somehow turned on. I have found one way this occurs.

If its off when you are sliding it in the pouch it is very easy to inadvertently turn it back on with a slight touch of the power button. You wont notice its on because its in the pouch. Its possible the same has happened to you. What setting do you have it at for turning off automatically?

The LED problems seem to be a bug as well as some other issues.

Try this new firmware

http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...ketBook602.zip

1.unzip the file
2.transfer the swupdate.bin file to a micro sd card
3.make sure your 602 is off
4.put the micro sd in the 602
5.hold both the forward and back page buttons down and turn on the 602
6.when the device starts the update process let go of the page buttons.
7.follow the prompts on the display to plug in the device to power and click the OK button when it asks.

i believe it will deal with most of the issues you have faced. among the other fixes the device will remember the last page you were reading now and also use that last page as the "boot up" image (provided you choose that option) so you can begin reading while the device is still turning on.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
JeanC
Enthusiast
JeanC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks to both of you and sorry for the delay.
I am going to return the machine, I am just not satisfied enough with several things about it sorry to say. It's not only the battery life which I think is a defect, it is also the many options that don't work yet and the contrast.
I am going to read from my desktop for the time being and will be looking at the market in a few months to see what's up.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote