Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Please chose the correct answer
E-Ink are better for eyes from my own experiance 75 72.82%
E-ink are not any better for eyes compared to LCD from my own experiance 26 25.24%
E-Ink are worse for eyes from my own experiance 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
E-ink technology versus LCD ?

Do you think E-Ink technology is better than LCD for eyes or not?
Please participate in the poll above.

Last edited by erictoma; 12-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Absolutely. E-ink is way, way better for reading than LCD.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Depends.
I love e-ink in the sun and by daylight, but in my dimly lit bedroom or in the dark I prefer my backlighted (ipad with the perkament background on ibooks and the backlight not very bright) above a light on the ereader (PRS350).
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot vote because there is no proper option to choose from.

It is not so cut and dry as LCD is better or worse then eink. There are mitigating factors like and iPad LCD is not as good in the sun. But in the house, the iPad LCD is fine. So there is just one example of how the options in the poll don't actually work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot vote because there is no proper option to choose from.

It is not so cut and dry as LCD is better or worse then eink. There are mitigating factors like and iPad LCD is not as good in the sun. But in the house, the iPad LCD is fine. So there is just one example of how the options in the poll don't actually work.
You have pinpointed a good remark
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Do you think E-Ink technology is better than LCD for eyes or not?
Please participate in the poll above.
The objections to this poll on the grounds that sunlight is an issue miss the point. Sure, e-ink is better in sunlight, and LCD better in the dark.

But the question is, which is better FOR THE EYES. If you can't read one or the other because of lighting conditions, the issue of which is better for the eyes does not come up. You have to assume into the poll that the pollster is talking about the effect of either under optimum lighting conditions for the particular device.

My own objection to the poll is that e-ink is not a plural noun, and thus does not take a plural verb.

Aside from that, it has been scientifically proven that if the LCD is properly adjusted, it is no worse for your eyes than e-ink. Over time, with either, you will need glasses.

But my EXPERIENCE is that e-ink is easier on my eyes. I'm a Baby Boomer. It follows, therefore, that my EXPERIENCE trumps any damn stinking FACTS...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I dunno, I think there is more to e-ink than just ambient lighting vs light shining in your face.

For one, in ink, each letter is actually a filled in letter. On an LCD, even good one, it's still a bunch of little dots with spaces in them, it's really only an optical illusion that they look like solid letters to you.

I suspect the quality of the screen is important. On my PSP or DS, which you can actually see the lines between the dots, my eyes start hurting a lot quicker than on my computer LCD monitors.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Not to discourage you from doing an opinion/experience poll, but on these things I'd personally prefer to rely on controlled studies and expert opinions.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My option isn't there: neither. Both have their place. If I try to read my e-ink device in the livingroom I must squint too much, and if I try to read my lcd device during the day, Imust squint too much.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If I have enough light reflected on the e-ink screen, then in my experience e-ink is better for my eyes. But let us not start another war over this.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I know this topic will likely get contentious with some people posting studies that LCDs in NO WAY cause eyestrain, and vice versa. However, I loved the way you phrased the poll as a personal preference.
As for me, I am a corporate attorney and I stare at a lovely flatpanel LCD computer monitor for ~10hrs a day. I used to go home and read on my palm pilot or blackberry. And then my lovely and beautiful partner got me a Nook. I find now that I can read for hours on top of the LCD screen use because it feels, to my eyes at least, like I am looking at a DTB page. I get headaches far less and find that I can really enjoy e-reading again in a way that I had not been able to since becoming an attorney nearly five years ago.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
In reality I haven't read that long with the iPad but I've noticed that my old PRS-505 is better on my eyes. Anyways having both is never bad =P
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So lets get some nice mod to delete the poll and just answer the question in posts instead.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Having used a Kindle, albeit for a short time, an iPad, iPhone and any number of LCD's and since we are talking about reading, then I would say that the e-ink screen kills the LCD and from everything I have read (sorry no references to back this up) I gather that the general belief follows my "Opinion", for what it's worth.

In fact I find the iPad/iPhone the hardest one to read of the bunch, I find I can only stand to read for a couple of hours (I do a lot of reading at work). The iPhone is just too small for my eyes. Its not that the iPad is too bright, I don't know how to describe it, but too sharp? I can't think of another way to say it.

Because I work in Graphic arts, my days are spent in front of one type of screen or other. In the old days when we were still doing page layout on mono screens, we thought we had died and gone to heaven when we got a paper white portrait monitor (SONY, if I remember right, 25 years ago) to do the typesetting.

I found the Kindle to be closest to reading a paper book compared to the LCD, but does this mean everyone will also, I doubt it but you didn't ask for scientific reasoning, just an opinion.

"Opinions and a$$holes, everyones got one"
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I have both and I found that I am really adjusting well to my nook color LCD. If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have said eink all the way But after some adjustments to the brightness and the background color, you can really fine tune it in.

I love both techs. never thought I would say that but you really do adjust. My nook eink comes in handy for outdoor reading and my nook color for low light reading.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote