Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Engadget: Kno dual-screen tablet appears at D8, we go hands-on

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/k...e-go-hands-on/

Quote:
Kno promised to launch a double-screened Linux-based e-reader designed for students at D8, and the undercover startup didn't disappoint -- believe us when we say it came out in a big way. That's big as in freaking big: the Kno reader features dual 14.1-inch capacitive IPS displays (1440 x 900 each), weighs 5.5 pounds, and offers six to eight hours of battery life, all in a package that's so comically large we thought it was a joke when we first saw the press shots. Kno says it'll offer both pen and touch support, and it'll come with a stylus out of the box. Under the hood, it's running a Tegra 2 chip with 16GB of storage, and the entire experience is essentially a WebKit instance. Yes, it's sort of like the Courier, but larger -- much, much larger.
I love this pic:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/kno-press-pics/#3036339

actually, all the pics are awesome.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Is that for real?

Way too big with the silly (IMO) double screen design.

I'd be interested if it was one screen that size with 8 hour battery life.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Is that for real?

Way too big with the silly (IMO) double screen design.

I'd be interested if it was one screen that size with 8 hour battery life.
I agree. Ditch one of the screens and it might be worth a look.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Way to big and not worth a look? It's targeted at students who typically could be carrying any where from 3-6 books each of which may weigh 3-6 pounds (1.3-2.7 Kilo) ... or even more. I doubt that a student would complain about slipping one of these into their backpack rather than 20-30 pounds of DTB's. And considering that (I think) most students would usually be at a desk or table when using it, it's twin screens probably wouldn't bother them either.

Seems to me that telling it's intended target that it's "way to big" or "might be worth a look" if you toss one screen would be like telling a trucker his semi tractor is overkill for pulling that 20 ton trailer around.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I wasn't calling the device useless--just saying that it wasn't something I'd want. Even being a professor who still deals with textbooks for classes I'm teaching etc.

One screen is fine, I can only read one page at a time anyway!

But hey, I'm all for variety in the market place. My posts are never anything more than discussing whether a device fits my specific needs/wants. I don't care what other people need or want, how much devices sell or that kind of stuff. Just about getting a gadget that suits my needs.

But that doesn't mean I'm dismissing a place in the market for any device I'm down on personally. If it fills other people's needs--great! Variety is the spice of life, the more variety in gadgets the better so everyone can find something that matches their needs close to perfectly, rather than the norm of having to settle for whatever comes closest.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I think they couldn't make the thing under 3lb and just went and shot the moon with 5.5lb.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Jesus Christ!

And people thought my Dx was huge and heavy...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I think they couldn't make the thing under 3lb and just went and shot the moon with 5.5lb.
They could have shrunk it down to two 10" screens and cut the weight to 2.5 pounds overall and it would have been *MUCH* more appealing.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
They could have shrunk it down to two 10" screens and cut the weight to 2.5 pounds overall and it would have been *MUCH* more appealing.

Derek
To say nothing of cutting the cost and increasing the battery life.
Lighting up those 14-inchers has to eat up battery power like crazy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
/agree with Delphi.

That thing's not a textbook, it's a coffee table book.

Something like that with a couple of 10" screens would be wonderful; I'd buy it. If this fits a niche in the educational market, great; I hope it does well. The more devices the merrier. But I'll be waiting for its baby brother.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Not only the weight and battery life - think of the cost. 14" screens cost more to make than 10" screens. In fact, someone could have just taken two 8.9" (say from Dell Mini 9s) or 10" (mini 10vs anyone) and slapped in touchscreen layers and gotten the whole thing lighter, thinner and less power-consuming. And so very much cheaper.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Looks like two biblical stone slabs...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
/agree with Delphi.

That thing's not a textbook, it's a coffee table book...
More like the whole coffee table

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
this is EXACTLY the size and device I have been wanting for my work references....EPD panels would be a preference for obvious reasons but this will be FINE. Now all that is needed is actual quality software from Linsux developers. Sorry but Linsux software is 99.9% a waste of electrons.

It will indeed be interesting to see what this device delivers over the next 7-10 months.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote