Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Warning - Prime Video Downloads Can Brick the HDX

There are reports coming from the Amazon Kindle forum that downloading Prime Videos can brick your device. It seems both models are affected.

See one thread here

Comments from others on his review here
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Remind me not to get Prime
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Remind me not to get Prime
I have it for a trial month but hubby has Student Prime. He loves it. I love the free shipping.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have it for a trial month but hubby has Student Prime. He loves it. I love the free shipping.
I don't mind buying items that cost less than $35 total from Target or Walmart; and I don't mind waiting a week or two for free shipping on items that cost more than $35.

Besides, I can always use a friend's account if need be.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't mind buying items that cost less than $35 total from Target or Walmart; and I don't mind waiting a week or two for free shipping on items that cost more than $35.

Besides, I can always use a friend's account if need be.
My situation is different. I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't drive and hubby works full time and goes to school so he picks up stuff at the local stores once a week or Walgreens if needed on his way home. Target is in the next town about 45 minutes from here and Walmart is about 15 minutes so he may stop there sometimes but grumbles he rather go to the grocery store on the weekends for the weekly shopping instead so Prime is awesome for me! Our nearest Best Buy is also 45 minutes from here.

I've been trying to get him to take me to Walmart for two weeks to take back that cheap tablet I bought which I no longer need luckily we are on Holiday return policy now or I would be stuck with it.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
My situation is different. I live in the middle of nowhere.
Location definitely makes a big difference. I live in a large metro area and stores are readily available. For example, I have 15 Walmarts within 30 miles of me.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
Quote:
There are reports coming from the Amazon Kindle forum that downloading Prime Videos can brick your device. It seems both models are affected.

See one thread here

Comments from others on his review here
from the responses given in your link the problem seems to be more about deletion than downloading. Regardless it does seem to be a problem and I hope it's fixed soon. I have an 8.9 HDX with Prime but haven't tried to download any media yet. Now I think I'll take a wait and see what happens attitude before I try it.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd assume it's nothing specific with Prime videos, but any Amazon Instant videos. They sell an awful lot of stuff that's not available through Prime.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Location definitely makes a big difference. I live in a large metro area and stores are readily available. For example, I have 15 Walmarts within 30 miles of me.
I too live in a huge metro area, but I find that the retail B&M, especially Walmart and Best Buy, rarely stock much of a selection. Walmart is really bad. They have a gillion items, but very little selection within each category. And BB is well known for selling stripped down computers and other items that have the exact same model numbers as other stores sell, but with parts removed. You might get Laptop #2345 for $100 less at Walmart, but the one at Target or Amazon will have BT and a larger drive and actually match the manufacturers specs. Plus, Amazon has much better CS. So for me the Prime is a no brainer. I get what I want without settling for whatever crap that is left on Walmart's shelves.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I've had Prime since it came out. I buy all my consumer items from Amazon.

However, I never watch Prime videos. I use Netflix instead since they have a method for selecting what I like. Amazon videos make it hard to find what I like.

Netflix allows me to rate every video I watch and then gives me new choices in line with my tastes. Amazon lacks that methodology.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cuda View Post
from the responses given in your link the problem seems to be more about deletion than downloading. Regardless it does seem to be a problem and I hope it's fixed soon. I have an 8.9 HDX with Prime but haven't tried to download any media yet. Now I think I'll take a wait and see what happens attitude before I try it.
Good idea I will keep everyone updated when and if this is fixed.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd assume it's nothing specific with Prime videos, but any Amazon Instant videos. They sell an awful lot of stuff that's not available through Prime.
It could be I haven't seen any mention though yet of non Prime but I will keep an eye out.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I joined as soon as I started shipping things to our place in Idaho. I shipped a gas grill, that cost less than the projected shipping from other places. It takes more like 4 days rather than two, but even that is super fast for the top of the mountain.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
From what I understand Amazon has been able to duplicate the problem and is currently working on a fix. So hopefully it will be fixed shortly.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
From what I understand Amazon has been able to duplicate the problem and is currently working on a fix. So hopefully it will be fixed shortly.
That is good news! Poor guy went through 4 I only went through 3 so I can emphasize with him. You would think they would really test their stuff better as they have done in the past but at least they are quick to get a fix in the works.