Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #23071
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Lululemon have yoga pants that are really comfortable and loose. They got me through my pregnancy
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #23072
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

Yesterday I tried to get a pair (or two) of size eight trousers. Now, I am 5'2" tall(short?), and not all stores cater for shorties like me. Saw a fabulous pair in white, but would have had to grow at least five more inches to wear them. The assistant suggested shortening them (Hah!) which meant that the crotch would have been that much too low-slung.

And don't get me started on shoe sizing.

I'm staying home today.

Cheers
I feel for you! My husband's family has a bunch of very petite women, as was my maternal grandmother, so I know what you mean. We beanstalks have the opposite problem--all of our pants are 'cropped,' whether we want them or not. Ditto on the shoe sizes; I wish people would just stick to the damned standard lasts, but, OH NO, can't do THAT, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Lululemon have yoga pants that are really comfortable and loose. They got me through my pregnancy
Ah-hah. I'll look into those--thanks for the tip. Loose and comfortable are practically my middle name(s). ;-) Thanks!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #23073
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They are pricey but comfortable and last forever. My LM is 16 months old and I am wearing the same ones I got when pregnant.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #23074
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

Went into Google, and they have Lululemon in the Land of Oz! Have joined and got a $10.00 voucher for doing so.

Shall have a good perusal tonight when all chores are done.

Hitch, you do know why there is not standardisation for shoes don't you? Simply because then it would all make sense, and we can't have that in this crazy world
can we?

Many thanks to all.

Cheers

Last edited by nohmi2; 10-17-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Because.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #23075
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Went into Google, and they have Lululemon in the Land of Oz! Have joined and got a $10.00 voucher for doing so.

Shall have a good perusal tonight when all chores are done.

Hitch, you do know why there is not standardisation for shoes don't you? Simply because then it would all make sense, and we can't have that in this crazy world
can we?

Many thanks to all.

Cheers
Actually, sadly, I do know why we don't have standardized shoe sizes. (I know--I'm pathetic.) It's to do with lasts. Lasts are the "template" from which shoes are made; essentially, the outline of (your foot, if custom-made) a consumer's foot. There's a last for each designer; for each manufacturer; for each size. I, for example, struggle with Italian lasts, because while my feet are not wide, my heels are quite narrow, so the shoe slips off the back of my foot. Higher-end British lasts work well on my feet.

As each country, each designer, each populace all have slightly different feet that they used to create each last (every last is created from a human foot model, to start), we will never all have the same size 6-1/2, or whatever. In many cases, such as mine, this isn't a bad thing--if all shoes were conformed to Italian lasts, I'd have a tough go. And the shoe sizes certainly don't vary wildly like women's clothes do, at least--a 6-1/2 in one manufacturer will be tight on me, but another's slightly loose--not the same thing at all as me swimming in one designer's size 3 while I can't breathe in another's 6.

Ah...a shoe discussion, at long last.

Hitch
Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #23076
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, sadly, I do know why we don't have standardized shoe sizes. (I know--I'm pathetic.) It's to do with lasts. Lasts are the "template" from which shoes are made; essentially, the outline of (your foot, if custom-made) a consumer's foot. There's a last for each designer; for each manufacturer; for each size. I, for example, struggle with Italian lasts, because while my feet are not wide, my heels are quite narrow, so the shoe slips off the back of my foot. Higher-end British lasts work well on my feet.

As each country, each designer, each populace all have slightly different feet that they used to create each last (every last is created from a human foot model, to start), we will never all have the same size 6-1/2, or whatever. In many cases, such as mine, this isn't a bad thing--if all shoes were conformed to Italian lasts, I'd have a tough go. And the shoe sizes certainly don't vary wildly like women's clothes do, at least--a 6-1/2 in one manufacturer will be tight on me, but another's slightly loose--not the same thing at all as me swimming in one designer's size 3 while I can't breathe in another's 6.

Ah...a shoe discussion, at long last.

Hitch
It all makes sense now. I have always been told that I have a "continental"
(they didn't say which continent) style feet. Long and narrow(prehensile?) shoe fitting.

I love these snippets of information.

Google "Parkinson's Last Show" where he interviews Michael Caine and Billy Connelly. Michael Caine is a font of information which my hubby calls 'useless'. Just my cup of tea.
Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #23077
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It all makes sense now. I have always been told that I have a "continental"
(they didn't say which continent) style feet. Long and narrow(prehensile?) shoe fitting.
Yes, that's what they mean--likely an Italian last. American shoes are "fatter"--wider through the ball, etc.

Quote:
I love these snippets of information.

Google "Parkinson's Last Show" where he interviews Michael Caine and Billy Connelly. Michael Caine is a font of information which my hubby calls 'useless'. Just my cup of tea.
Cheers.
Hell, I'll give it a look. I love data of all kinds. Thanks!

Hitch
Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #23078
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Tim Winton's latest novel Eyrie is 48% off. Down to $23.09 - Arrrgh! Australian book prices are awful.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #23079
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Tim Winton's latest novel Eyrie is 48% off. Down to $23.09 - Arrrgh! Australian book prices are awful.
It's $20.79 in the US at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Not much better.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #23080
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
It's $20.79 in the US at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Not much better.
Well that doesn't make feel any better. I demand a better vent and rant response.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #23081
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
What? How much? That is outrageous! Well I never....

(How's that? )
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #23082
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I am incensed on your behalf!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #23083
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Actually, sadly, I do know why we don't have standardized shoe sizes. (I know--I'm pathetic.) It's to do with lasts. Lasts are the "template" from which shoes are made;
Lasts are pretty tricky. I used to work in an Italian leather store, and Armando Pollini's shoes fit me perfectly, but most women said their toes were squished. A. Pollini had a slightly narrow last, w/ shorter toes, which isn't a common combination.

The other thing I noticed about lasts is that some are more straight and others have more of a curve or slight "C" shape. New Balance sneakers, which many rave about, fit me horribly, because they have no curve. They're made for a straighter foot. Since Nike's fit me well, I would guess that folks who love New Balance, seriously dislike, Nike's.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #23084
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
What? How much? That is outrageous! Well I never....

(How's that? )
Good! Tha',s more like it. I feel much better now.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #23085
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A puff of smoke and a hearty hi yo silv..... OH SH$T! My computer is fried!

Well... I needed to move into the world of 64bit anyway.....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness