Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Missing the luigi kernel installer?

Quote:
SEANIKO7
... If update doesn't work, you can also flash it manually using Amazon tools.
- Download uImage from here : BLAH/de/BLAH/uImage
- Copy it to /mnt/us
- Execute :
Code:
cp /mnt/us/uImage /tmp ; /test/flashtools/luigi/update /tmp/uImage
so I just wanted the last bit, which is actually what I did anyways. Heh.
Save you all reading this entire thread. Ta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BACK TO THE THREAD:
Hi.

I followed http://yifan.lu/2010/07/26/compiling...amazon-kindle/ instructions to compile the kernel

(I actually did it via buildroot but it's near identical output)

I got the the new modules copied across with a tidy modules.dep
(yep, I amended the kindles root filesystem under /lib)

Also shuffled the new uImage onto the device under /tmp for now.

but when I got to /test/flashtools/update-kernel-both uImage I don't appear to have the right stuff in /test

I only have update under a subdir /test/flashtools/luigi/update so I'm a bit at a loss since

Can't get my head around what to do with the new uImage I have.
Kindles in a very - interim - state at the moment and I really would like to shove the new kernel on there before it loses power or anything....

So I will continue to look around for better details but yeah, any tips greatly appreciated. or docs. I don't mind reading...
Ta.

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Think I sorted it
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Yifan's instructions are for a K DX/2. (Basically, that's what in test/flashtools/mario on a K3).

For a K3, you might want to look at Yifan's or Seaniko7's kernel package update scripts (after unpacking the update packages).

Or try to make sense of what's in test/flashtools/luigi .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2012 at 09:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

when I wrote this I had no cvm running, a white screen, no ssh, the wrong modules installed, generally bad scene going down

I currently have cvm back up, ssh back up, the correct modules now COULD be swapped back in and the old modeuls.dep if I wanted before a restart.

Note the lack of panic now

In my defence Yifan Lu actually states it will work as is for a 3 with just an amended _defconfig, (I can point you to the errant seemingly now correct post).

I thought ooh this sounds too good to be true! and it was wasn't... EDIT: seems okay now?

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: seaniko did the same thing I did, and his works so ... yeah
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
twobob

Yeah I had looked at seanikos, grabbed it down.
okay Ill go ACTUALLY look as opposed to scan. thanks mate
Old 09-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twobob: There's a good chance both of them used the same support script as official updates, but I haven't checked . But that would be another source of ideas, if you find one that applied a kernel update (If I remember correctly, most of them did, ^^).
Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
twobob

okay. - understood - learn more stuff

I have a juicy 3 kernel image here with some nice support in it (including virtual framebuffer built in for some playing around)

Didn't figure on the last step tripping me up. lol!

suppose I'll document it for the next poor sucker. cheers mate.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
twobob

[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.26-rt-lab126 #1 Mon Sep 10 00:09:15 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

err? Did I manage it.. I'll check tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #8
twobob

well having now finally backed off the mmcblk0p1.bin I am feeling a bit more confident..

(what? I never left it locked on the FAT partition like an idiot!, okay I did, but got it now )

So yeah. I reckon I'll have a quick sanity check and try a reboot. I will get a chance to play with de-bricking if nothing else

Here goes nothing.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
twobob

"Please wait a heart stopping moment while your Kindle starts up"
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
twobob

*boom* we have lift-off.

Well - that shortened my life somewhat but I appear to have cracked it.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
twobob

soo.... Time to rebuild all that VFB software for a bit of a play now we have a delegate test victim kindle. I should type all this up. Later.. Thanks Niluje. superstar as ever
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you don't mind leaving behind this large audience here ...

Login @ mmod
Click Blogs
Upper left, click "create blog"
Type until tired or you lose interest.

For examples, see some of the other personal projects that where handled that way.
(@mmod, blog entries can have user comments, just like a thread starter post here).

The same with a wiki page, except -
All wiki pages can have comments - just like a forum thread starter post here.
Only in this case, everyone can help keep the "starter post" edited.
Think one of our "sticky posts" here - everyone can comment, but only the author can edit the first post. If they where a mmod wiki page, everyone could comment and everyone could help keep the "starter post" current.

Once I get the new version of the site package to play a bit nicer with the existing data of the past three years - - -
I will turn back on the "Catagory" system. Then, things like our "sticky" posts that index into the site would not be needed.

The syntax is a bit different -
Your "MyTiki" has a "personal page" you can use to practice on.

Learning a new syntax can be a bit of a chore - -
On the upside - Articles, Blogs, Comments, Forums, etc., etc. all use the same syntax.

Plus, it would be nice to have at least **one** thing posted about e-book readers before I try to claim the site is a "known reference site for Kindles".

Last edited by knc1; 09-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
twobob

EDIT:

Okay some feedback: AdBlock plus is what breaks the menus.

It also breaks adding images etc. So a small note somewhere about this may be sensible.

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
on it!
Thanks.
I will go back to diddling permission bit flags.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: w00t! \o/

Tags
kernel, kindle3, tools