Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
But I thought piracy was killing media? music/game sales up

Record PC Games Sales in 2011

"Per the press release put out today by the organization, PC game sales have risen globally by 15% year-over-year in 2011, reaching a record $18.6 billion. Also noted is the continued growth of the PC games market in China, whose year-over-year growth hit 27%, or $6 billion. "

"The Alliance has high hopes for the PC business in the future. The belief is that "growing access to broadband connections and the increasing ease of digital distribution delivery solutions and payment" will elevate growth to 37%, or $25.5 billion by 2015."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1220114p1.html

Music sales stage comeback; CD buyers up for second year

“After years of losing buyers, caused by many consumers who simply stopped buying music, the total number of CD buyers increased for the second consecutive year, growing 2% to 78 million [in 2011],” the company said."

"Total music-track sales rose 4% last year, the first gain in many years. Paid download buyers increased 14% in 2011, to 45 million customers. "

"One other thing has clearly helped the music industry claw its way back to growth – a decline in piracy. The NPD report also noted a decline in unpaid music acquisition, such as P2P file sharing and trading music on hard drives. NPD estimates that 13% of Internet users downloaded music from a P2P site in 2011, down from a peak of 19% in 2006. In addition to giving customers more legitimate sources to find music, the industry has worked hard to crack down on file sharing sites."

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...r-second-year/

the industry will tout their laughable anti-piracy measures but to me theres clearly a connection between 'more legitimate sources to find music' and the decline in piracy.

i'd be interested in seeing if drm free pubs like baen have also seen an increase.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
But it is not enough for them. They NEED to make more money and you know, all those downloads are all lost sales. They have the (doctored) figures to show us all!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I agree that more legitimate sources for media in a form that the consumer wants will undercut piracy. I also believe that the value of DRM is questionable in reducing piracy (and may even encourage it when it restricts consumer's access to legitimate sources).

Still, I had the urge to play with the numbers on PC gaming. If you subtract China from the equation, worldwide growth was closer to 7.5%. Still good, IMHO, but it is a good demonstration of how one market can completely alter the figures.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face So I got it wrong ?

I rather innocently thought, when I first dived into the seething world that is ereading, that DRM kind of stood for "Don't Read Me" - on any other reader but ours, even though you prefer it, and might think it better than ours, which may well be true .........

And of course, it greatly increases ( here we go, the hoary old chestnut) "consumer choice", dunnit ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Heh, we read what we want to read. This is the last paragraph in the music article:

Quote:
One other thing has clearly helped the music industry claw its way back to growth – a decline in piracy. The NPD report also noted a decline in unpaid music acquisition, such as P2P file sharing and trading music on hard drives. NPD estimates that 13% of Internet users downloaded music from a P2P site in 2011, down from a peak of 19% in 2006. In addition to giving customers more legitimate sources to find music, the industry has worked hard to crack down on file sharing sites.
In other words, it was both law enforcement AND more sources that led to renewed growth.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Heh, we read what we want to read. This is the last paragraph in the music article:

In other words, it was both law enforcement AND more sources that led to renewed growth.
The assertion that piracy fell because of greater law enforcement is not supported by any evidence in the linked article. That seems to just be the assumption of the author rather than a fact support by evidence.

I apologize for posting this all the time (this will be the 3rd and last time, probably) but it is appropriate:

The above is supported by evidence, you can view the report here. You'll note that the dates in the chart don't really correspond to the recent crackdowns.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah, the folly of ascribing gains significantly to a decline in piracy is that old convenient assumption that any instance of piracy is necessarily a lost sale, and the equally fallacious corollary attempted here that a thwarted attempt at piracy necessarily converts into a legitimate sale from a legitimate source. The mind does indeed infer what one wants to infer.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 03-08-2012 at 07:25 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Who needs piracy when every song is available for free on YouTube?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Music sales stage comeback; CD buyers up for second year

“After years of losing buyers, caused by many consumers who simply stopped buying music, the total number of CD buyers increased for the second consecutive year, growing 2% to 78 million [in 2011],” the company said."
I wonder what a "music buyer" is.

If I buy two CD's, am I two buyers?

If I buy twelve download tracks, am I twelve buyers?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
But it is not enough for them. They NEED to make more money and you know, all those downloads are all lost sales. They have the (doctored) figures to show us all!
But if they stopped making up all those graphs about lost sales and the decline of authors ever wanting to be motivated to write ever ever again, where am I going to read my free humor fiction?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I rather innocently thought, when I first dived into the seething world that is ereading, that DRM kind of stood for "Don't Read Me" - on any other reader but ours, even though you prefer it, and might think it better than ours, which may well be true .........

And of course, it greatly increases ( here we go, the hoary old chestnut) "consumer choice", dunnit ..........
DRM = "Diseased Reading Materials"
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
But if they stopped making up all those graphs about lost sales and the decline of authors ever wanting to be motivated to write ever ever again, where am I going to read my free humor fiction?
Oh so true. They are a perfect case study in believing their own lies.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Free? FREE? But, but.....we have copyright over those graphs you freeleeching pirate!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Free? FREE? But, but.....we have copyright over those graphs you freeleeching pirate!
That's when I can make up a pretty graph of my own and publish it - run through an image program, put all kinds of intellectual case study data crap underneath, and boom, instant PhD haha!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
They will never get it.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote