Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #91
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLau View Post
Another quick question, since I don't have the serial cable available, how I can know the Kindle Touch has succesfully booted into fastboot mode?

Thanks.
When a kindle in fastboot mode is plugged into your host PC USB port, you should see a USB device with VID/PID 0x1949/0xd0d0, indicating that the kindle is in fastboot mode.

You can also get the kindle fastboot tool and type (for the linux version):

sudo ./fastboot getvar bootmode

and it will show "<waiting for device>" until it sees a kindle in fastboot mode. When it sees one, it will run the command (getvar bootmode in this example) and exit.

Please do not use fastboot to erase or flash partitions on the kindle yet. The touch fastboot module seems to write to the wrong area, according to serial port status messages. There are other ways to do this that are more reliable at this time.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-27-2012 at 07:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #92
TommyLau
TommyLau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When a kindle in fastboot mode is plugged into your host PC USB port, you should see a USB device with VID/PID 0x1949/0xd0d0, indicating that the kindle is in fastboot mode.

You can also get the kindle fastboot tool and type (for the linux version):

sudo ./fastboot getvar bootmode

and it will show "<waiting for device>" until it sees a kindle in fastboot mode. When it sees one, it will run the command (getvar bootmode in this example) and exit.

Please do not use fastboot to erase or flash partitions on the kindle yet. The touch fastboot module seems to write to the wrong area, according to serial port status messages. There are other ways to do this that are more reliable at this time.
Thanks for your reply, I've removed the back cover and try to use the battery in Kindle on my Sprint Epic 4G with wired line, and it successfully turned on the Epic 4G and the phone shows its about 30% of the battery left, even I used the battery from Epic 4G, still no luck in getting into either diag mode nor fastboot mode. Any ideas?

PS. Both Kindle Touch's battery and Epic 4G's battery are 3.7V Lion battery, only difference is Kindle's is 1420mAh, Epic 4G's 1650mAh.

I can enter the HID(USB Recovery Mode), and if I tried to download the fastboot profile, it download six times, and it notice that download sucessfully, and then the lasting time is continue counting, the button still shows "Abort".
TommyLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #93
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLau View Post
Thanks for your reply, I've removed the back cover and try to use the battery in Kindle on my Sprint Epic 4G with wired line, and it successfully turned on the Epic 4G and the phone shows its about 30% of the battery left, even I used the battery from Epic 4G, still no luck in getting into either diag mode nor fastboot mode. Any ideas?

PS. Both Kindle Touch's battery and Epic 4G's battery are 3.7V Lion battery, only difference is Kindle's is 1420mAh, Epic 4G's 1650mAh.

I can enter the HID(USB Recovery Mode), and if I tried to download the fastboot profile, it download six times, and it notice that download sucessfully, and then the lasting time is continue counting, the button still shows "Abort".
If it is not the battery, then maybe you have a bad USB cable, or a bad USB port on your computer. Try plugging it into a different USB port. Try a different USB cable. Try a different host PC. To test you computer, you could try a different kindle.

It is possible that your kindle has its copy u-boot bist image damaged in mcc so that fastboot cannot work without reflashing your mmc. This can be done with MfgTool and different profiles (that need to be created), which will work even with a completely erased mmc, which is how it is flashed the first time at the factory.

We could do that too if we had a complete firwmare image to flash to the empty mmc. What we can do now is flash images of individual firmware partitions, but there are protected areas that appear to be write only and read as zeros in user-land programs (like dd), so backups of those areas (like the first 32MB of mmcblk0) may be incomplete, and flashing them to mmc may overwrite good hidden data with zeros (bad). You need to be in kernel mode (or in u-boot), to read those areas of mmc. This concept of "write-only" areas of mmc was proposed by yifanlu, and it makes sense to me based on evidence that I have seen.

Fastboot will allow you to erase the entire mmc. I strongly recommend that you do NOT do that.

It is also possible that your kindle hardware has failed, in which case a replacement kindle is your best option.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-27-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #94
TommyLau
TommyLau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If it is not the battery, then maybe you have a bad USB cable, or a bad USB port on your computer. Try plugging it into a different USB port. Try a different USB cable. Try a different host PC. To test you computer, you could try a different kindle.

It is possible that your kindle has its copy u-boot bist image damaged in mcc so that fastboot cannot work without reflashing your mmc. This can be done with MfgTool and different profiles (that need to be created), which will work even with a completely erased mmc, which is how it is flashed the first time at the factory.

We could do that too if we had a complete firwmare image to flash to the empty mmc. What we can do now is flash images of individual firmware partitions, but there are protected areas that appear to be write only and read as zeros in user-land programs (like dd), so backups of those areas (like the first 32MB of mmcblk0) may be incomplete, and flashing them to mmc may overwrite good hidden data with zeros (bad). You need to be in kernel mode (or in u-boot), to read those areas of mmc. This concept of "write-only" areas of mmc was proposed by yifanlu, and it makes sense to me based on evidence that I have seen.

Fastboot will allow you to erase the entire mmc. I strongly recommend that you do NOT do that.

It is also possible that your kindle hardware has failed, in which case a replacement kindle is your best option.
Thanks for your help again.

And I've changed different pc and laptops, also from windows, mac to linux, still no luck. Different USB cables from different brands were also being used.

Probably, the u-boot bist image is damaged, or it's the hardware issue that nothing I can do now, so I'm sending it back to Amazon, sigh...

Anyway, it's very appreciated for your kindly help, and I benefit a lot. Excellect work! Cheers!

Sincerely,
Tommy
TommyLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #95
geekmaster

I have it all figured out now. I can extract u-boots and kernels from backup images. I can flash them with uboot (except for mmcblk0p1 -- main system partition, which is too big for fastboot). After flashing diags, I can boot to it and install my data.tar.gz payload, and a copy of mmcblk0p1.img, and a RUNME.sh that uses dd to restore the main boot partition from the image. That last step did not complete for me because my battery was too discharged, but I know it will work. It did for dasmoover when I helped him recover his touch (after he recharged his battery when his kindle died restoring mmcblk0p1 like mine just did). So now to recharge, then to finish the restore.

Read more here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1983414

Update: It completed. I took about 30 minutes to finish copying mmcblk0p1 with bs=1024...
It all works now, but I had to crack dasmoovers root password from his image file. ;-)
And after booting to main, it is sitting at the factory screen telling where the touch zones are...

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-28-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #96
geekmaster

I have an mmcblk0p2.img file that has dropbear pre-installed. It can be flashed to the mmc with fastboot. The diags "Enable USBnet" item now starts dropbear. You can SSH in after about 20 secs while dropbear starts up. You cannnot flash mmcblk0p1.img because it is too big for fastboot, but you can SSH into diags and do:
dd if=/mnt/uw/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

You should not write to /dev/mmcblk0p1 while booted from main, and you should not write to /dev/mmcblk0p2 while booted from diags. Even reading from the device under the booted partition can create a damaged backup file, so you should boot the OTHER partition to make a backup. I have a RUNME.sh that automatically boots to diags and makes a backup of main, then reboots to main and backs up diags.

You can download the touch diags mmcblk0p2.img.gz file with SSH pre-installed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645
extract it, then install it with:
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmbclk0p2.img

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #97
geekmaster

I have an mmcblk0p2.img file that has dropbear pre-installed. It can be flashed to the mmc with fastboot. The diags "Enable USBnet" item now starts dropbear. You can SSH in after about 20 secs while dropbear starts up. You cannnot flash mmcblk0p1.img because it is too big for fastboot, but you can SSH into diags and do:
dd if=/mnt/uw/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

You should not write to /dev/mmcblk0p1 while booted from main, and you should not write to /dev/mmcblk0p2 while booted from diags. Even reading from the device under the booted partition can create a damaged backup file, so you should boot the OTHER partition to make a backup. I have a RUNME.sh that automatically boots to diags and makes a backup of main, then reboots to main and backs up diags.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #98
geekmaster

UPDATE: You can download the touch diags mmcblk0p2.img.gz file with SSH pre-installed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645 (at the bottom of the first post).

Extract it, then install it with:
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmbclk0p2.img

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #99
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Sharing just as I thought it could be interesting/preventative for others:

On Feb 28, I hit a semi-truck on my bike... Lucking and thankfully, I am Ok but Katie seemed to be frozen in the tree screen! I took care of her as she was in my backpack secured in a case but I don't know why!!!

Now I have a factory reset Touch but problem is still there!

After running geekmaster's RUNME.sh, I got the following log:

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                62.2M     53.4M      5.7M  90% /
which scares me to death! so I think the problem is running out of space in / but when I "ls -al /" (edited) I got empty in my log!!! Anyone any ideas?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 03-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #100
geekmaster

Do not do "ls -al /dev/root". That is the device, not the file system. That device is mounted at "/", which is the root. Do "ls -al /" instead.

Is your eInk screen working? It can be damaged by a shock. Try doing "eips -p" to display a pattern on it, or "eips -c" to clear the screen.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-02-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #101
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Do not do "ls -al /dev/root". That is the device, not the file system. That device is mounted at "/", which is the root. Do "ls -al /" instead.

Is your eInk screen working? It can be damaged by a shock. Try doing "eips -p" to display a patern on it, or "eips -c" to clear the screen.
oops! Sorry I forgot to edit my post, I actually ran it with / not /dev/root and I got a list, then sorted it by size, and now I'm trying to free some space by moving files to /mnt/us/backups/.

I can confirm that eInk is alright.

Update:
Now I have 27.1M space available but still dead. How much is available on a working Katie?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 03-01-2012 at 11:35 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #102
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Actually, there are additional bootmodes of "factory" and "reset". I could create additional u-boots and add MfgTool Profiles for them. I did not do that because I have not tested those boot modes and I am not sure what they do at this time.
I'd like to offer my Kindle Touch to try out these modes, since I don't think it can get much more bricked. My only means of talking to it now is through MfgTool (fastboot mode does something, but I can't get the tool to connect with it), and though I'm trying to learn how to create my own u-boot images to get me out of this it's going to be a really long time. It's a slim chance, but it would be amazing if one of those got it into a better state (maybe even factory state??)
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #103
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
I'd like to offer my Kindle Touch to try out these modes, since I don't think it can get much more bricked. My only means of talking to it now is through MfgTool (fastboot mode does something, but I can't get the tool to connect with it), and though I'm trying to learn how to create my own u-boot images to get me out of this it's going to be a really long time. It's a slim chance, but it would be amazing if one of those got it into a better state (maybe even factory state??)
If you can get to fastboot mode, you can do:

sudo ./fastboot setvar bootmode reset

or
sudo ./fastboot setvar bootmode factory

You can always change them back later...

to try out those modes. You need to reboot to see what they do. You might need a serial console to make sense of what they are doing. I thing I did try factory and it dropped to a bist command line on the serial port, as I recall.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #104
murz_07
Connoisseur
murz_07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
I can offer my Kindle to test these modes too. I have the same problem

Can I boot Kindle in these modes using MgfTool? I can't boot in fastboot mode.
murz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #105
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by murz_07 View Post
I can offer my Kindle to test these modes too. I have the same problem

Can I boot Kindle in these modes using MgfTool? I can't boot in fastboot mode.
You (or *somebody*) can compile a u-boot that changes the in-memory copy of the idme bootmode var to "reset" or "fastboot" just before it is used to decide which kernel to load.

(If not me, then who? If not now, then when? <== The geekmaster motto)

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot