Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: eBook Accessibility
Custom font sizes. 37 66.07%
Custom margin sizes. 12 21.43%
Custom background / text colors. 5 8.93%
Custom orientation (portrait / landscape). 9 16.07%
Convenience of book procurement (in terms of over the internet instead of lugging pBooks back home). 39 69.64%
Easier page turns with fewer repetitive motions. 16 28.57%
Easier device hold with less hand strain (flat palm, flat surface, light single grip, light double grip). 27 48.21%
Lighter device size / weight (in comparison with particularly heavy pBooks). 37 66.07%
Lighter library weight overall (either in terms of on-the-go reading or physically moving a library to a new home). 41 73.21%
Text to Speech reading and/or audiobook integration. 6 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
eBook Accessibility

What convenience/accessibility features do you like most about eBooks/eReaders over pBooks?

UNUTTERABLY SILLY POLL TO FOLLOW!

(Note that some of these options will not correspond to all devices, or even all e-Ink devices.)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Two (convenience of book procurement & audiobook integration) plus one that wasn't listed: lower prices. Since the bulk of my reading consists of public domain classics, I no longer have to buy them. I now get them free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I voted "Lighter library weight overall". Thousands of books on a single SDHC card is just awesome. Which would you rather carry?

CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Awesome poll idea ^^

Being able to read any book from your personal e-library at any time, anywhere. Also the convenience in general in relation with pbooks, i.e. size, weight and holding and keeping it open.

Also the ability to select our preferred font size is nice. I would consider the internet factor but sometimes I look at books at book sections of supermarkets or bookstores shelfs and when I get home I'm going to see online the ones that interested me and see their availability on Kindle.

Also you forgot one important one...

Free Books
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I picked the "light library" library-in-my-pocket option. I also would have picked "dictionaries lookup" (and "the blue one next to the fish" ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I picked the "light library" library-in-my-pocket option. I also would have picked "dictionaries lookup" (and "the blue one next to the fish" ).

Cheers,
Marc
Yes, I, too, was very disappointed to see that last feature was lacking. It's the main reason for my ereader.

hundreds of books in my purse. That's really my main reason.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL, I knew I was missing stuff. Free books and dictionary integration IS important.

Though I confess that by "accessibility" I was coming more from a "special needs" point of view. e-Readers are the best thing since sliced bread for a lot of people with wrist problems, eye problems, back problems, etc. Clearly I needed to also think about money problems and dictionary lookup issues, which are also MAJOR advantages of eBooks over pBooks!!

Also: SCARY MONKEY CLOWN FACE SIGHTING!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I picked the "light library" library-in-my-pocket option.
Did you then go on to pick the broken device option as putting an eink device in your pocket is a really good way to get the screen damaged?

Seriously, putting an eink device in your pocket does increase the chance of the screen getting broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@amara: pbooks still lure me in, though ):
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you then go on to pick the broken device option as putting an eink device in your pocket is a really good way to get the screen damaged?

Seriously, putting an eink device in your pocket does increase the chance of the screen getting broken.
Depends on the device. My PocketBook 360 with hard cover is PERFECT for pockets.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

The poll talked about not just devices, but ebooks, and my iPhone holds all my books quite comfortably in my pocket.

Or, you know, I picked and hyphenated "library-in-my-pocket" as one of those "turn of phrase" thingies.

But thank-you for the warning.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Depends on the device. My PocketBook 360 with hard cover is PERFECT for pockets.
As are my PRS-505, 350 & 650 with covers... also depends on the pockets... my PRS-505 travels everywhere (and every day) in my pocket and has done for several years... I suppose it also depends on how you treat yourself and your pockets...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
As are my PRS-505, 350 & 650 with covers... also depends on the pockets... my PRS-505 travels everywhere (and every day) in my pocket and has done for several years... I suppose it also depends on how you treat yourself and your pockets...
I'm carried gently on the backs of specially trained peacocks at all times, aren't you?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

My PRS-350 is in my pocket anytime I leave the house, unless I am reading with it. I have had it a while now and it has no scratches anywhere.

I do always wear outdoorsman shirts, and the pocket is my right breast pocket. Kept in the case there is not much risk.

Last edited by Phogg; 07-13-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Blindness
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote