Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Has the firmware update been released yet?

Just wondering if:
A) firmware update has been released to live? and

B) If it has: how's it working for those who have done the upgrade??
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know anything?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
I don't think the beta's even started... either that or no one with the beta is posting anything.

So that doesn't bode well.

That said it was promised on 'the week of june 28th' so that gives them 5 days to do something.

Last edited by Bismar; 06-28-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I signed up for the beta and haven't heard anything.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
The latest info I saw was the Twitter Q&A session with the CEO on Friday. In it, he says that the scheduled release was this week, and that's still the plan.

Personally, I would have been very surprised to wake up this morning and find it ready.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Especially if they were trying to work in downtown Toronto this weekend....
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
The beta program signup doesn't even have a way to let you state that you own a Kobo eReader (just lets you select from their software platforms). This makes me think they weren't really serious about releasing to people who signed up there or perhaps they overlooked that.

Correction - it is there now however I don't believe that option was available when I signed up.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Especially if they were trying to work in downtown Toronto this weekend....
Indeed! I'm in London, just a short distance away here... I heard on the radio on the my way home from work about the 900+ arrests and police cruisers being torched.... crazy!!!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Quote:
"...will start to roll out the week of June 28th"
That's what Michael Tamblyn said...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post
The beta program signup doesn't even have a way to let you state that you own a Kobo eReader (just lets you select from their software platforms). This makes me think they weren't really serious about releasing to people who signed up there or perhaps they overlooked that.

Correction - it is there now however I don't believe that option was available when I signed up.
It wasn't there when I originally signed up either. I signed up again with a different email address.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Still on schedule to roll out this week. We've actually shipped the upgraded software to the factory and all new devices manufactured as of this morning will have version 1.4 on them. Depending on logistics and how our retailers are distributing amongst their stores, I'm guessing you'll see these in-store probably 1.5 to 2 weeks from today.

The rollout to existing users is waiting on updating the Kobo Desktop Application (or the borders desktop app, or A&R, or Whitcoulls, etc) before we can roll out the update over-the-wire, that piece is taking a bit to test and we expect the first ones to go out this Friday.

In other words, you'll get a Desktop App update, and then the new desktop application will trigger the firmware update when you connect the device (you'll have to go through a wizard).

This will be roll-out so everyone won't get the update right on Friday. I'll try to find out what the roll-out plan is to get you more info.

And for those curious, yes we were definitely affected by the .. ah.. disturbances.. around the Downtown Toronto area. Some quite close to home office actually. Pretty scary.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks for the update, Sameer.

Is Kobo at the Indigo head office? If so, my office is just up the street from you, right in the heart of some of the fun ... And yes, it was a little worrisome seeing the neighbourhood on TV over the weekend.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Sameer, I recall some mention of a way to update using an SD card instead of the Desktop app. Is that being implemented as well? Will we be able to download a file ourselves to put on an SD card.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

Will this work for those of us running the linux version as well I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Still on schedule to roll out this week. We've actually shipped the upgraded software to the factory and all new devices manufactured as of this morning will have version 1.4 on them. Depending on logistics and how our retailers are distributing amongst their stores, I'm guessing you'll see these in-store probably 1.5 to 2 weeks from today.

The rollout to existing users is waiting on updating the Kobo Desktop Application (or the borders desktop app, or A&R, or Whitcoulls, etc) before we can roll out the update over-the-wire, that piece is taking a bit to test and we expect the first ones to go out this Friday.

In other words, you'll get a Desktop App update, and then the new desktop application will trigger the firmware update when you connect the device (you'll have to go through a wizard).

This will be roll-out so everyone won't get the update right on Friday. I'll try to find out what the roll-out plan is to get you more info.

And for those curious, yes we were definitely affected by the .. ah.. disturbances.. around the Downtown Toronto area. Some quite close to home office actually. Pretty scary.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Jestocost
Jestocost began at the beginning.

I'm another Kobo user running the beta Linux version of the Kobo app. Never installed the A&R version.

Will this work for us? Or could we, as mentioned above, use an SD card to apply the update?

Thanks for all your hard work and for keeping us updated!
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote