Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #61
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm British and the problem with Fowler's is that it's very difficult to use as a reference tool but not a book one could happily read beginning to end. It is fine for 'dipping into' during bored moments. The best easy reference for good English that I have is: "The Good English Guide; English Usage in the 1990s" compiled and written by Godfrey Howard. You could probably pick this up from Amazon second hand; although it's old, Shrunk and White's book is older.
Until you pointed this out, I was unaware that S and W were American.
Strunk and White's book is fairly old too. E.B. White wrote many books including "Charlotte's Web" and "Chicken Little." Back when he was in college one of his Prof's was William Strunk and yrs later (after Prof. Strunk had died) Mr. White was asked to update "The Elements of Style."And that's why it's known as Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" today.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Strunk and White's book is fairly old too. E.B. White wrote many books including "Charlotte's Web" and "Chicken Little."
I think maybe you are combining 'Stuart Little' and 'The Trumpet of the Swan' into 'Chicken Little.'

Not to be pedantic, but those are some childhood favorites there!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #63
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think maybe you are combining 'Stuart Little' and 'The Trumpet of the Swan' into 'Chicken Little.'

Not to be pedantic, but those are some childhood favorites there!
It could be. The titles are so close I could have mixed them up. My bad.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #64
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calling you a peasant was uncalled for. The woman who did it must be a snob.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #65
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhicks209 View Post
Calling you a peasant was uncalled for. The woman who did it must be a snob.
Holy crap, the thread LIVES! Didn't know anyone was still viewing this thread! I had completely forgot about it.

Anyway: oh yeah, majorly snobbish. But like I said, I take it as a compliment. It means I'm attracting attention. I have a few milestones for which I personally measure my success as a writer. The finish-line would obviously include becoming a NYT best-seller. Hell, if ebooks ever become eligible, then my wildest fantasy would become winning a Pulitzer Prize. For now, I'm much lower on my list, which would include selling 100 copies, being read on "Chapter A Day" on NPR, that sort of thing. Getting trolled was (or so I thought) about midway on my list. I thought I would have to gain a good amount of popularity and publicity for those to take their shots at me. Obviously, there are trolls who can't even make it in the Big Leagues. Maybe she got trolled out of the traditional trolling-circuit. Or maybe not. It's a nice fantasy, though.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #66
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
Holy crap, the thread LIVES! Didn't know anyone was still viewing this thread! I had completely forgot about it. [...]
Todd appears to be systematically reading one or two threads* every few days and adding comments. Not sure how far he intends to go back, as he hasn't show a lot of inclination to join an active discussion yet. ... Maybe he's just getting to know the place first.

* Well, the OP of the thread. See his quote of the 2008 OP to the User Poetry thread. I'm sure Taylor514ce might have appreciated that ... back around 6+ years ago when they were last active here.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #67
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Todd is interesting. We know each other from a different type of forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #68
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Todd appears to be systematically reading one or two threads* every few days and adding comments. Not sure how far he intends to go back, as he hasn't show a lot of inclination to join an active discussion yet. ... Maybe he's just getting to know the place first.
=> Back when Chat Avenue was the go-to for young people just discovering a rapidly expanding internet, how to interact on it, and learning what the hell "blogging" was (I, myself, was 14 at the time) I did the same thing. I went through section after section, posting and reviving old threads about things that interested me, quoting a lot of the original posters. This both got me going post-wise, establishing myself, as well as reengaged old users. It was interesting to see how much their opinions changed over a year or so.

I was actually heavily criticized for doing that at the time, so I chose to do something different here.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #69
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's easy enough to end up looking at old stuff on forums. Until you get used where everything is the date may not be obvious - I have certainly found that to be a problem on some other forums when just visiting. Indeed, I have found dates to be a problem generally on the Internet (for example, blogs that say "12-Dec" and forget to mention the year).

And everyone has to start somewhere, so I wasn't trying to be critical as such, merely curious.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #70
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's easy enough to end up looking at old stuff on forums. Until you get used where everything is the date may not be obvious - I have certainly found that to be a problem on some other forums when just visiting. Indeed, I have found dates to be a problem generally on the Internet (for example, blogs that say "12-Dec" and forget to mention the year).

And everyone has to start somewhere, so I wasn't trying to be critical as such, merely curious.
Or 07/09 can be either July 9 or September 7.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #71
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Or 07/09 can be either July 9 or September 7.
Speaking of dates: HOLY CRAP, CIN! Do you spend ALL day on this forum, or just reply to EVERY post in EVERY thread? I mean, Jesus!

I say this because you joined five years AFTER gmw, yet have about 13,000 more posts. Again: Je-SUS!

Or maybe you just cheated and spent the last two years competing on the Last Two Letters thread, hmmm? O.o
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #72
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Speaking of dates: HOLY CRAP, CIN! Do you spend ALL day on this forum, or just reply to EVERY post in EVERY thread? I mean, Jesus!

I say this because you joined five years AFTER gmw, yet have about 13,000 more posts. Again: Je-SUS!

Or maybe you just cheated and spent the last two years competing on the Last Two Letters thread, hmmm? O.o
Cinisajoy manages to say what she means in just a few lines. Whereas, me, I tend to spend an embarrassing amount of time over individual posts, only to find that I have managed to write far more than I should, and still been able to offend people I was trying not to offend ... it's a knack .

And, speaking for myself, there have been lengthy periods when this forum hears very little from me - usually the call of the work (the work that actually earns me enough to live on, provided I keep at it).

... Oh. And Cinisajoy cooks, and cooks always talk a lot . (At least, I assume all those cookery books actually get used.) Whereas I have a wonderful wife that spoils me rotten and never lets me near the kitchen at meal times.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We do discourage posting to old threads. It's rarely (I won't say "never", but rarely) useful to resurrect ancient threads, particularly when the poster you're replying to hasn't been active on MR for years. That's why the system warns you if you post to an old thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

5001 posts came from this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143018
Thanks. I need to go edit my 5000th post in that thread.
Post 15,000 was in the software jailbreak thread.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 AM   #75
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The first post in this thread was during this year, so it isn't truly old - as in several years old.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote