Device: Kindle
Very useful thanks
doxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #47
bah450
bah450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey,

sry i don´t understand what must be set by the preferences? (Python2.7...Python3.4)

regards
bah
bah450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah450 View Post
sry i don´t understand what must be set by the preferences? (Python2.7...Python3.4)
One or the other (or both if you have both versions of Python installed) must be configured with the path to the specified python interpreter on your system. If you have Python v2.7.x installed, it's usually enough to click the 'Auto' button.

If you have a more complex setup, you may need to to manually set the path by clicking the 'Set' button and browsing to wherever Python is installed on your system.

Of course, all things begin with actually HAVING Python 2.7 and/or Python 3.4 installed in the first place.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #49
bah450
bah450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ok, now it works!

much thanks!
bah450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #50
Fedwin
Enthusiast
Fedwin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks for this plugin. I am loving it!

One thing I noticed is that the nav that gets created doesn't remove the styling from the ordered list. I've been adding a link to the stylesheet and then adding this to the stylesheet:

ol {
list-style-type: none;
}

http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/ep...-nav-def-model

›2.2.4.1 The nav Element: Restrictions

› The ol element represents an ordered list. In the context of this specification, the default display style of list items must be equivalent to CSS list-style: none (Reading Systems with no CSS support must not show list item numbering). Authors may specify alternative list item styles using CSS, but these would obviously be ignored by Reading Systems that do not support Cascading Style Sheets.

I also end up manually changing the links to the original toc.xhtml to link the nav.xhtml file, since I always delete the toc.xhtml and leave the toc.ncx.

I have no idea if it is possible, desirable, or practical to automate these things or if you have any interest in doing so if it is. I just mention it so that an incredible plugin could be ever so slightly more so.

Thanks again. I am very happy that Sigil and this plugin exist.
Fedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really hate trying to make sense of specs sometimes.

How would a Reading System with no CSS support be expected to honor a CSS rule telling it that it shouldn't number the list items in an ordered list? Without CSS, isn't a numbered list the default for <ol> ?

I'm just not following the logic at all. For the life of me, it seems like I'm reading something like; "use CSS to ensure that reading systems without CSS don't number items (that, sans CSS, are going to generate list items with numbers by default)."

What am I missing?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-19-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Yes, these are improvements that I could make but I have a few questions ...

Would it be better to use something along the lines of the following to restrict it to just nav ordered lists?

nav#toc ol {
}

Do you include this in its own stylesheet which you then include as normal in a link tag in head of nav.xhtml?

When you replace the old toc.xhtml with nav.html, do you put the nav first in the spine or last?

Also how would you identify the name of the toc.xhtml file to remove since it is not forced to be called toc.xhtml nor need it be stanalone? Some decide to incorporate the toc directly with other intro material?

Perhaps a settings file, that allows the user to specify if he or she wants to remove the toc.xhtml and if so what exact file you want removed and where in the spine order they want it placed. Alternatively since the nav.xhtml is built from the toc.ncx and not the toc.xhtml, the user could simply remove it before invoking the plugin.

Not sure what would be best.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwin View Post
Thanks for this plugin. I am loving it!

One thing I noticed is that the nav that gets created doesn't remove the styling from the ordered list. I've been adding a link to the stylesheet and then adding this to the stylesheet:

ol {
}

http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/ep...-nav-def-model

›2.2.4.1 The nav Element: Restrictions

› The ol element represents an ordered list. In the context of this specification, the default display style of list items must be equivalent to CSS list-style: none (Reading Systems with no CSS support must not show list item numbering). Authors may specify alternative list item styles using CSS, but these would obviously be ignored by Reading Systems that do not support Cascading Style Sheets.

I also end up manually changing the links to the original toc.xhtml to link the nav.xhtml file, since I always delete the toc.xhtml and leave the toc.ncx.

I have no idea if it is possible, desirable, or practical to automate these things or if you have any interest in doing so if it is. I just mention it so that an incredible plugin could be ever so slightly more so.

Thanks again. I am very happy that Sigil and this plugin exist.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #53
Fedwin
Enthusiast

@KevinH

I think I see what you mean by "nav#toc ol" and that makes sense, as plenty of books have other lists in them that may be numbered. I didn't recall any lists in the epubs I converted today, so didn't worry about it; I just included a link to the already existing stylesheet and added the list-style-type: none to the existing stylesheet.

I moved the nav.xhtml file to the second position, just after the cover. Most books usually have it after the title and copyright, but every book is different and it seemed easiest to just put it second.

The books I converted today all had dedicated toc files, although like you said, some were not identifiable by name and I had to open a few html files before I found the toc.

Deleting the toc.xhtml before conversion would have saved me some work fixing the links. In the nav landmarks section and in the toc.ncx , there was always a link to the old toc.xhtml file. A few of the books had links in the chapter titles that linked back to the toc.xhtml. I changed those with a search and replace, but I had to see what to search for first and sometimes they were links to specific lines and not just the file. I think deleting the toc.xhtml file before I convert the book is what I will be doing going forward.

@DiapDealer

I think the spec is saying to ereader manufacturers and ereading software developers: You must display the nav as an unnumbered list UNLESS the epub specifies otherwise and you feel like allowing something other than nothing. It looks silly seeing, "1. Chapter 1: The First Chapter, which comes first," or even worse, "3. Chapter 1: Which We Thought Was First, but Appears to be Third." I can't imagine a hardware or software developer making a product for epub3 that wouldn't let the epub use CSS, but if such an abomination were to be created, it MUST display the nav as an unnumbered list or the IDPF will send around a guy with a sock full of pennies to explain it again. I think.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwin View Post
@DiapDealer

I can't imagine a hardware or software developer making a product for epub3 that wouldn't let the epub use CSS, but if such an abomination were to be created, it MUST display the nav as an unnumbered list or the IDPF will send around a guy with a sock full of pennies to explain it again. I think.
The scary part is that that actually makes a bit of sense to me!

But then I'm right back to; what is the CSS "list-display-type: none;" actually for then? The HTML5 compliant, CSS Utilizing reading systems I've used don't seem to need it (none of the retail EPUB3s I have include that CSS, yet no numbers are shown in the nav) and an EPUB3 reading system that doesn't support CSS can't use it anyway.

Oh well ... it doesn't seem like it would be very hard to implement it, and being compliant is probably more important than me understanding it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-20-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #55
Fedwin
Enthusiast

I just thought to put this in the header of the new nav and it seems to work fine. That way I don't need to add a link and modify the stylesheet.

<style type="text/css">
ol {
}
</style>
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That I can easily add to the next version of ePub3-itizer.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #57
wochristian
wochristian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, OS X
How does one install a Sigil plugin on OS X? I have Sigil running on my Mac and I can see a PugIns folder within the App. But all the plugins in that folder have *.dylib extensions.
wochristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,
The same way you do on any other OS. If you are using Sigil 0.8.4 or Sigil 0.8.5 simply go to the Plugins menu item and select Manage Plugins. There you can set the path to python 2.7 or 3.4 (or both) on your system and hit a button to add a new plugin.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #59
wochristian
wochristian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, OS X
Math ML

Exporting a EPub 2 file to EPub 3 is great but Sigl seems to strip out Math ML when when opening an EPub 3 file. Is there a way to open an EPub 3 file that does not destroy the EPub 3 elements that are already in place? For example, the following Math ML tags are removed if it is included in an xhtml page in an EPub.

Code:
<li><p>Consider a population (or society) of <math display="inline" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"><semantics><mi>N</mi><annotation encoding="application/x-tex">N</annotation></semantics></math> agents, each of which has wealth <math display="inline" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"><semantics><msub><mi>w</mi><mi>i</mi></msub><annotation encoding="application/x-tex">w_i</annotation></semantics></math>, where <math display="inline" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"><semantics><msub><mi>w</mi><mi>i</mi></msub><annotation encoding="application/x-tex">w_i</annotation></semantics></math> is the wealth of agent <math display="inline" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"><semantics><mi>i</mi><annotation encoding="application/x-tex">i</annotation></semantics></math>. The number of agents, <math display="inline" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"><semantics><mi>N</mi><annotation encoding="application/x-tex">N</annotation></semantics></math>, can be as little as ten to understand most of the model’s behavior.</p></li>

Last edited by KevinH; 04-06-2015 at 10:22 AM.
wochristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

Not yet. It is coming. Hopefully within a few weeks. There is an experimental version of Sigil 0.9.0 in github master that has removed tidy and Xerces and replaced it with an html5 aware parser. It also has Flightcrew stripped out into its own plugin.

Right now in Sigil master it will not remove any epub3 features but if you use the generate toc, or the metadata editor or any of those extra features, it will mess up the epub3 opf. So it still needs work but it is getting there. That is why I made the epub3-itizer an output plugin not an edit plugin.

I will play with your code above in my build from Sigil master to verify that it will not touch the mathml. It will be a good testcase.

Take care,

KevinH