Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Books your kids / teenagers actually enjoy

My son is always asking me for a good book to read. The problem with being an adult (at least most of the time) is that I have no idea what books kids are actually reading these days. I don't mean what books they should be reading but what books they actually want to read. It might be helpful if folks reply with the books their kids loved, remember to state their age and whether the book might appeal more to boys or girls.

Here's a few :
Age 10
Age 12
Age 13
Aged 14

Age 15
Age 16

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-30-2013 at 05:32 AM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Reading Recommendations" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Harry Potter" series has to be on the list, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added a link to what I think is the first book. I guessed 12+ age reading & assumed both sexes enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Adventure & Fantasy
12 (any) The Hobbit
12 (any) The Letter for the King
14 (any) Terry Prachett´s Wee Free Men and Discworld Series
14 (any) Treasure Island
14 (any) King Solomon`s Mines
14 (any) Around the world in 80 days
14 (any) Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea
16 (any) Lord of the Rings

Science Fiction
14 (any) Ender´s Game
16 (any) Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy
16 (any) the Dirk Gently Books (1 & 2)

Philosophy
10 (any) The Little Prince
14 (any) Sophie´s World
16 (any) Life of Pi
16 (any) The Alchemist

I only named the book of each author that stood out the most in my memory - in all cases, I enjoyed other works by the same authors as well.

Last edited by Pismire; 06-25-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
10+ (any) Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer.

10+ (any) Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.

10+ (any) Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan.

10+ (any) Kane Chronicles series by Rick Riordan.

All the links will direct you to the first book in the series.

Last edited by Gazella; 06-23-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added some more
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
My kids (8yr and 10 yr) have really enjoyed The False Prince
http://www.amazon.com/The-False-Prin...e+false+prince
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
10+ (any) Watership down, by Richard Adams

10+ (any) The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende

10+ White Fang and The call of the wild, both by Jack London
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

I've updated the list to include the new items. Please remember they have to be books that young folk actually want to read rather than books you'd like them to read. Also please be a little careful with the age ranges.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
My daughter (age 11) says:

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (9+)
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (10+)
Divergent (11+)

She likes Harry Potter up to Book 5, but she will wait until she is older to read the next ones as she feels they are getting too dark for her right now.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Freaky Dude
Freaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toys

Device: none
This is coming from a long time middle school teacher. HATCHET by Gary Paulsen is always a favorite. And THE WHITE MOUNTAINS by John Christopher is a great book for boys. I just looked it up and they're now calling it TRIPODS.
Freaky Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Freaky Dude
Freaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toysFreaky Dude shares his or her toys

Device: none
Sorry, I just thought of something else after looking down these lists. Many fine books here. But how many of them are FUNNY? Boys, especially, appreciate humor. There ain't much for them after the Wimpy Kid books. Yes, there are some. But humor is definitely considered "not great literature" by most educators. Look at the poetry kids start getting in middle school. It sort of gets killed for them. Not the kind of stuff kids love to listen to on the radio (meaning song lyrics). So students get down on poetry. I mean, what 6th grade boy really grooves (forgive the ancient vocabulary) on "Stopping by Woods on a Snowing Evening."
Freaky Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My niece, who just turned 8, loves the Junie B. Jones series. She also likes "Diary of a Wimpy Kid".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My 8 year old sister also loves

6-9 (girls) Junie B. Jones book series by Barbara Park.

9+ (girls) The Dork Diaries series by Rachel Renee Russel.

8+ (girls) Beezus and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #15
Melpomene
Nameless Being

Gender is totally irrelevant in this.