Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Preview of Kobo Glo and Mini from Indigo

Short but sweet from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ra7g0Gb3Xs
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Oh yum! I'm so happy the glo has a brightness slider. I was afraid it'd be too bright in the dark for my sensitive eyes. And the mini is nicer than I expected. Grrr.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Too bad the mini doesn't come with a micro SD card port. I was waffling between the glo and mini until I read that the mini only has 2G (I believe) of space, plenty for most but I like to have the option at least of expanding with an SD card.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'd love it if the Mini had a light.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I'd buy in a second if it had a web browser.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I'd buy in a second if it had a web browser.
Pretty sure they all have browsers. My Touch has a browser that works fine.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The browser is slow, ugly, and pretty rudimentary. I can though download from calibre server, dropbox, and cubby using it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Thus my eyes deceive me? The mini used a Viziplex screen?

What is with the "non-glass" screen Kobo say they have. No glass substrate? Or is it market jargon for the top cover of the screen??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
framboos
framboos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Here's another preview/review from the good ereader:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-the-kobo-glo/

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-mini-ereader/

The Glo looks really nice, but I just got my Kobo Touch 1 month ago so I'm trying to tell myself I don't really need the Glo...
framboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Oops - correction - see below...

The Mini does not use a vizplex display, it uses the e-ink Pearl that we are all familiar with: http://www.eink.com/customer_showcase_kobo_mini.html

However, if it is indeed 600x800, as reported somewhere that I can't locate at the moment, it will be higher pixel density - around 200ppi like the Glo.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-10-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
You would think they would better promote the screen having a plastic substrate and hence much more robust if it were the case. Cracked screens seem to be a very common complaint.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The Mini does not use a vizplex display, it uses the e-ink Pearl that we are all familiar with: http://www.eink.com/customer_showcase_kobo_mini.html
The Kobo website states: 5” E Ink touch screen; Vizplex V110 display; 16 level grey scale.

If you look at that eink.com website and have a look at what they say about the Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini, at the very end of each bit it states "Uses E Ink Pearl Active Matrix Display". But I don't think they all use the same display? Maybe they are all pearl, but the vizplex is a different grade?

As for the plastic mentioned in the screen, I really think there's probably a plastic layer, but the screen underneath is still going to be glass. There is no way they wouldn't have made an awful lot more out of it otherwise.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-09-2012 at 07:33 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
EldRick
Evangelist

Kobo web site states "Vizplex V110" display. E-ink site says it uses Pearl display.

Found an answer - from another site: "...Vizplex is the name of the e-ink screen, Pearl is simply the designation of the latest version of Vizplex..."

I confirmed this by looking at the Power-On screen on my Sony 950, which has the Pearl display - it says Vizplex while booting up.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-10-2012 at 01:57 AM.