Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Recommended Books (remove ones you own)

quick question

how do you get the recommended list to not show books you already own

should this be automatic, or do i need to go on the website and click that i have read the book
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
At least for now, you need to do that on the website. Like most things, Kobo will refine the way the recommendations feature works over time. Allowing us to do this sort of thing on device may happen, at some point.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks, be nice when it ignores purchased books

for now i will just mark them read on the website

cheers
Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
On other websites, managing the recommendations is much easier. For instance one option to remove the recommended book is "already own it." Also, there is a ranking system so you can rank the books you own (out of 5) to make better recommendations.

It would be nice if Kobobooks could improve their website's recommendations. I would look forward to using this feature if it is improved.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I think the feature seems pretty good so far - about half the books it recommended I had already read (borrowed from library) so it wouldn't have known that I'd read them, but they were books I would have been interested in. I haven't looked at the other recommendations yet, but if it was right on the others, so it seems promising.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think we can be pretty confident that Kobo will improve the recommendations as things progress. This is definitely their first pass at it. I just looked at Amazon and they are recommending plates to match some mugs I bought 5 years ago. If in 5 years I never bought anything that matched the mugs, why would I now? No system is perfect, even those that have been around for a very long time. Kobo has a ways to go .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
GoRead
GoRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I have the complete opposite view on the validity of the recommendations. On my ereader is nothing but current bestsellers. Yet there are absolutely none on my recommendation page. Instead I have "The Big Book of Sex Toys", "The Art of Sensual Massage" and "Canada's Indigenous Constitution"! I have marked most of the recommendations as "not interested" on the web page but still get to see them on the Kobo desktop and my ereader.
GoRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
PiersS
Enthusiast
PiersS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Is there no way to remove the Recommended For You bar from the main screen? I finally updated, and now have a book on whisky that I looked up but didn't buy, a Michael Jackson book, a book on how to pick up any girl, and a book about the ATP Tour, all underneath the covers of the books I'm actually reading.

It looks as though if I grab and drag to the trash that the covers of my current reads will be taken with them. very frustrating! I'm not a big fan of websites and now by ereader tracking me and guessing what I want to see
PiersS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
PiersS; take a look at the Kobo Touch Plugin Interface

This allows you to do things like hide the recommendations.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic

Not updated mine yet (update not available for UK users), but since starting this thread the recommendations have got slowly worse

As mentioned by PierS, it seems to include books you look at in the recommendations, for me it should only look at books you have bought/downloaded for free from kobo

I like the widget on home screen for books reading, but if it now includes irrelevant recommendations I will remove it
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
PiersS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
PiersS; take a look at the Kobo Touch Plugin Interface

This allows you to do things like hide the recommendations.
I'm not really one for coding
Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
PiersS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Not updated mine yet (update not available for UK users), but since starting this thread the recommendations have got slowly worse

As mentioned by PierS, it seems to include books you look at in the recommendations, for me it should only look at books you have bought/downloaded for free from kobo

I like the widget on home screen for books reading, but if it now includes irrelevant recommendations I will remove it
I share my Vox with my sons, and the best part of the main page was having 5 books on the main screen that were last accessed. Whoever had the reader could see and quickly tap the book they wanted.. now it's three books, and I'm not going to let them use it until I can get rid of the Secrets of Sexual Seduction from the Recommended bar
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiersS View Post
I share my Vox with my sons, and the best part of the main page was having 5 books on the main screen that were last accessed. Whoever had the reader could see and quickly tap the book they wanted.. now it's three books, and I'm not going to let them use it until I can get rid of the Secrets of Sexual Seduction from the Recommended bar
I assume you made that post of getsatisfaction?

If so it might be worth editing it and putting that your sons use the Vox and it is now showing adult recommendations on it, I know they where trying to get rid of these one but it doesn't seem to have worked

might also be worth removing the recommendations from the web site (mark as not interested), see if this filters down, not and ideal solution, but could be a temp fix at the moment
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
PiersS
Enthusiast

perhaps if I mark all 2.6 million books Not Interested, it will go away.. it just keeps replacing new crap over the old crap

Last edited by PiersS; 03-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic

if you go to www.kobobooks.com

after a few seconds you should see a bar near the top for recommended for you, if you hover the mouse over these books there is an option for not interested