Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Data Loss with 0.5

Two days ago I installed 0.5 and was very impressed with what I saw. I think it appears to be in good hands. However, the first epub I worked on was a very large file. I did saves regularly during my work. After approximately 6 hours of work I was schocked to see that my file had suddenly shrunk from over 700Kb to less than 150Kb. It was truncated at that point and the last 4/5ths of the file was gone. I did have a back-up, but lost the 6 hours of work. Sorry, I can't say what action it was that caused the data loss, but it scared me enough that uninstalled 0.5 and went back to 0.4.2 where I have not suffered any data loss in months.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Was it not perhaps some images which were no longer in the Images/ folder after opening it?
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

No, this particular epub had no images except a cover. It was all text. I did notice that the TOC got a bit messed up just before this happened. The same title appeared at two different locations, so I did a rebuild of the TOC, then a save. I then went to the end of the document to finish my work and it was truncated.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
dicknskip
Zealot

I have now gone back to 0.5. There was just too much good stuff in it. I do a copy of my files every half-hour or so now, just in case. I have had Sigil quit, just disappear on me, twice. Both times were doing a regex find that involved "</h1> a new line, new line and <h1>". Nothing was lost. I like the direction the new version is going. Thanks for it.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Barcelona
Barcelona began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
I have had Sigil quit, just disappear on me, twice. Both times were doing a regex find that involved "</h1> a new line, new line and <h1>".
Same thing here :
Search : <h1
Replace with : <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /><h1

Blam, Sigil quit.
Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I think it is sometimes surprisingly easy to delete things by doing some replacements.
E.g. search for (normal mode/all html files)
"
and replace it with
«

I havn't found out yet what exactly happens here, but ALL your text is gone...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I think it is sometimes surprisingly easy to delete things by doing some replacements.
"
and replace it with
«

I haven't found out yet what exactly happens here, but ALL your text is gone...
I'm not sure if doing that is a good idea But thanks for the test case!

Open a new file and just type into book view "hello" with the quotes
Switch to code view and open F&R
Set to Current File
Find: "
Replace: «
Replace All - works ok (except of course its now an invalid document as you'll see if you try to go to something in the book browser).

Now, repeat, except Set to All HTML Files
Replace All - text has disappeared (and its still invalid)

I've opened issue 1222 for it.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I'm not sure if doing that is a good idea But thanks for the test case!

Open a new file and just type into book view "hello" with the quotes
Switch to code view and open F&R
Set to Current File
Find: "
Replace: «
Replace All - works ok (except of course its now an invalid document as you'll see if you try to go to something in the book browser).

Now, repeat, except Set to All HTML Files
Replace All - text has disappeared (and its still invalid)

I've opened issue 1222 for it.
If you do that F&R in BV it messes with any declared class= or id= or URL/anchors
It would be nice if Sigil helped prevent foot shooting , but a user should have a clue if in CV
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Barcelona
Barcelona began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona View Post
Same thing here :
Search : <h1
Replace with : <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" /><h1

Blam, Sigil quit.
Another one :
Search : <p>
Replace with : <p><a href="chapter1.xhtml#">
Click All.

BLAM !!! Bye bye Sigil !
Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona View Post
Another one :
Replace with : <p><a href="chapter1.xhtml#">
Click All.

BLAM !!! Bye bye Sigil !
Now that one did crash 0.5.0, unlike my quick test of <H1.

Seems to be working okay for the next release though. Of course the file is invalid after this, although correcting automatically seemed to work ok. It also works okay across all files since the automatic corrections are working. (Unlike the quotation one - where the file is invalid but the replace just moves onto the next file which is what's killing the text, so that should be fixable).
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
"
and replace it with
«

I havn't found out yet what exactly happens here, but ALL your text is gone...
Adding to what meme said; I think this arises because all the " in the xml header:
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
get screwed up, if you replace in "current file" the well-formed xml check comes up, but if you replace in "all html files" the whole document(s) is wiped out.

You should be more careful with such replacements, e.g. use something like (regex):
Find: ([^=])"(\w)
Replace: \1«\2
since, IIUC, you want to replace, in a quotation, an opening " with «. This will catch most, but not all of them (e.g. sentences that start with an en- or em-dash or ...).

Last edited by Ahmad Samir; 02-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
The same thing happened to me as well.

Replace with : <p class="small"> (about 24 <p>s) I was using Current file.

Clicked All.

ZAP !!! Bye bye Sigil !

I tried it doing it one by one with the arrow heads and it went fine.

Tried it on another book (Book 2) and it crashed when I used ALL.

I rebooted my computer and ran Sigil again CRASHED when I used ALL,

I use Windows 7 X64
i7 processor. 8 gigs ram.

Peace,
John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2011 View Post
The same thing happened to me as well.

Replace with : <p class="small"> (about 24 <p>s) I was using Current file.

Clicked All.

ZAP !!! Bye bye Sigil !
Its the searching in Current File that does it. It should work ok in All Files.

I've been working on fixing a similar issue, but my test case wasn't crashing 0.5.0 like this one, so thanks for the example.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
You should be more careful with such replacements, e.g. use something like (regex):
Find: ([^=])"(\w)
Replace: \1«\2
I'm aware of that...
What I use to replace " is something like this:
Find: (>[^<]*)"
Replace: \1«
(of course my real statement is a bit more complicated since I don't want all "s to «s...)
But with the above statement you will just search (and replace) outside of HTML or XML tags.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Its the searching in Current File that does it. It should work ok in All Files.
I had a few crashes with Sigil 0.5, and ALL were while replacing in Current File, there is something very faulty with that one...