Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: kindle
Smile Does Kindle read Hindi language?

A big HELLO! I'm from India and this is my first post in this forum.

I want to gift my father a basic Kindle because reading on the PC LCD display hurts his eyes. He reads English and Hindi ebooks. While English is not a problem, I want to know if Kindle displays Hindi text properly.

To display Hindi two extra things are required. 1. Unicode support and 2. Complex script support.

I have a request. Please download the attached UTF-8 encoded Hindi text file and load it in your Kindle. Take a screenshot and post it here. It will help me determine if Hindi displays correctly in Kindle.

Thanks,

Swapnil
Attached Files
File Type: txt Hindi_Story.txt (4.6 KB, 1564 views)
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The Kindle fonts support Hindi, but, AFAIK, the rendering engine cannot handle Unicode vowel signs that logically follow the base letter but need to be displayed left of it.

Have a close look at the two screenshots and check the display of vowel signs that need to be displayed left oft the base letter because they'll most likely be displayed right of it.

The screenshots were taken with an older K3, but, AFAIK, the latest Kindle model cannot handle the complex scripts used in India either, and since Hindi is not one of the officially supported languages, it's not very likely that this will change in the future.

EDIT: Only the new KF8 format (.azw3) supports Devanagari. Make sure to select AZW3 as the output format when converting books with Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.JPG
Views:	3667
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	104633   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2.JPG
Views:	2916
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	104634  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi hinid.mobi (32.3 KB, 1264 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-22-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Added AZW3 information
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
geekyworld
Enthusiast
geekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the endgeekyworld knows the complete value of PI to the end

Thanks a zillion Doitsu! I'm really grateful for your timely help.

As can be seen in the screenshots, Hindi (Devanagari script) is rendered correctly even in the older Kindle 3. I have gone over the screenshots minutely and cannot find any misplaced vowels (called matras in Hindi). Everything is rendered as it should be. The default font is not very pretty, but I'm sure that can be changed with a hack.

This is great news indeed because this means all the languages that use the Devanagari script like Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi, Konkani, Nepali etc. can be rendered correctly on Kindles even though they are not officially supported.

When I buy my Kindle I'll do a similar survey for all the Indic languages also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The Kindle fonts support Hindi, but, AFAIK, the rendering engine cannot handle Unicode vowel signs that logically follow the base letter but need to be displayed left of it.

Have a close look at the two screenshots and check the display of vowel signs that need to be displayed left oft the base letter because they'll most likely be displayed right of it.

The screenshots were taken with an older K3, but, AFAIK, the latest Kindle model cannot handle the complex scripts used in India either, and since Hindi is not one of the officially supported languages, it's not very likely that this will change in the future.
geekyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
shashanktiw
shashanktiw began at the beginning.

Post hind and kindle

Hi Geekyworld

i know its been few months
I wanted to did u find ur answer about hindi in Kindle
Are you using the kindle and erading hindi books in that.????

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyworld View Post
Thanks a zillion Doitsu! I'm really grateful for your timely help.

As can be seen in the screenshots, Hindi (Devanagari script) is rendered correctly even in the older Kindle 3. I have gone over the screenshots minutely and cannot find any misplaced vowels (called matras in Hindi). Everything is rendered as it should be. The default font is not very pretty, but I'm sure that can be changed with a hack.

This is great news indeed because this means all the languages that use the Devanagari script like Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi, Konkani, Nepali etc. can be rendered correctly on Kindles even though they are not officially supported.

When I buy my Kindle I'll do a similar survey for all the Indic languages also.
shashanktiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
What does the red boxed "hacks" that you see on the thread list beside this thread mean?
Thank you
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
the person who started the thread assumed a hack might be needed for kindle to allow it to read hindi etc, but this is not the case
nothing to worry about!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
tapish.mrd
tapish.mrd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Could you please tell me where I can get the whole of this version of "Do Bailo Ki kataha"?

I loved the new version of it written in this example script

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-11-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: edited for clarity by the moderators
tapish.mrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapish.mrd View Post
Could you please tell me where I can get the whole of this version of "Do Bailo Ki kataha"?
It's been a while since I created this test file, but, AFAIK, I used the Wikisource text.

BTW, Amazon has added the Google Noto Sans fonts (Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu) to the firmware versions of current Kindle models.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #9
tapish.mrd
tapish.mrd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
A huge Thanks for the Source of the book....and I would attach the one I created

do bailoN kii kthaa - MasterMind.mobi

This one works on Kindle...and awesome Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It's been a while since I created this test file, but, AFAIK, I used the Wikisource text.

BTW, Amazon has added the Google Noto Sans fonts (Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu) to the firmware versions of current Kindle models.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-15-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spaced attachment link
tapish.mrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You could upload your conversion of the Wikisource text to the MobileRead library.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #11
uttarandtt
uttarandtt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can anyone confirm if the kindle voyage has custom bengali font (e.g. "kalpurush") support or not? I tried with kindle paperwhite, with kalpurush bengali font, it does not display the words properly.
uttarandtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttarandtt View Post
Can anyone confirm if the kindle voyage has custom bengali font (e.g. "kalpurush") support or not? I tried with kindle paperwhite, with kalpurush bengali font, it does not display the words properly.
All current Kindle models (6th generaton Kindle Paperwhite (AKA Paperwhite 2) and higher) with the latest firmware come with Indic Google Noto Sans fonts (Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu). I.e., you shouldn't have to embed any font at all as long as you convert your epubs to AZW3 books with Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noto_Indic_Fonts_Test.png
Views:	369
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	162790  

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.