Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
johnnytruant
johnnytruant doesn't litterjohnnytruant doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad, Aura HD
bit of fun - changing boot image

Just wondering if anyone had done this?

Obviously, I'd like to replace iRex's rather dull bootsplash with something a bit more relaxing, perhaps a graphic that reminds me - in large, friendly letters - not to panic.
johnnytruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytruant View Post
Just wondering if anyone had done this?

Obviously, I'd like to replace iRex's rather dull bootsplash with something a bit more relaxing, perhaps a graphic that reminds me - in large, friendly letters - not to panic.
The boot image is in an area that isn't accessible to users. According to iRex, trying to change the boot image will likely result in a brick.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
You can change the background that appears when updating iLiad.
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
similar vane, i was wondering if anyone had considered implementing a screen saver....

i know its kind of odd, but i was thinking the other day, its always on, but not necessarily in use - so i wonder if we could detect the absence of any screen or page turns in a certain length of time, and activate a screen save e.g. to display photos or similar

saving of the screen here, could also refer to reducing ghosting issues.
a cheap solution i suppose would be to activate the screen saver manually

anyone interested in this idea? or am i just losing it on friday afternoon
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
similar vane, i was wondering if anyone had considered implementing a screen saver....

i know its kind of odd, but i was thinking the other day, its always on, but not necessarily in use - so i wonder if we could detect the absence of any screen or page turns in a certain length of time, and activate a screen save e.g. to display photos or similar

The note viewer has a slideshow function built in. This could very well act like a manually launched screensaver. I have yet to be able to create a slideshow file that works correctly though...It's hell when you don't have the specifications.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
The note viewer has a slideshow function built in. This could very well act like a manually launched screensaver. I have yet to be able to create a slideshow file that works correctly though...It's hell when you don't have the specifications.
Interesting. How did you know that this feature even existed? I don't recall seeing anything about it in the docs. Is it another one of those magical things that can be done with manifest files but we have not been told about?
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Interesting. How did you know that this feature even existed? I don't recall seeing anything about it in the docs. Is it another one of those magical things that can be done with manifest files but we have not been told about?
It's listed as a file extension in the registry. I'm doing some work on the manifest now to try to get it working correctly.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
johnnytruant
johnnytruant doesn't litterjohnnytruant doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad, Aura HD
Quote:
The boot image is in an area that isn't accessible to users. According to iRex, trying to change the boot image will likely result in a brick.
Bah. That's no fun at all.

thanks Adam.
johnnytruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post

I've made an example slideshow here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20320