Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
lacol
lacol began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000s (dead), dr800sg
Exclamation WARNING: Avoid DR800S on PICKABOOK

Last February, I found that the online library www.pickabook.co.uk listed the Irex DR800S, brand new, at about 240$ CAN. Their inventory listed only one item remaining. Knowing that Irex's are no longer being manufactured, I thought that this was probably my last chance to get a DR800S or DR800SG, new, at a reasonnable price. And since my research concluded that pickabook seemed like a serious reputable business, I placed my order with them.

Two weeks later I received my order. Imagine my disapointement when I realized that what they'd sent me WAS NOT AN IREX DR800S, But instead an average six inch screen ELONEX EBOOK 621EB, a device that is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever.

I promptly sent then an e-mail explaining the situation and requesting that they either send me the device I actually ordered, or give me a full refund of my purchase price.

Today, a whole week later, I have received absolutely no communication from them whatsoever. Worse, I realized during the week that they now list three more brand new DR800S' in their inventory, something that I find hard to believe since they are no longer being manufactured. My belief is that these three items are actually NOT DR800S', but ELONEX EBOOKs similar to the device I received, but falsly listed as DR800S'. Whether this false listing is intentional or not remains to be determined. Today I sent them another e-mail, arguing that a week was plenty of time for any serious business to at least get back to a customer, and again asking what they intend to do about the situation. I'll keep you posted.

I'm not in the habit of badmouthing a business on online forums, but still I felt it appropriate to at least warn people about my bad experience, and to advise them to at least consider delaying their purchase decision if they were considering buying a DR800S from pickabook.
lacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
On their site, product number and image currently match that Elonex eReader. That's no iRex DR800 at all. They'd best fix that wrong heading, before they have a slew of customers to refund.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
lacol

They finally contacted me yesterday, telling me that they are trying to get in touch with their supplier (distriread UK) to try to sort this out. We'll see.

An online library based in Australia were also selling brand new dr800s' on ebay. They also listed their supplier as distriread UK. Curiously, their listing disapeared from ebay today, even though last time I checked their were still claiming to have 3 devices left in inventory (and had been for some time).

So maybe things are moving along. I hope so because I want my money back.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
lacol

Well, as I suspected, the problem was with their supplier (distriread UK), which had Elonex devices in inventory but erroneously listed them as Irex's.

Pickabook have offered me to refund my original purchase price, plus shipping of sending the device back to them.

So all is well. Except that I still am without a dr800...

There's something I still don't get though; Mine was not the first erroneously listed device that they sold, and yet mine seems to be the first complaint they received. So why did the previous buyers say nothing ? Didn't they notice they weren't shipped what they had ordered ? What's wrong with people ?!

Last edited by lacol; 03-11-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Gwaihir
The Windlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacol View Post
So why did the previous buyers say nothing ? Didn't they notice they weren't shipped what they had ordered ? What's wrong with people ?!
Perhaps the previous buyers were aware of what they ordered? The heading said DR800, but the rest of the info was about what was actually being sold..
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Wizard99
Wizard99 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR 800
Can confirm warning

Hi, I've registered here to confirm the warning. I ordered an ebook reader on Ebay.com.au listed as "Irex Digital Reader 800s NEW". There was no photo in the listing, neither of the Irex nor the Elonex. But the advertising text clearly dealt with the Irex reader boasting an 8.1 inch screen etc. The ISBN in the listing was the ISBN of the Elonex reader (as I found out later). The reasonable price, the low shipping costs and the fact that the item was located in the UK (no import fee etc.) were the main reasons why I bought the device. But it also turned out to be the Elonex EB621 reader with a 6 inch screen. The seller is willing to give me a full refund, but I also still don't have an Irex DR800...by the way, if you enter the ISBN of the Elonex in Google you'll still find other shops selling the Elonex under the Irex's name...

Last edited by Wizard99; 03-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Wizard99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Gwaihir
The Windlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard99 View Post
by the way, if you enter the ISBN of the Elonex in Google you'll still find other shops selling the Elonex under the Irex's name...
Indeed, it seems to be spreading. The downsides of mindlessly offering a supplier's catalog, it seems . Distriread UK has its data messed up and many a shop offering its products is now advertising the DR800S at a great price, but without any hope for us buyers of ever receiving one.

Last edited by Gwaihir; 03-16-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I bought it via ebay as well and was shipped the wrong device. The ebay vendor did promptly correct the issue through a refund, but still frustrating.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
(sorry, wanted to give a wrong link ..)

Last edited by dima_tr; 03-22-2011 at 04:03 PM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
Franky
Nameless Being

it seems that http://www.centralpoint.nl/zoeken/irex/ is still selling them. They give you 1 year guarantee and are willing to install the latest software.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Has anyone ever ordered from these folks? Do they ship internationally?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Franky
Nameless Being

right, the Dutch one doesn't deliver outside the country, but a little bit of google search and you can find yourself a DR800. Prices are different. What also could be a idea is buying a secondhand one.

even if I'm Dutch myself, I don't live anymore in that country, but other members of this side do. they might be willing to help you. you should look at marktplaats.nl en dearch for irex e-reader. there you got a couple.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

i've been searching google, but can't seem to find any new ones for sale. Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Ships from NY : http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Good luck in catching this one!
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Saw that one but was hoping to find a new one from somebody that would ship to the U.S.