Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-24-2024, 12:54 AM   #1
Lewi
Lewi began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Is it possible to fetch older issues of news magazines?

I'm wanting to download issues of The Economist older than the latest issue, in the 'fetch news' section of Calibre. Is this possible without scripting? If it isn't, could someone point me in the direction of good resources for opening up Calibre's functionality with scripting? Thank you.
Lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Modify the recipe to download whatever you like, https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/news.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:55 PM   #3
hongho71
Enthusiast
hongho71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just edit the recipe on line 15

# For past editions, set date to, for example, '2020-11-28'
edition_date = None

For example, I used this date and it pulled up this issue. Use Saturday dates.
edition_date = '2024-04-13'
hongho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:34 AM   #4
Lewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongho71 View Post
Just edit the recipe on line 15

# For past editions, set date to, for example, '2020-11-28'
edition_date = None

For example, I used this date and it pulled up this issue. Use Saturday dates.
edition_date = '2024-04-13'
Thank you! I've downloaded an earlier version of The Economist based on your suggestion. But I looked at other recipes and I realized that not every recipe has the ability to change the publication date directly.
I found this api based on the API documentation for recipes shared by the creator of calibre, but unfortunately I don't know anything about programming and I can't read this stuff at all. How can I change the publication date in each recipe? Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2024, 12:39 AM   #5
Lewi

Thank you! I've downloaded an earlier version of The Economist based on your suggestion. But I looked at other recipes and I realized that not every recipe has the ability to change the publication date directly.
I found this api based on the API documentation for recipes shared by the creator of calibre, but unfortunately I don't know anything about programming and I can't read this stuff at all. How can I change the publication date in each recipe? Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2024, 12:55 AM   #6
Lewi

Apologies.I just got confused about the difference between publication date and edition date, and what I want to ask is actually how to change the edition date of each recipe?
Old 04-25-2024, 01:05 AM   #7
hongho71
Enthusiast
hongho71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you are talking about other recipes besides The Economist, then each website and recipes will be different on how you get past issues (if it is even possible) which I know nothing about.
hongho71 is offline   Reply With Quote