Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Noto
Noto began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have
My new PB Touch HD 2 ( PB631 )

Hello to all.
I open this discussion because I bought the reader in question, and because I have various doubts and questions, so as to enclose the various answers in one thread.
First I thought about updating the software, putting my caliber library on dropbox and sync.
But I would also like to try koreader and coolreader... can you tell me the guides to follow to install them ?
Noto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Koreader works just by unpacking this package https://github.com/koreader/koreader...2018-07-29.zip

The instructions are as follows:
Quote:
- copy and merge the `applications` directory in the unzipped archive into your PocketBook's USB root directory

- copy and merge the `system` directory in the unzipped archive into your PocketBook's USB root directory
I normally unpack with care: not directly onto PB. I unpack on my computer first and then I transfer the unpacked folders to PB. And I do not "copy and merge". I go into the unpacked folder, I copy all content, then go into the respective destination folder and paste. If anything needs to be overwritten, I make backups.

There are reports of excessive crashes on Touch HD 2. I have owned the first Touch HD and Koreader was crashy on it (once we got it to work in the first place) but still quite usable, not overly frustrating.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Noto

Thanks!!
I wanted to backup the folders, but I do not see that "System"
Among the settings I made the backup, but it is a few mb so it will not be backed up by the archive
Is there a procedure to do it?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
2 things I can add:

1. If you put both Coolreader and Koreader on your Touch, you will need to manually amend the extensions.cfg file on your Touch to include both reader apps as options for epubs to “open with” for when you long-hold on a book in your library.

2. On my Touch HD, I have found the last reasonably stable version of Koreader to be April ‘18. The last few since then are basically unusable on my Touch.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Noto

I have not said it yet.
I was looking for a way to make a complete backup, in case I had to create problems.
But connecting it to the PC I can not even see the System folder.
On Android devices I simply had to root and use dedicated apps, but here I do not know how to proceed... advice?

Links to the guides to edit extensions.cfg file ?
Advert
Old 10-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I don’t use Windows but I believe you have to set the PC to show hidden files before you can see the System folder.

As for the extensions.cfg file, perhaps the best starting point is to open up the extensions.cfg file in the Koreader files you have downloaded (use something like Notepad or Notepad++). You will see that against each file type there is reader app name - where there is more than one reader app name (they are separated by a comma) the first name is the default. Against ePub you will see Koreader.app has been set as the reader app.

If you look at the extensions.cfg in the download of Cool Reader, you will see something like cr3-pb.app set as the default reader for epub.

To give you the option to choose between reader apps, just amend the relevant file type line of code for example:

epub:@EPUB_file:1:cr3-pb.app,eink-reader.app,koreader.app:ICON_EPUB

...this gives the option to open ePub with Cool Reader, the in-built reader app or Koreader but Cool Reader is set as the default because it comes first.

The extensions.cfg file sits in System/config on the Pocketbook.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Noto

I have already enabled the view of hidden files, but I can not see the system folder

But if I had something, is there a way to restore everything? Do you have a section to download the software needed for a format and restore?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The FAQ section of the following page has instructions on how to show the hidden system files: http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/sup...ok-touch-lux-3. It seems to take multiple steps to accomplish.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote