Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
wd2crv
wd2crv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader touch edition
Pages will not swipe

Hi everyone,

I am new to Kobo and new to the forum. I have spent the last few hours looking for an answer to my problem but just can't find it - I apologize if it has been answered previously.

I cannot swipe the pages to simulate a real page turn. I have tried swiping from right to left, horizontally as the manual says, at all variety of speeds .
But all I can do is tap to turn the page.

The book I am using is not a kepub, it is side-loaded (see I'm getting the lingo) - would this make a difference to the swipe?

Thanks so much in advance for any answers you can give me!
wd2crv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
It should make no difference. I have had occasional sensitivity issues with my KT and just restart it which remedies the problem.. Maybe if you restarted your KT.. What version of the Firmware are you using btw.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
wd2crv

Thanks for your response Xennex1170!

The model is Kobo touch (brand new today - I won it!) and it is version 1.9.12.

All the software was downloaded today so I would expect that it is up-to-date?

I really wish I could get it to swipe cause I don't like the flicker as the page changes...

ps I've reset it and still will not swipe - not even in manual that comes with the Kobo - is it possible I have a defective unit??

pps and I have tried swiping some of the preview books and it won't work there either

Last edited by wd2crv; 10-20-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For the flicker... have you checked the page refresh option
  • open a book
  • touch the bottom of the screen to bring up the options across the bottom of the screen
  • select the spanner
  • then advanced options
  • change the refresh option as you see fit

You can also here change the areas for the touch operation.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
Thanks for your response Xennex1170!

The model is Kobo touch (brand new today - I won it!) and it is version 1.9.12.

All the software was downloaded today so I would expect that it is up-to-date?

I really wish I could get it to swipe cause I don't like the flicker as the page changes...

ps I've reset it and still will not swipe - not even in manual that comes with the Kobo - is it possible I have a defective unit??

pps and I have tried swiping some of the preview books and it won't work there either

quite possible it may be defective, but try this; from the main menu, go to options, then to extra's, and hit the launch sketchbook; try tracing lines from left to right and right to left, starting from the top of the page..is it doing anything? If the sensors are working well, then you should be able to see lines created rather well, athough there may be small gaps here and there. If there are no lines, or there are major gaps, then you may have a problem.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Just to clear things up; you know that the swipe is just another way of tapping? There is no page Animation (Like Ipad). The swipe is just so that if you are only holding it one handed you can swipe from right to left with your thumb to go to previous page.

Please disregard this post if you already knew this.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
(
As Terminator just pointed out there is no difference in the actual the page change when you swipe or when you tap. The only difference is the movement of your finger/thumb or whatever bit you use to turn the page.

The "flicker" you describe will be exactly the same with either a swipe or a tap but can be changed from every page to once every 6 pages by following PeterT's instructions in post #4.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
wd2crv

Oh you are all wonderful! LOL I have learned so much in your five posts!

Terminator, your post was the most informative! I was expecting a page animation to occur! Doh! The User Guide says this "To page forward, place your finger on the right edge of the screen and quickly drag it horizontally to the left. The page will turn just like a real book." This is why I am looking for animation.

Harley and Peter T - thanks I did change the refresh and that makes it better.
Psyke - I tried your solution and there doesn't seem to be any gaps - neat sketchbook app!

Thanks everyone - so we are all agreed that there is no point looking for a page animation?

You are all so helpful and great!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Correct.. there is no page animation!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote