Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
CalibrePegasus
CalibrePegasus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
[Kobo] Sending multiple books to device : one error stops all

Hello, I have about 9000 books loaded in Calibre but sending them to my Kobo Aura HD takes an awful lot of time because each time an error occurs with one file, the whole "send" instruction is aborted and I have to repair the issue with that one file and redo the whole send.

Until the next error ...

Is there a way that the "send" instruction proceeds with the books that are OK and at the end gives a list of books that where not processed and need attention ?
This way I could send all 9000 books to my device overnight and in the morning treat the ones that were not processed.

Tx
CalibrePegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are you talking about in calibre or when the device does the import? On the device, there isn't anything you can do. You have to fix the broken one, or remove it, to do more.

In calibre, I think this means you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver to send the books as kepubs. If so, there is an option to "Silently ignore failed conversions" in the driver. If you turn that on, if the transformation to kepub fails, the epub will be sent instead.

If that isn't the case, we need to know what the error is. What to do depends on the error. It might be possible to continue, but it might also be a bad idea. Or just not possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
CalibrePegasus

Thank you !

I did indeed instruct the "send" from Calibre and used the KoboTouchExtended driver.
On your advice I set the "Silently ignore failed conversions" to on and that solved the issue.
Now I can do a large transfer of books without interrupt.

Unfortunately, when I had the 9000 books transferred, my KB Aura HD crashed and displayed the message that I should do a factory reset.
I did and then it went wrong : I did several reinstall attempts but they all failed for several reasons : not being able to connect properly to my computer to download and upgrade the firmware, whether I tried it by Calibre or by Kobo Desktop.

Now I am the stage where I cannot re-initiate again because the Kobo does not shutdown completely : the display is still on and I can't power it off (which is needed to do a manual factory reset).
So now I'm waiting for it to power off completely when the battery is fully discharged but that could take days.

If you have any advise on this it will again be much appreciated ...
Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibrePegasus View Post
Thank you !

I did indeed instruct the "send" from Calibre and used the KoboTouchExtended driver.
On your advice I set the "Silently ignore failed conversions" to on and that solved the issue.
Now I can do a large transfer of books without interrupt.

Unfortunately, when I had the 9000 books transferred, my KB Aura HD crashed and displayed the message that I should do a factory reset.
That's unfortunate. I usually restrict my transfers to 1000 or less. That is mainly because on older firmware it could take a lot longer to import the books, but, it is also in case of problems.
Quote:
I did and then it went wrong : I did several reinstall attempts but they all failed for several reasons : not being able to connect properly to my computer to download and upgrade the firmware, whether I tried it by Calibre or by Kobo Desktop.

Now I am the stage where I cannot re-initiate again because the Kobo does not shutdown completely : the display is still on and I can't power it off (which is needed to do a manual factory reset).
So now I'm waiting for it to power off completely when the battery is fully discharged but that could take days.
The first step of the manual factory reset should be to hold the power switch in the off position for about 20 seconds. This will force the device to turn off, but the screen won't change. Then you can do the rest of it.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
CalibrePegasus

I did that a couple of times already : what happens is that the LED switches on for a couple of seconds, then the display flickers 2-3 times between off and on and then it returns on and stays that way without anything else following
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I did that a couple of times already : what happens is that the LED switches on for a couple of seconds, then the display flickers 2-3 times between off and on and then it returns on and stays that way without anything else following
An e-Ink display does not need power to maintain the display (see bistable).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You did what already? My post said how to force the device to turn off. If you do that correctly, you won't see any changes. Unless the screen light is on, in which case it will turn off.

After that, you need to do a manual factory reset. Is that when you saw the LED flicker? And which LED? The power LED, or the screen LED?

And to be explicit, for a Kobo Aura HD, the manual factory reset steps are:
  1. Charge the device for at least an hour.
  2. Force the device to turn off by holding the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds.
  3. Hold the light switch down and turn it on.
  4. Release the light switch when the screen changes.

All steps are important.