Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #46
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen
The one thing that I can do in the Kindle Universe that I have not found a way to do in the Kobo Uni is have a side-loaded book on my kindle and my iPhone and have the reading progress synced.

Other than that, I'd say the features of the ClaraHD and Paperwhite are pretty close to each other.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #47
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Ha ha, I already have a back up reader, the basic 2019. But that is not waterproof, maybe I NEED a waterproof back up!
Definitely.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would only read KePub if I needed something RMSDK doesn't do. And the only thing is image zoom. So unless I need image zoom, I'll stick with ePub.
For me, I like the one screen = one 'page' (and no, I don't want to argue about it). It was very handy for me when I was in an office and had a fifteen minute break in which to read.

In the Age of COVID and work from home, I've been reading on my Nook (ePub) during the day and my Clara (kepub) at night. The Glowlight Plus has superior layout, the Clara has the orange light (the Glowlight 3 has already been claimed).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For me, I like the one screen = one 'page' (and no, I don't want to argue about it). It was very handy for me when I was in an office and had a fifteen minute break in which to read.

In the Age of COVID and work from home, I've been reading on my Nook (ePub) during the day and my Clara (kepub) at night. The Glowlight Plus has superior layout, the Clara has the orange light (the Glowlight 3 has already been claimed).
Please try the ePub on your Clara HD. I'd like to know how the layout is compared to your nook and to the KePub. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just remembered to mention that the font handling with ePub is better on the Kobo then on Kindle and image dithering is also better on Kobo then Kindle.
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #51
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 7
I don't think anybody has mentioned translation either. Reading foreign language books is easier on the Kindle. Even with the translating dictionaries, I find the ability to translate a phrase to be useful when I just can't quite put it together from the individual words.

Also, periodicals and magazines. While I don't currently subscribe to any, Kindle has support for those if that's your thing. There's one that I was considering, but probably won't subscribe to now because of the lack of Kobo support.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #52
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
How is reading PDF on a Kindle better then KOReader
I did not say that it was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
While the superior native pdf support is the main reason my Kindle is my main reader....
Try to read my posts properly!

Quote:
I've see PDF with KOReader in a video. So I was able to see how it works. Is that not good enough?
'I've never read a book using an e-reader, but I've seen how they work. I know the experience of reading paper books is much better'.

Quote:
As for searching the library, I've never had a need to search in eBooks other then the one I have open.
I use the search function to search for books. I could explain why this is valuable, but that would be a silly way to spend my time. The fact is, I find the search function valuable, and there is a device which both offers adequate pdf support and also offers a search, so there is no need for me to bother installing third party software and give up the search function when on Kindle I can happily read pdf without giving up the search function. Seems silly to use a Kobo that doesn't do what I want when I can use a Kindle that does do what I want.

Quote:
If I had a need to read PDF on my H2O, I would install KOReader and use it only for PDF. I have no need to switch to KOReader full time as I'm good with the ePub reading experience.
Exactly. So you would have to reboot every time you wanted to switch from reading epub to pdf or vice versa. This is an inconvenience I would rather avoid, so, I use Kindle as my main reader. Seems silly to use a Kobo that doesn't do what I want when I can use a Kindle that does do what I want.

Last edited by Braid; 05-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #53
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I had a Kindle before, but I prefer the Kobo, for all the reasons Kobo owners know of.

Still, Kindle has some features that I’d love to see on Kobo. Being able to pursue my reading of a side loaded book on my cell phone. Auto refresh of a page when opening my device. Better dictionary. Way better.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #54
Uncle Robin
Evangelist
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I had a Kindle before, but I prefer the Kobo...

Still, Kindle has some features that I’d love to see on Kobo. ... Better dictionary. Way better.
Like you, I prefer my Kobo, but I am genuinely perplexed by Kobo's stubborn insistence on offering only a vestigial wordlist and calling it a "dictionary". I think there are a lot of Kobo owners who would be quite prepared to BUY a better dictionary (or dictionaries)if Kobo chose to make them available.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:36 AM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please try the ePub on your Clara HD. I'd like to know how the layout is compared to your nook and to the KePub. Thanks.
I can give it a go, though the book I'm reading now is pretty basic in its formatting. the most obvious place I notice the formatting difference is at the beginning of a chapter. Especially if there's some decoration and my current book has none.

Otherwise, I notice it with word gaps in some sentences and weird word hyphen breaks. Also, using the same font on both does show that Georgia, for example, looks better on ePub.

And I've enabled ligatures (which is one of the things Kobo really should fix in my imaginary overhaul of kepub layout).
Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can give it a go, though the book I'm reading now is pretty basic in its formatting. the most obvious place I notice the formatting difference is at the beginning of a chapter. Especially if there's some decoration and my current book has none.

Otherwise, I notice it with word gaps in some sentences and weird word hyphen breaks. Also, using the same font on both does show that Georgia, for example, looks better on ePub.

And I've enabled ligatures (which is one of the things Kobo really should fix in my imaginary overhaul of kepub layout).
IMHO, KePub should not exist. There's no reason for it. The software used for Pub 3 should just work without any special formatting. I would like to try the current RMSDK and see how it gets on with ePub 3 and if it works well, then remove Access. That would solve the problems we are having with Access and would remove the need to convert to KePub.

I did notice sometime back that a KePub formatting is not the same as the source ePub using ADE 2.0.1.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-23-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #57
RainKap
RainKap began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have both Kindle (elderly version 4, with the page turn and other keys), and Kobo (even more elderly Touch (N905). For a long time, the thing which has biased me towards the Kindle is that when I switch it on, it returns to the page where I switched it off in a second (I timed it!), whereas the Kobo takes more like 30 seconds to open the home screen after I switch it on, and then a while longer to open the book which I select from the home screen.

After the Kobo took it into its head to do a factory reset yesterday afternoon, and now the WiFi handling has disappeared, I think it will be a write-off; at least I can continue to use the books in my Kobo library on my (Android) phone and tablet...
RainKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainKap View Post
I have both Kindle (elderly version 4, with the page turn and other keys), and Kobo (even more elderly Touch (N905). For a long time, the thing which has biased me towards the Kindle is that when I switch it on, it returns to the page where I switched it off in a second (I timed it!), whereas the Kobo takes more like 30 seconds to open the home screen after I switch it on, and then a while longer to open the book which I select from the home screen.

After the Kobo took it into its head to do a factory reset yesterday afternoon, and now the WiFi handling has disappeared, I think it will be a write-off; at least I can continue to use the books in my Kobo library on my (Android) phone and tablet...
You don't need to turn off the Kobo. You just put it to sleep. When it wakes from sleep, it's right there on the page you left off. Try installing the latest firmware and see if that fixes your problems. WiFi was one thing fixed since your factory firmware. You've nothing to lose by installing the new 4.21.x firmware.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #59
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Like you, I prefer my Kobo, but I am genuinely perplexed by Kobo's stubborn insistence on offering only a vestigial wordlist and calling it a "dictionary". I think there are a lot of Kobo owners who would be quite prepared to BUY a better dictionary (or dictionaries)if Kobo chose to make them available.

Yes, as ridicule as it may sound, up to his point, I would gladly pay something like 20$ for a great French and English dictionary.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
IMHO, KePub should not exist. There's no reason for it. The software used for Pub 3 should just work without any special formatting.
If it would give the features kepub does (particularly one screen = one page in page count) that would be fine with me. Other kepub features are nice too, but that's the one I appreciate the most.