Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Zealot
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Voyage, Paperwhite(2018), iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini,Phone Xs Max
Buying books from other country

With Amazon, living in USA there are several hoops that have to be jumped through in order to buy something not available in the USA but is available in other country store. Just switching country is not enough.

Is it the same deal with the Kobo stores?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
With Amazon, living in USA there are several hoops that have to be jumped through in order to buy something not available in the USA but is available in other country store. Just switching country is not enough.

Is it the same deal with the Kobo stores?
No. It's enough to change your country. My Kobo account is in Germany, because for some bizarre reason Kobo doesn't allow me to use PayPal in my own country (prices are more or less the same in both countries).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No. It's enough to change your country. My Kobo account is in Germany, because for some bizarre reason Kobo doesn't allow me to use PayPal in my own country (prices are more or less the same in both countries).
How do you change your country? Looking at my account on Kobo.com, the only place where country is indicated is in the payment section.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How do you change your country? Looking at my account on Kobo.com, the only place where country is indicated is in the payment section.
On the upper section of the homepage (not the account page) there's a flag displaying your current country. Click on it.

After that (or possibly before) you have to change your country in the payment section too. I don't know what happens if you have a valid credit card issued in another country on your account. I have none (I pay with PayPal).
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the upper section of the homepage (not the account page) there's a flag displaying your current country. Click on it.

After that (or possibly before) you have to change your country in the payment section too. I don't know what happens if you have a valid credit card issued in another country on your account. I have none (I pay with PayPal).
Huh, for some reason PayPal isn't an option for me. When I go to payment options, I only have the choice for credit/debit card. I guess I'll try putting in my credit card and change my billing address to somewhere in the UK (I think I'll use the address for Factory Records) and see what happens.
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
TheSmitty
Zealot
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Huh, for some reason PayPal isn't an option for me. When I go to payment options, I only have the choice for credit/debit card. I guess I'll try putting in my credit card and change my billing address to somewhere in the UK (I think I'll use the address for Factory Records) and see what happens.
How did that work out for you? Seems that in the end it is almost as cumbersome as trying to do the same thing with Amazon?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
How did that work out for you? Seems that in the end it is almost as cumbersome as trying to do the same thing with Amazon?
Amazon will start to whine at some point that your IP-address is not the same as the country on your account. Kobo never will. So that counts as fewer hoops in my book.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I haven't tried yet. I deleted my old credit card info and thought I could just link to PayPal, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the US.

Really, there's only one book, maybe two that I'm interested in buying and are only available in the UK. So it's not top of the list.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #9
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't tried yet. I deleted my old credit card info and thought I could just link to PayPal, but that doesn't seem to be an option in the US.

Really, there's only one book, maybe two that I'm interested in buying and are only available in the UK. So it's not top of the list.
Yeah, for some strange reason PayPal is only available in a few countries. It's available in Germany and the UK, for example.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #10
TheSmitty
Zealot

Got my Kobo, so far so good. Setup PayPal (i am in US) and registered (On Kobo site). I did try changing my country then buy a book I want but it tells me not available in US. Then tried changing my address but it won’t change and reverts back to original address. Bought kobo via Walmart but I don’t suspect that is an issue. So far this is only thing I had hoped the kobo would more easily allow me to do over Amazon. But it was only a hope. There are a few books on my list I want but not available in US which is stupid. I really want to pay for things but publishers seem to not care if they push those who know how to obtain elsewhere and they get nothing.

Otherwise, the Libre I got is lighter than my oasis 3. Still figuring out the software but noticed and love the off screen showing my current book.

Last edited by TheSmitty; 05-18-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Got my Kobo, so far so good. Setup PayPal (i am in US) and registered (On Kobo site).
Just to be clear, when you say you setup PayPal and registered on Kobo, do you mean you linked PayPal to Kobo? Or you registered a PayPal account and registered with Kobo?

I'm in the US and couldn't find a way on Kobo's site to link my existing PayPal to Kobo. It onlygives the option for credit/debit card.

Quote:
I did try changing my country then buy a book I want but it tells me not available in US. Then tried changing my address but it won’t change and reverts back to original address. Bought kobo via Walmart but I don’t suspect that is an issue. So far this is only thing I had hoped the kobo would more easily allow me to do over Amazon. But it was only a hope. There are a few books on my list I want but not available in US which is stupid. I really want to pay for things but publishers seem to not care if they push those who know how to obtain elsewhere and they get nothing.
To change your country (once you are signed in) you have to go to My Account/Account Settings/Payment Information and change your physical address there.

My problem is: since I have to use a credit or debit card instead of PayPal, if I enter a British billing address with an American credit card, I think my bank will reject it.

I'll try it tonight after work if I can remember.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Just to be clear, when you say you setup PayPal and registered on Kobo, do you mean you linked PayPal to Kobo? Or you registered a PayPal account and registered with Kobo?

I'm in the US and couldn't find a way on Kobo's site to link my existing PayPal to Kobo. It onlygives the option for credit/debit card.

To change your country (once you are signed in) you have to go to My Account/Account Settings/Payment Information and change your physical address there.

My problem is: since I have to use a credit or debit card instead of PayPal, if I enter a British billing address with an American credit card, I think my bank will reject it.

I'll try it tonight after work if I can remember.
The way I did it was to remove the credit card and then change the country. After changing the country to UK, the PayPal option should appear.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:

Your PayPal is also associated with a country. Not sure exactly how but I do know that Hulu refused my UK PayPal, insisting on a usa one
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Your PayPal is also associated with a country. Not sure exactly how but I do know that Hulu refused my UK PayPal, insisting on a usa one
I know, but Kobo has not refused my PayPal.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I know, but Kobo has not refused my PayPal.
And hbo go accepted my UK PayPal, for their usa only service trial. A Sundance trial via VPN worked also. Some vendors are fussier than others.

( I am done with hbo, Hulu etc though . after completing a catch up hbo binge I can get enough from sky TV etc to not need to geo cheat. )

And I have not yet hit the "book I want is not available in my region " barrier
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote