Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
more likely the " original content" was a big mess
and probably not a retail version
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
its originally format was azw3, i simply converted it into kepub and send to kobo via calibre
Which is what is intended to happen. Or you can convert to epub and use the KoboTouchExtended driver. The effect should be the same
Quote:
thank you for suggestion, i didn't know about that plugin before. i thought a simple azw3 to kepub conversion is just enough 😖
in short, the conversion somehow tampered with the original content and cause the highlight problem, am i correct?
I doubt it. It opens fine on the Kobo ereader I tried it on. There are no obvious defects according to the error checker in the calibre editor. Using epubcheck is overkill unless you are uploading to a store that requires the book pass epubcheck with no errors. And you are not doing that. I don't see any errors in the header, so don't know what @JSWolf is referring to.

The code isn't tidy, but, a conversion from AZW3 to kepub is actually a conversion to epub2 and then the Kobo spans and divs added. It doesn't end up looking pretty, but, I've seen worse looking code that worked with no issues.

I've had the book on my Aura ONE all day and have just been adding highlights and some annotations to it periodically. I'm at 152 annotations and highlights in the book, and about 870 across all the books.

I had to check back to the earlier posts to check what the problem was: At some point, when you create an annotation on a page, one appears on a later page. Is that correct? Is it the next page? Or the next chapter? And where on the page? Same location relative to the top of the page or chapter? If it worked out to be the same paragraph number in the next chapter, there would be some logic in that.

Does it happen if you take a break after making the annotation? By that I mean, if you make an annotation and close the book, will the extra annotation appear? And is it one or multiple?

Could I see the database from the device? I can look in that for any clues. And, I might export the annotations and import them to my own device and see what happens. Plus, if you can tell me of an annotation that was not created by you. For the database, the best thing is to upload it somewhere and send me a PM with a link to it.

I'd also like to see screenshots showing some of the good and bad annotations plus the annotations list. Seeing them might trigger something.

And I just noticed you haven't mentioned the firmware version you are using. It is a Libra H2O, so the firmware has to at most a year old. But, if you are still running the factory firmware update NOW. That wasn't a good version, though, I wouldn't have blamed it for this.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
babygau
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had to check back to the earlier posts to check what the problem was: At some point, when you create an annotation on a page, one appears on a later page. Is that correct? Is it the next page? Or the next chapter? And where on the page? Same location relative to the top of the page or chapter? If it worked out to be the same paragraph number in the next chapter, there would be some logic in that.

Does it happen if you take a break after making the annotation? By that I mean, if you make an annotation and close the book, will the extra annotation appear? And is it one or multiple?

Could I see the database from the device? I can look in that for any clues. And, I might export the annotations and import them to my own device and see what happens. Plus, if you can tell me of an annotation that was not created by you. For the database, the best thing is to upload it somewhere and send me a PM with a link to it.

I'd also like to see screenshots showing some of the good and bad annotations plus the annotations list. Seeing them might trigger something.

And I just noticed you haven't mentioned the firmware version you are using. It is a Libra H2O, so the firmware has to at most a year old. But, if you are still running the factory firmware update NOW. That wasn't a good version, though, I wouldn't have blamed it for this.
hi,
as you said, the highlights were randomly shown at not only next page, but also the following pages. i uploaded a video of this annoying issues. i also tested with my old kobo aura h20 as well and it also happened. both devices are running latest firmware.

regarding to the database, where is its location? i will pm you the file asap.

here is the video link: https://youtu.be/XoIN7Mpv-Wo
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Those page turns are very slow. Are you sure you sent the book to the kobo as a Kepub, (ie, if sending from from Calibre, the Kobo Touch extended driver must be installed and enabled. If unsure, you can take the file you posted here and copy it directly onto the Kobo by file manager.)

This is not to explain your problem, but make sure everyone is testing the same thing.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #20
babygau

yes, i'm sure it is kepub format.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
hi,
as you said, the highlights were randomly shown at not only next page, but also the following pages. i uploaded a video of this annoying issues. i also tested with my old kobo aura h20 as well and it also happened. both devices are running latest firmware.

regarding to the database, where is its location? i will pm you the file asap.

here is the video link: https://youtu.be/XoIN7Mpv-Wo
Sorry, the video doesn't help much. You start from the annotations list which is showing two long highlights. You select one of those to go to the page with that highlight. Then you start paging through the book and after a few more pages, another very long highlight is shown.

What I really wanted to see was the creation of the highlight and then the extra one turning up when you turned the page. But, does this only happen when you create long highlights? Or are the long highlights the one that are being generated later.

The database is in the directory ".kobo". The file is "KoboReader.sqlite".
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #22
babygau

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, the video doesn't help much. You start from the annotations list which is showing two long highlights. You select one of those to go to the page with that highlight. Then you start paging through the book and after a few more pages, another very long highlight is shown.

What I really wanted to see was the creation of the highlight and then the extra one turning up when you turned the page. But, does this only happen when you create long highlights? Or are the long highlights the one that are being generated later.

The database is in the directory ".kobo". The file is "KoboReader.sqlite".
in the video, the annotation list showed the latest highlight which i created, the following highlights are randomly shown up as you can see and they are indeed not in the annotation list. it doesn't matter if the highlights are long or short. i couldn't say exactly how many highlights it would take to create this weird issuse. those long highlights you see is my intention to quickly reproduce the issue

i also found out later that once the issue happened, the random highlights would not only showed at current book but affect the whole library on kobo. other ebook now started showing the unexpected highlights at random pages in random length.

i will send you all files needed as soon as i have the computer today.

thank you so much.

updated: pls check your inbox.

Last edited by babygau; 05-23-2020 at 05:16 AM.