Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
bamboozled
bamboozled began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Compaq PPC
Question Ebook viewer = actual representation on reader?

Hello fellow readers,

I have a couple of questions about Calibra's ebook reader that is distributed with the install.

First ... I plan on getting a Sony PRS-505 in the somewhat near future (having to save for it - got to play with a display unit at Target the other day. Bad case of techno-lust now). I plan on using the epub format for my ebooks so that in the future so if I change readers I'll be able to carry them over.

I have been playing around with converting files over to the epub format (Calibra itself and Atlantis wp - haven't tried OOo with epub plugin, yet).

I then view it with the ebook reader that comes with Calibra. Is what I am viewing comparable to what I will see on the 505?

Some fonts look great while others not so good - Does there seem to be a concensus on serif vs sans-sarif fonts - (the Calibra font looks great, btw)? How do I find out if a font is okay to use (even if I have no plans of redistributing the anything I create)? Epub does imbed the font that is used in the doc or rtf, correct?

I noticed that the ereader will keep the full justification and paragraph indentations - will these formatting features be viewable on the 505 as well using the epub format?

Just excited about reading again (especially the geek in me that loves gadgets). I guess I this could have been posted in the 505 or epub group as well.

If it is comparable, then I will begin the process of converting. If not, I don't want to put in a lot of wasted time on converting my stuff.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

David
bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It won't look exactly the same between calibre and a Sony Reader, but it will look similar. If you want to know what an Eoub will look like on the 505, then you should download Sony's Library software.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibra, epub, fonts, formatting, prs-505