Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 04:45 AM   #1
syrianrue
syrianrue began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Kindle Paperwhite owner, what are some essential utilities i should get?

Paperwhite 3 (7th generation)

Aside from mobi, I also read a lot of stuff in epub and pdf format, what would be the best way to read them all on kindle paperwhite? koreader? (if so, does anyone know of a good link to learn how to get koreader set up?)

In terms of ebook management, transferring, is Calibre still "THE" software in this department? or has Kindle For PC replaced it as the premier software? (I've heard something about calibre having difficulties with certain formats due to recent changes).

I haven't used a ebook reader in a long time so I'm not really up to date on all the useful applications. If anyone have any tips or recommendations I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by syrianrue; 07-06-2018 at 05:22 AM.
syrianrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:50 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Use calibre to manage your library and convert ePub to azw3 for Kindle use, and for transferring things to your Kindle.

For PDF you'll have to wait for someone else. I don't know what's best for PDF on Kindle these days.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
Aside from mobi, I also read a lot of stuff in epub and pdf format, what would be the best way to read them all on kindle paperwhite? koreader? (if so, does anyone know of a good link to learn how to get koreader set up?)
If you want to read using the built-in reader app then there are three kindle formats to which you can convert your books with varying functionality and quirks: MOBI, KF8 (aka AZW3), and KFX. Using calibre is the easiest way to perform these conversions.

Koreader requires that your kindle be jailbroken. The Kindle Developer's Corner has threads on jail breaking and installing applications.

Quote:
or has Kindle For PC replaced it as the premier software?
Kindle for PC is software from Amazon that lets you read Amazon purchased books on a PC. It does not do e-book management.

Kindle for PC can also be used as a way to obtain the content of Amazon purchased books so that you can import them into calibre for backup or format conversion. See Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for more information on what is needed to do this.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Manrico
Manrico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle 5
I think that most of the people here will recommend Calibre to manage your library and convert and send the books to your Kindle. IMHO, you get the best effort/quality ratio with converting to AZW3 - almost effortless and good quality - but you still have to transfer the books via cable. Converting to MOBI lets you use the "send by mail" Amazon functionality without the need to use a cable, but you lose some quality. The best quality, including Enhanced typesetting you get with KFX format, but it needs more effort - to install Kindle previewer and KFX plugin (kudos to jhowell!) - and then not every book will convert successfully and you have to fall back to AZW3. For me, it is worth the effort.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Get Calibre & the de-drm stuff installed...

then convert to azw3 with Charis SIL font

thread for JSWofl's fab font here:-
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=chareink

It's embarrassing how poor the built in fonts are in Kindles compared to Charis SIL.
Embed that Chareink font, and once on your Kindle you can choose the 'Publisher Font' which will be ChareInk.

Also install the Hyphenate This! plug-in so you can have proper hyphenation in the azw3 book.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manrico View Post
I think that most of the people here will recommend Calibre to manage your library and convert and send the books to your Kindle. IMHO, you get the best effort/quality ratio with converting to AZW3 - almost effortless and good quality - but you still have to transfer the books via cable. Converting to MOBI lets you use the "send by mail" Amazon functionality without the need to use a cable, but you lose some quality. The best quality, including Enhanced typesetting you get with KFX format, but it needs more effort - to install Kindle previewer and KFX plugin (kudos to jhowell!) - and then not every book will convert successfully and you have to fall back to AZW3. For me, it is worth the effort.
Note, you can convert to dual format MOBI to get both KF8/AZW3 quality and send by mail functionality.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, Oasis1/2, Aura HD/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Get Calibre & the de-drm stuff installed...

then convert to azw3 with Charis SIL font

thread for JSWofl's fab font here:-
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=chareink

It's embarrassing how poor the built in fonts are in Kindles compared to Charis SIL.
Embed that Chareink font, and once on your Kindle you can choose the 'Publisher Font' which will be ChareInk.

Also install the Hyphenate This! plug-in so you can have proper hyphenation in the azw3 book.
With the latest firmware you don't have to embed fonts any more, you can simply add them in the folder fonts in your Kindle and chose them from font display. More in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=298832
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
As you already know to manage your books Calibre is the best. I have to say you should convert your epub books to the azw3 format instead of mobi. Since you will be able to modify the boldness of the text in your kindle besides the font size.

The other tool i usually use to manage my notes/highlights and the words i looked up in the dictionary is Kindle MateKindle Mate/
You will be able to export your notes to your computer using that software , it is quite useful to me since i can track my notes any time i'd like on my laptop even if my kindle isn't plugged in.

One of the other utulities are Kindle Comic Converter KCC

And k2pdfopt to let your pdf files easier to read on kindle.

Last edited by cmoim; 07-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:36 AM   #9
syrianrue
syrianrue began at the beginning.

Device: none
is k2pdfopt the best converter for pdf? better than calibre's ? or are there any other options as well?

also, does anyone have trouble installing calibre 64bit? my windows defender keeps preventing the installation.
syrianrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
is k2pdfopt the best converter for pdf? better than calibre's ? or are there any other options as well?
k2pdfopt doesn't convert pdfs to another format. it trims margins and (I think) can cut up into columns, making pdfs that aren't too big to read on a 6" screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
also, does anyone have trouble installing calibre 64bit? my windows defender keeps preventing the installation.
Yes, it is a false positive. Disable your anti-virus for the time of installation.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes, it is a false positive. Disable your anti-virus for the time of installation.
For the issue I've seen with installing a program from the Internet with Windows Defender installed, it is not a false positive since Windows Defender is not detecting it as a virus. What it is seeing is an installation that SmartScreen lacks the information to say if it should be permitted. You can click on the "more information" (*) link and allow the installation -- unless you've followed our corporate lead and set the option to block and blocked users from changing it.

* Not absolutely certain it says "more information" since I haven't seen it in a while since turning SmartScreen off but there is a link that will let you allow the install.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-08-2018 at 02:13 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the issue I've seen with installing a program from the Internet with Windows Defender installed, it is not a false positive since Windows Defender is not detecting it as a virus. What it is seeing is an installation that SmartScreen lacks the information to say if it should be permitted. You can click on the "more information" (*) link and allow the installation -- unless you've followed our corporate lead and set the option to block and blocked users from changing it.

* Not absolutely certain it says "more information" since I haven't seen it in a while since turning SmartScreen off but there is a link that will let you allow the install.
Kovid Goyal has a section in the FAQ about it. It is not limited to Windows Defender (which also does detect viruses and malware advising against installation).

From: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...a-virus-trojan
Quote:
My antivirus program claims calibre is a virus/trojan?

The first thing to check is that you are downloading calibre from the official website: https://calibre-ebook.com/download. Make sure you are clicking the download links on the left, not the advertisements on the right. calibre is a very popular program and unscrupulous people try to setup websites offering it for download to fool the unwary.

If you have the official download and your antivirus program is still claiming calibre is a virus, then, your antivirus program is wrong. Antivirus programs use heuristics, patterns of code that “look suspicious” to detect viruses. It’s rather like racial profiling. calibre is a completely open source product. You can actually browse the source code yourself (or hire someone to do it for you) to verify that it is not a virus. Please report the false identification to whatever company you buy your antivirus software from. If the antivirus program is preventing you from downloading/installing calibre, disable it temporarily, install calibre and then re-enable it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Kovid Goyal has a section in the FAQ about it. It is not limited to Windows Defender (which also does detect viruses and malware advising against installation).
You are correct in that false positives are not limited to Windows Defender. However the complaints I've seen about calibre 3.27.x and Windows 10 have all involved Windows Defender/SmartScreen blocking the install. Perhaps a bit pedantic to say this is not detecting a virus however I feel it is a legitimate distinction.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Fair enough. When I answered the first time, I believed it to be enough (simply mentioning a false positive) as it covers every case including SmartScreen. I was prepared to dig out the FAQ in case there was a follow up question. Because, seriously, who should believe me advising to disable anti malware / anti virus protection without further research.