Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, no covers for sideloaded AZW3 either unless one uses Calibre to send to device (which puts the requisite thumbnail jpg in the correct folder). This is the same situation for KFX, I believe.
Ah, I stand corrected. I've used only Calibre for sideloading several years now and my memory has grown rather dim as to other methods of getting books to a Kindle.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, no covers for sideloaded AZW3 either unless one uses Calibre to send to device (which puts the requisite thumbnail jpg in the correct folder). This is the same situation for KFX, I believe.
That is true. Also, for calibre produced cover thumbnails to work the book must be marked as an ebook, not a personal document, on newer Kindle devices.

So if personal documents from the cloud are to be used (the subject of this thread) only MOBI files without KF8 will produce cover thumbnails on Kindle devices.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 AM   #18
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Only if you send it directly to a 3G enabled Kindle. If you have a doc that is stored in the cloud, there is no charge to download it to a 3G enabled Kindle.

Shari
Really?
That’s a surprisingly good thing in favor of the cellular models
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Really?
That’s a surprisingly good thing in favor of the cellular models
There's no charge to download a personal document over WiFi. There is a charge to download it over 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Okay, it was too good to be true. Thanks for the clarification.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #21
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no charge to download a personal document over WiFi. There is a charge to download it over 3G.
Ah, that's why I'm not getting charged then when syncing over regular wifi to my android devices.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #22
maximus83
Nameless Being

As for the multiple Azon proprietary formats, that sounds like a flipping mess, this is a perfect example of what's bad about a company using proprietary data formats. This used to plague Microsoft for years as well, until they opened up their data formats more recently, at least making it possible from all their major apps to easily export to open formats. For myself, I like to keep things simple, so if I'm going to upload books purchased elsewhere to the Azon cloud (for storage/syncing purposes), I'm going to stick with simple .MOBI. It sounds like converting to any other format nets you a lot of headaches with this or that feature not working.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
As for the multiple Azon proprietary formats, that sounds like a flipping mess, this is a perfect example of what's bad about a company using proprietary data formats. This used to plague Microsoft for years as well, until they opened up their data formats more recently, at least making it possible from all their major apps to easily export to open formats. For myself, I like to keep things simple, so if I'm going to upload books purchased elsewhere to the Azon cloud (for storage/syncing purposes), I'm going to stick with simple .MOBI. It sounds like converting to any other format nets you a lot of headaches with this or that feature not working.
Caveat with MOBI, no custom fonts, font weight or enhanced typsetting. Which is fine if the available defaults are acceptable to you. Others prefer greater customization.

It really is just weighing which features are important to you. I use plain MOBI myself. I value covers and syncing more than custom fonts or enhanced typesetting.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As for the multiple Azon proprietary formats, that sounds like a flipping mess, this is a perfect example of what's bad about a company using proprietary data formats.
Not at all. It's something that "normal" people who buy books from Amazon and read them on their Amazon device or app are completely unaware of. Are you suggesting that it's somehow wrong of Amazon to introduce more capable file formats as time goes on?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Not at all. It's something that "normal" people who buy books from Amazon and read them on their Amazon device or app are completely unaware of. Are you suggesting that it's somehow wrong of Amazon to introduce more capable file formats as time goes on?
Yes I am. Exactly. Improving functionality of course is great. But proprietary data formats are almost always a bad thing, especially when the artifacts in question (ebooks) are designed to be a way to share knowledge with others. To quote somebody who thought about this a lot: "Information wants to be free." That doesn't mean that companies like Azon cannot develop their own features, DRM their books, and make a profit from all the value-add things they do. Open source software developers do variations of this all the time. But it means they should stay aligned with the world community and use open file formats, enabling interoperability and driving greater innovation. I am 100% against what they do with their proprietary data formats, even though I love the functionality of their ereaders, and their vast library of ebooks.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I am. Exactly. Improving functionality of course is great. But proprietary data formats are almost always a bad thing, especially when the artifacts in question (ebooks) are designed to be a way to share knowledge with others.
Amazon devices and apps are sold primarily as content-consumption platforms for content which Amazon sell. Compatibility with other producers' content is very, very low on their list of priorities, I suspect.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Compatibility with other producers' content is very, very low on their list of priorities, I suspect.
Completely agree. And that is a big problem, IMHO.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Completely agree. And that is a big problem, IMHO.
We must agree to differ. It's not something which concerns me in the slightest.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
For myself, I like to keep things simple, so if I'm going to upload books purchased elsewhere to the Azon cloud (for storage/syncing purposes), I'm going to stick with simple .MOBI. It sounds like converting to any other format nets you a lot of headaches with this or that feature not working.
I would stick with .MOBI only if covers are really important for you and font customization isn't. Most people here use MOBI/both for syncing purposes.

Syncing is not important for me personally, so I use AZW3.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Syncing is not important for me personally, so I use AZW3.
Likewise. I sideload all my content from Calibre and use AZW3.