Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
I got in touch, and they're saying the phone is coming "soon". Hopefully that means weeks, not months.
That means it will be coming out just about the same time that they offer that long promised system update to bring all their Android 6 devices up to Android 9...

Actually, I'm quite happy with my Android 6 devices and by the fact that they are continuing to offer firmware updates for them. Wish they would do the same for their Android 4 devices.

However, I do hope that they come out with an eink phone soon. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the various Hisense eink models. It would be nice to see some competition in the eink phone market.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Lolz. I was hoping they were late wanting to give us a color display, surpassing that of Hisense. But alas, it's prolly the Android 9 that's holding them back. To my needs Android 6 is the most suitable, so ...

But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #19
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you
Without Google Play Services. Was able to find the apps that I use on F-Droid and the Aurora store and easily sideloaded them onto the A5. It works brilliantly for my needs. I can even make phone calls or send texts on it which I seldom do.

Got it at the CECT Shop. Fantastic, professional service.

Avoid purchasing from Aliexpress as there is a disreputable seller there who pretends to ship the devices, but doesn't. One then has to go through the lengthy dispute process to get one's money back from Aliexpress.

It will be interesting to see if Onyx can make an eink phone to rival Hisense's devices. They've got their work cut out. Hope they can do it as it would be nice to see more innovation.
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #21
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
On my request for more information about the progress in the release of the new EINK smartphone, today I got the following answer from ONYX:

"I think more exact information will be available next week."
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #22
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Next week? Oh yes! I have waited a long time, and my phone died just last Friday. So hopefully it'll be possible to postpone buying a new until the Onyx is out.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #23
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
On my request for more information about the progress in the release of the new EINK smartphone, today I got the following answer from ONYX:

"I think more exact information will be available next week."
A week has come and past, but no updates. If you wouldn't mind, it 'd be cool if you pinged them again. I've written to them soo many times already.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #24
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Well, since my last post I pinged them several times. But unfortunately without any reply.

Since ONYX can presently make much more money in the booming sector of colour readers, in my opinion the ONYX Boox e ink smartphone has been postponed - perhaps even cancelled. But ONYX is not willing to communicate anything specific - perhaps the ONYX guys themselves are not sure how to proceed with this product line at the moment.

I'd love to buy a b&w e ink smartphone - but only if Google services are provided by the manufacturer himself (and not by any obscure third party which results in non-updateability of the device).

Last edited by Philju; 08-22-2020 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #25
norweger
Addict

Appreciated, Philju.

I think you're right. Post-poned or cancelled. I wish they'd come out with info, as if they've cancelled I might just cave and get a Hisense A5 third party GA, for audiobooks and ebooks.

Last edited by norweger; 08-18-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #26
Philju
Enthusiast

News from ONYX

Today I received the following information:

"The release of the smartphone was postponed because the ONYX BOOX development department decided to upgrade the existing sample trying to make it more fast and powerful. I think more exact information about the release will be available in September."

So the ONYX guys still seem working on it.

Last edited by Philju; 08-22-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #27
norweger
Addict

That's great news! Thanks for checking it out, philju.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #28
norweger
Addict

I'm about to give up on the upcoming Onyx phone and just get a Hisense A5 Google Play. I see they wrote about five devices recently, none of which are phone:

https://fccid.io/XR3
Old 09-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #29
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I'm about to give up on the upcoming Onyx phone and just get a Hisense A5 Google Play. I see they wrote about five devices recently, none of which are phone:

https://fccid.io/XR3
I think you won't be disappointed in the Hisense A5 although I don't know much about the Google Play version. Apparently, there are a few functions which don't work the same way on the Google Play version as on the regular A5 version. And apparently there is information available on how to root the A5. You might want to check out the thread on the A5 before deciding which version to purchase:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322957

And, once again, I think that Onyx would have to work very hard to beat the A5, especially that Hisense now also offers a colour version.

If you don't absolutely need Google Play, you might even consider the A5 Pro.

I have both the A5 and the A5 Pro Colour. Both are excellent devices.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #30
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I think you won't be disappointed in the Hisense A5 although I don't know much about the Google Play version. Apparently, there are a few functions which don't work the same way on the Google Play version as on the regular A5 version. And apparently there is information available on how to root the A5. You might want to check out the thread on the A5 before deciding which version to purchase:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322957

And, once again, I think that Onyx would have to work very hard to beat the A5, especially that Hisense now also offers a colour version.

If you don't absolutely need Google Play, you might even consider the A5 Pro.

I have both the A5 and the A5 Pro Colour. Both are excellent devices.
Thanks. I had all but forgot about them, since they didn't have Google. The A5 CC Pro looks remarkable. It could very well be it would be the trick. I see there are threads floating around on getting Google Apps on it, and rooting. Do you have any belief in that? I guess CECT shop would sell a rooted version in case it was possible.

Thanks for the heads up on some app not working properly on rooted A5 as well. I think I might just have to take a chance on this phone.