Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
30% off subs to Analog, Asimov's

In fictionwise's latest Science Fiction sale, there's 30% off one and two year subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's magazines. Just over 40% if you're a club member.

Analog One Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1108.htm
Analog Two Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1393.htm
Asimov's One Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1109.htm
Asimov's Two Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1394.htm

For club members, that works out to just $1.79 per issue for the two year subs. Amazing value.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Also on sale...

Interzone One Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook53685.htm

I picked up Analog & Asimov's last go around. Thinking I might as well add Interzone too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
If you had to pick one, Analog or Asimov? Right now I'm thinking Analog, for no apparent reason other than I liked their wikipedia entry better (ha!).
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is a GREAT value. In fact, I'm trying to remember if Fictionwise, in the almost 2 years I've been a member, has ever done that.

Like I say, a great value.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is a GREAT value. In fact, I'm trying to remember if Fictionwise, in the almost 2 years I've been a member, has ever done that.

Like I say, a great value.

Don
I got the discount on Analog during the last SF sale and F&SF on the Fantasy one.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryTB View Post
If you had to pick one, Analog or Asimov? Right now I'm thinking Analog, for no apparent reason other than I liked their wikipedia entry better (ha!).
It depends on what you like. Analog is more 'hard sci-fi' while Asimov's is more of speculative fiction. Both are worth reading.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Needing a conversion...

Decided to give a try to Azimov's, Analog and FSF, before any subscription...
I read Mobipocket files, and find Multiformat Prc and Mobi poor formats...So I'm using epub or Lit, with Calibre conversion.
Do you know of another way that could do the trick (other format maybe) ?

Last edited by Idoine; 05-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In fictionwise's latest Science Fiction sale, there's 30% off one and two year subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's magazines..
Thanks for the tip. I've purchased both for 1 year. I'm going to buy Interzone before the night is through, too.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
So instead of a subscription, I ended up getting the earliest back issues of 4 months of Analog and 4 months of Asimov. Figured I'd read them both, see which one I like best and just wait for the next subscription sale.

As a bonus, if I do end up subscribing, I've got backissues available that won't be available for sale in the future.

As an aside, anybody know why old backissues aren't available? They're ebook form, you'd think they'd have all of them for sale.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
As an aside, anybody know why old backissues aren't available? They're ebook form, you'd think they'd have all of them for sale.
I think the publisher only has the rights to the stories for a certain amount of time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a rights issue. The magazine buys the right to publish the stories in a magazine, which is available for a limited period, rather than for a book.

The good thing about buying your subscription at fictionwise is that the issues you get in your subscription stay on your bookshelf, even though they're not available to buy any more.

Quote:
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
BloodyBandage
BloodyBandage began at the beginning.

Device: blackberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In fictionwise's latest Science Fiction sale, there's 30% off one and two year subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's magazines. Just over 40% if you're a club member.

Analog One Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1108.htm
Analog Two Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1393.htm
Asimov's One Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1109.htm
Asimov's Two Year: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook1394.htm

For club members, that works out to just $1.79 per issue for the two year subs. Amazing value.
thanks for the heads up
BloodyBandage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm resurrecting this thread to give more details about my subscriptions from fictionwise. I have purchased several from them now, and I like the issues, of course. There are problems, however.

Asimov's: August is listed online now as the current issue. That is the latest issue I have from fictionwise. No problems there.

Analog: September is listed as the current issue online. September is my latest issue from fictionwise, but part 2 of a serial by Barry B. Longyear is missing. It's not in the TOC and not in the issue although it's listed on the cover.

Interzone: Current issue listed online is #223. The latest issue I've received from fictionwise is #221.

Black Static: Current issue listed online is #11. I subscribed May 16th and the starting issue was to be #10. So far I have received nothing.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

For Asimov's, either the serial is also missing from the paper edition, or there's been a conversion problem. Ask fictionwise to check.

For Interzone, I've been subscribed for a while, and Interzone seems to be a bit late in making new issues available as ebooks and then several appear quickly. I'd suggest checking with Interzone directly.

No idea about Black Static. I'd start by asking fictionwise.

Fictionwise are pretty good about handling problems. But they can do nothing if they don't know that there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
IAnalog: September is listed as the current issue online. September is my latest issue from fictionwise, but part 2 of a serial by Barry B. Longyear is missing. It's not in the TOC and not in the issue although it's listed on the cover.

Interzone: Current issue listed online is #223. The latest issue I've received from fictionwise is #221.

Black Static: Current issue listed online is #11. I subscribed May 16th and the starting issue was to be #10. So far I have received nothing.

Caveat Emptor!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
no.guru
Crazy like a

I thought the delays on Interzone and Black Static must be due to the publisher because they're both published by the same house, TTA Press. I'm not happy with the delays so I canceled both of those subscriptions this morning.

On the Barry B. Longyear story, it seems Analog is a bit mixed up. Part 1 of his story Turning the Grain is said to be in the September issue (http://www.analogsf.com/0909/issue_09.shtml), but it already appeared in the July/August issue. I misread it as part 2 of the story. I can only assume part 2 will appear in the next issue, having skipped one issue since part 1.

So, there are no problems with fictionwise after all. My dissatisfaction is with is with TTA Press (http://ttapress.com/) and I have remedied that. Of course I haven't heard from them yet, but fictionwise says in the FAQ they will refund the prorated portion of a subscription.