Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I found a home for my 500. I sold it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #32
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Well Bob, does this signify retirement for your 500?
Good question! I guess I haven't made a decision yet, and even if I get a 505 just try to pry the 500 away from me!

My feeling is that the 500 will have a significant place in e-book history because of it's ability to reach out to the general public in a whole new way. If e-books catch on like we expect, whether you like the Sony devices or not, we may all eventually look fondly on the 500 as a significant step. In fact, not just the device, but also the advertising push working to make this something more attractive to the average person. It's good for e-books in general.

Oddly enough, all the things that seem so important about the "gadget" side of things ultimately pale in comparison to the actual reading experience. I probably should have written more about that. It needs to have a reader's "minimum set of required features and compatibility", but when I have the 500 and 505 both available, I want to grab the 505 for one and only one reason - the screen is easier on my eyes and therefore more pleasant to read with.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #33
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
1. Cover design: Personally I loved the design of the 500's cover. It was a little tricky to get on/off, but I liked that because it felt solid. The new cover attachment seems pretty flimsy to me. I also like to fold my cover over and set it down tent-like on its side as I read in bed. I'm not sure if the new cover can handle that.
I also like to fold my cover over and do so with the 505. I'm not sure about the tent-like operations but you can certainly fold the cover behind and read comfortably.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #34
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
Hi KlondikeGeoff,
as a fellow Rocket owner - and about to decide if to wait for the Gen3 or go for the 505,
could you tell me more in detail which features of the Rocket you miss most using the Reader?
Wow, Alessandro, let me try to count the ways, if I can remember them all.

Backlight, of course, with several settings of both brightness and contrast. But I can live very well with eInk.

Built-in lookup word dictionary, Search, Notes, Underline, go to any page, ability to view screen in all four positions, reversible page forward keys, time and date, ability to set the auto shutoff time.

Most important of all is the ability to download and use any font and type size that is on the computer.

As this eBook has been around for years, one would think that somebody at Sony might have taken a look at it and incorporated some of these features, but nooooo.

Consequently, I still keep and use it, especially for reading at night in the dark.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #35
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
I used the 505 in direct sunlight at the beach for two days this weekend. Outstanding performance and readability compared to the 500, which always would fade in direct sunlight. Absolutely no fade or character deterioration with 505. Major improvement IMHO.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #36
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I LIKE USING MY READER IN HIGH WINDS IN AREAS WHERE I WOULD NORMALLY SEE PEOPLE READING PAPER BACKS.

HAPPY CAPS LOCK DAY.
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #37
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
Very interesting and very helpful review. Thanks, Bob!
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #38
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The term eReader is used to denote a program that reader eReader format content. Please refrain from the incorrect usage of that term as it changes the entire meaning of your post.
To you and Harry, I guess saying "ereader" must make you feel the same way as when I hear the term "download" when people really mean "upload." When I normally correct the people and tell them it's upload their response is usually that the two terms are the "same thing." We all KNOW it's not the same thing, but the general public, being the way they are, couldn't give a hoot as to the technical terms so everything is "downloaded."

For example "I downloaded all those books from my READER to the computer." BEEP! I'm sorry, you don't win the prize. The correct way to phrase that is "I uploaded all those books from my READER to the computer."
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
For example "I downloaded all those books from my READER to the computer." BEEP! I'm sorry, you don't win the prize. The correct way to phrase that is "I uploaded all those books from my READER to the computer."
I'm sorry, why is that the correct way to phrase it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #40
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Actually, if you're using the interface on the personal computer, which is the likely scenario, it is downloading.

Downloading is moving files to the device you're directly controlling to do the transfer.
Uploading is moving the files away from the device you're directly controlling.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #41
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's confusing when you control both ends of the process, it's less confusing when you only control one end of the process, like a PC to Internet interface.

I.e. You'd upload your nicely formatted public domain e-book to MobileRead's e-book section.

Then you'd download someone else's nicely formatted public domain e-book from MobileRead's e-book section.

As for eReader versus Reader, it's more a matter of the wrong name. You wouldn't call HarryT JSWolf -- they're two different people. And you wouldn't call an e-book reading software "Reader" because its name is actually eReader, and you wouldn't call an e-ink e-book reading device made by Sony "eReader" because its name is "Reader."

As Lieutenant Commander Data once said: "One is my name, the other is not."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course, you can say My reading device is downloading books from the computer. But if you say it the other way it would be, My computer is uploading books to my reading device.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Maybe I should just stick to transferring ;-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Maybe I should just stick to transferring ;-)
Yes, transferring is a good word to use and would not be wrong in either case.

My computer is transferring books to my reading device.
My reading device is transferring books from the computer.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it was just a "name" then I wouldn't give too hoots whether people call it the "Reader" or the "eReader". The problem is that "eReader" is an eBook format which is not compatible with the Reader, so if you go around talking about "eReader books" there's a high probability of confusion - are you talking about "books in eReader format" or "books for the Sony Reader"? Even worse would be if you went to an eBook store and bought a DRM-protected book in eReader format, expecting to be able to read it on your Reader, and then discovered that you couldn't; eReader DRM has not been "cracked" so you'd be stuck with a book that you couldn't do anything with.

Because of these issues I'm afraid that I am going to keep reminding people that the machine is not called the "eReader" - it really is important.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote