Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #16
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Unfortunately, Sony has no plans for a European release, at least not for the forseeable future.
Bit silly that, as I would guess that Europeans read more books per capita than those in the USA...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Bit silly that, as I would guess that Europeans read more books per capita than those in the USA...

Now now... lets not get ahead of ourselves
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thats pretty dim Jaed, and you guys wonder why we call you elitist.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #19
mrbonheur
mrbonheur began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan
Thats pretty dim Jaed, and you guys wonder why we call you elitist.
In addition, it is simply not true that Europeans buy more ebooks than us-citizens.
mrbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #20
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Well... there is an interesting report of reading habits in the European Union in:
http://www.wischenbart.com/Booklab/B...nce%202005.pdf

In page 25 the graph shows that the book reading per capita is around 37 books/person a year on average.

Anybody has data from USA?

Cheers,

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonheur
In addition, it is simply not true that Europeans buy more ebooks than us-citizens.
Well... This is why I said "I guess"... And I meant it to mean. "Just because the market may be perceived as smaller and more difficult to reach, it might actually be the same size and as equally attractive as the US"...

Ie, in Europe we have more languages to deal with so the book market is more fragmented but we still want the Sony Reader...

Last edited by jęd; 06-08-2006 at 11:47 AM.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide
Well... there is an interesting report of reading habits in the European Union in:
http://www.wischenbart.com/Booklab/B...nce%202005.pdf

In page 25 the graph shows that the book reading per capita is around 37 books/person a year on average.

Anybody has data from USA?

Cheers,

L.
I believe you misread the data. I found the source study here:

http://www.publishing-watch.org/docu...ust%202004.pdf

On page 75 it has more detailed information on the chart you linked to where it states those numbers on the left of the chart are a percentage of those EU members that read 8 books or more per year for reasons other than study or work. A far cry from 37.

Last edited by pitcher23; 06-08-2006 at 02:18 PM.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23
I believe you misread the data. I found the source study here:

http://www.publishing-watch.org/docu...ust%202004.pdf

On page 75 it has more detailed information on the chart you linked to where it states those numbers on the left of the chart are a percentage of those EU members that read 8 books or more per year for reasons other than study or work. A far cry from 37.
Mmm...

I see that my Ph.D. supervisor was right when she told me that you have to put the meaning of a graph in its caption!!

Now that you point it, 37 books/person a year on average was too much. Even for Europe!!

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, I'm finally above average on something! Well, above European average, whatever that means to anybody.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide
Mmm...

I see that my Ph.D. supervisor was right when she told me that you have to put the meaning of a graph in its caption!!

Now that you point it, 37 books/person a year on average was too much. Even for Europe!!

L.

Heh. I was trying to find where it stated what the numbers on the left column represented, which is what made me check the source. I was trying to figure where they found the time to read all those books
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #26
marc59
marc59 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Being in Europe I find it disappointing to read the Sony reader will not be available here shortly. Despite Sony s reputation concerning drm I would rather buy their reader than the iRex. The iRex is not only more expensive - I basically read PDF ebooks and I am not interested in the extra features of the iRex - but the product is also made by a Philips owned company. Having lived most of my life in Philips hometown I have seen zillions of innovative products being launched by this company only to be taken off the market shortly afterwards. Either the products had serious defects or the marketing was so horrific that no one bought the thing. Sony just seems to deliver more reliable products. So... where are you, Sony? I would love to read my next 37 books on your Reader.
marc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #27
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc59
I basically read PDF ebooks and I am not interested in the extra features of the iRex.
One fairly good reason for going Reader would be that Adobe does the PDF implementation. Within the PDF profile, neither you nor the ebook producers are likely to get any surprises.

Haven't seen any information for the iLiad so far on the PDF implementation.

But note that Bill McCoy seems to say that PDFs have to be specially formatted for the Reader -- no support of reflow. I'm not sure I got that right, though -- Adobe Reader for Pocket PC does reflow, so why not Acrobat Reader for Reader?
ath is offline   Reply With Quote