Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
jayr
jayr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question PDF to TXT, Windows vs Ubuntu?

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a library of PDFs to TXT and having kind of an.. odd(?) issue. When converting using the command line on Windows it comes out absolutely beautiful, exactly what I'm looking for. When converting in Ubuntu command line, it's ... not great.

Ubuntu: "ebook-convert file1.PDF file1.TXT", it runs all together and is difficult to read.

Windows: using the same command, "ebook-convert.exe file1.PDF file1.TXT", it comes out beautifully!

Is there a difference in engines or possibly default settings? I have checked that both boxes are running the same version, 2.56.0 (ebook-convert --version).
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are you using a distro-installed version of calibre on Ubuntu?

Because I am betting that is the problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
jayr
jayr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are you using a distro-installed version of calibre on Ubuntu?

Because I am betting that is the problem.
I've used the instructions from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux to install. Both my windows box and ubuntu have v2.56.0 installed.

Is that correct?

Last edited by jayr; 05-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr View Post
I've used the instructions from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux to install. Both my windows box and ubuntu have v2.56.0 installed.

Is that correct?
Yes

Do read the sticky about PDF at the top of this section.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, that is odd, because when using the command-line the default settings from the GUI aren't considered.

And the code should be the same on both platforms (with the exception of certain distros that modify the calibre sources before compiling and redistributing).

But if you installed the binary build like you said, then that shouldn't be a problem.
So apparently the official Windows build and the official Linux build are producing different results on the same input. Which shouldn't happen.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote