Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
angelFrog
angelFrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Best programs and devices for testing

I'm gradually coming to realize how much variance there can be in the way various ebook readers and devices translate/display epub and mobi files, and I'm wondering what programs and devices I should test my ebooks on to be reasonably certain that they look as expected for as many readers as possible.

My biggest question is concerning Kindle Previewer. Is it sufficient to test mobi files on that, or are there problems that can occur on specific devices that the Previewer won't reveal? Are there older generation Kindles that would be useful to own for testing purposes?

On the epub front, I currently test with the iBooks and Kobo apps on the iPad, Adobe Digital Editions, and my Kobo Glo. Is there much point in verifying books with the various Mac/PC readers for Kobo, Nook and Sony? Is it worthwhile to pick up a Nook or a Sony eReader?

To be safe and OCD I could buy one of every major eReading device out there… but that's probably overkill

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks in advance for any pointers!
angelFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Previewer can not show how TOC would look like from the Go To menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Correct TOC.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	110364  

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-03-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
angelFrog
angelFrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Kindle Previewer can not show how TOC would look like from the Go To menu.
That's interesting. I wonder if there's anything that can go wrong there, aside from what I might notice in the basic TOC in the Previewer.
angelFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelFrog View Post
That's interesting. I wonder if there's anything that can go wrong there, aside from what I might notice in the basic TOC in the Previewer.
One more thing. I don't think you can search for a keyword with Kindle Paperwhite Previewer. I don't know about other devices.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote