Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Which format for K3 ?

Hi All
I'm still new to all this, K3, Calibre etc.
I DID search this site, but I'm hit by information overflow :-(
So far I've "just converted to mobi" whatever I could find of ebooks on the Darknet. Some ok, other so-so, others horrible.
Ran into a snag though. A book with French names, alot of `´ etc, and they did not work in mobi. Just shows a square and following characters are missing.
If I send the original text file to K3 it looks absolute fine, so the K3 can display these characters, but maybe mobi format can't handle this ?
As I'm still learning, I would like some recommendations/experiences of which format to use.
If possible pros/cons as well.
BTW: Bought Fall Of Giants from amazon.com and that book had images to represent the ^Y
Hope at least some of you wonderfull people can help me out and explain this
Hope you have a nice weekend,
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a character encoding issue. You need to specify the correct code page in the Mobi file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

How ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is a character encoding issue. You need to specify the correct code page in the Mobi file.
Hi Harry
Thanks - as you probably expected:
How to specify codepage ? Inside Calibre, during conversion ? can't find it.
Would you be able to help me learn something new today (again)
Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
When you are converting in Calibre, in the "Look and Feel" section, there is an entry for "Input Character Conversion". That's where you specify the correct code.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
When you are converting in Calibre, in the "Look and Feel" section, there is an entry for "Input Character Conversion". That's where you specify the correct code.
So something like cp1250 ?
Wow - that appears to do it !
Thanks all !
If you have any other comments/recommendations, please feel free to enlighten me further

Hmmm - I do get all characters correctly in the mobi, but .. strange font, weird line breaks.
Is it possible to get the "default" font as well as the `´'s in the mobi ?
edit2: should this be moved to Calibre forum ? Still I need help from K3 users

Last edited by pchrist7; 10-24-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict

Convert to RTF fixed `´ and font

Hi all
Thank you for your help.
In this case it turned out the best solution for me, was to convert txt to rtf and then to mobi.
Just shows that some books have to be "nursed" - some even more.
I'll have to learn this as I move along.
Thanks.