Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
AncientWolf
AncientWolf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Hi

Hey Folks,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a published author and artist, and I'm working on creating .epub versions of my stories using Sigil and Calibre.

I could use a bit of help with creating a stylesheet (css) that will format the body text more like how it would appear in print. One thing I don't like is the extra amount of space between hard returns and between paragraphs. Seems like an inordinate amount of whitespace to me. If anybody could point me to a discussion thread on this (or could show me how to do what I want), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

AncientWolf
AncientWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to Mobileread.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your reading habits.

Do you have an ebook reader?

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi AncientWolf and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
AncientWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Welcome to Mobileread.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your reading habits.

Do you have an ebook reader?

Don
(Moderator)
Thanks.

Reading habits...I like sci-fi and heroic fantasy books, also like ancient history. For reading e-books, I just use Adobe Digital Editions.

My background: I'm a veteran of the U.S. Navy (Electronics Tech), I have Bachelor of Science degrees in both Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering, and have been an I.T. professional for the past 30+ years.

I've been an artist ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil (I'm 58 now), and I'm a published author with three titles out so far with more coming. I currently have fans across the U.S. and in at least 13 other countries that I know of, and on one art website, I have (at this moment) 519,318 total page views.

I'm currently importing one of my new (soon-to-be-published) novels into EPUB format at the encouragement of the director of my local library. The EPUB versions will be uploaded to a site run by a consortium of libraries where patrons will be able to check out the e-book just like a regular print book.

I'm still new to doing things in xhtml (I have experience in several programming languages). I'm using Sigil 0.9.8 and Calibre 3.8 for creating and editing my EPUB files.

I've been having problems trying to get rid of what appears as extra blank lines between sentences that have a hard return and also between paragraphs. I think I may have gotten a handle on that issue, though now I'm trying to get my footnotes text to match the type and size of the regular text (seems to be a different font, and larger). Another issue will be getting certain text to appear in a nice inset block.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
AncientWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Hi AncientWolf and welcome to MobileRead.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientWolf View Post
Thanks.

Reading habits...I like sci-fi and heroic fantasy books, also like ancient history. For reading e-books, I just use Adobe Digital Editions.

My background: I'm a veteran of the U.S. Navy (Electronics Tech), I have Bachelor of Science degrees in both Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering, and have been an I.T. professional for the past 30+ years.

I've been an artist ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil (I'm 58 now), and I'm a published author with three titles out so far with more coming. I currently have fans across the U.S. and in at least 13 other countries that I know of, and on one art website, I have (at this moment) 519,318 total page views.

I'm currently importing one of my new (soon-to-be-published) novels into EPUB format at the encouragement of the director of my local library. The EPUB versions will be uploaded to a site run by a consortium of libraries where patrons will be able to check out the e-book just like a regular print book.

I'm still new to doing things in xhtml (I have experience in several programming languages). I'm using Sigil 0.9.8 and Calibre 3.8 for creating and editing my EPUB files.

I've been having problems trying to get rid of what appears as extra blank lines between sentences that have a hard return and also between paragraphs. I think I may have gotten a handle on that issue, though now I'm trying to get my footnotes text to match the type and size of the regular text (seems to be a different font, and larger). Another issue will be getting certain text to appear in a nice inset block.

Now THAT'S an introduction! That wasn't hard, was it?

For any questions you may have, you will need to visit the forum related to your issues. Please look around our site. If you need assistance on where to look please PM one of the Moderators.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sigil 0.9.8, stylesheet.css