Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Question about Writing and Patreon

Hey all, I have a question. An idea was tossed at me not long ago to consider signing up to Patreon as a means of selling books via subscription. The basic premise would be one of several.

1. Sell the books either at normal price, and use Patreon for special content that can't be had any other way.

2. Sell the books for free, but use Patreon for early release of new or exclusive content. IE, if a book is due out in June, subscribers would start getting it a chapter or two at a time prior to release, and when all the paid subscribers got their copies, THEN the general public got theirs.

3. Release audiobooks a chapter at a time on youtube and then have people support you through patreon as a content creator.

And there were other ideas, but those were the basic ones. What do you guys think of this idea?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Isn't Paetron a pay what you think this is worth site?
Can you put your books there and other places?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
When I get a chance I will read more about it, I hadn't heard of it before. But my first impression is that it's not so much a site for gaining fans as for keeping/entertaining them. If that's the case, I think I need to finish the first step first.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Cinisajoy - It's more or less a subscription site where you get both publicly released content as well as Patreon Patron only content. A lot of content creators use it. Especially artists and those on youtube.

GMW - Right, the idea is that your fans can give you a consistent amount of support every month in the form of a subscription. I myself don't have an account yet, but I'm considering one. The idea looks very interesting.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go for it.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Patreon works for some people, and not for others. You can put anything up for your Patreon supports, but ultimately it comes down one thing: Be absolutely sure that you can continually put up new stuff for your supporters.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Patreon works for some people, and not for others. You can put anything up for your Patreon supports, but ultimately it comes down one thing: Be absolutely sure that you can continually put up new stuff for your supporters.
I thought it sounded something like that, which puts it in much the same category as blogs, facebook pages, twitter accounts and so on - of which I only have the first, and I can't even keep current on that. I have sometimes thought I should get a twitter account, because it will be really easy to provide daily updates on where I am and what I'm doing: Sitting at my computer again, working, writing, editing, tweeting.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I thought it sounded something like that, which puts it in much the same category as blogs, facebook pages, twitter accounts and so on - of which I only have the first, and I can't even keep current on that. I have sometimes thought I should get a twitter account, because it will be really easy to provide daily updates on where I am and what I'm doing: Sitting at my computer again, working, writing, editing, tweeting.
Don't forget Mobile reading.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Don't forget Mobile reading.
Whoops. Very neglectful of me not to mention that.