Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
How does Whispersync for voice work?

I'm thinking that I might want to try being able to both read and listen to a book in turn, that Whispersync for voice thing Amazon is pushing. I've got a Kindle Keyboard, and I suppose I could authorize my droid with Audible so I could put the audible files on my phone...

But I'm not sure how this process works. Once I've stopped listening, do I have to connect to Amazon to tell them where I left off so my file on my K3 will jump to that place? and if so, how do I do that? I've never listened to books on anything but my iPod Nano (which isn't covered as one of the synch-able devices), and have no idea how I'd download an audiobook to my phone, much less synch it to Amazon.

And then, to pick up reading on my K3, do I have to connect to anything special in Amazon to get the K3 to jump to the specific page I want? or do I just turn on wifi and it will work automagically?

Has anyone tried both listening to and reading a book with this new feature? how well does it work? (I'll have to buy a new copy of the ebook, I suspect, but the one I want to try this with is only $6, so it's worth it for the experiment.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
...or do I just turn on wifi and it will work automagically?
Mostly this.

These two threads should be helpful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190244
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190338

I've used it, and it syncs beautifully. For audio, I use the Audible app on my iPad, and I've synced it with both my K3 and the Kindle app on my iPad.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to try it with Small Gods - we had it from Audible already, and the kindle version wasn't terribly expensive. We're reading that for my book club next week, so that'll be a good book to try this out in.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Here are some options for trying Amazon whispersync for voice, syncing between Kindle and audible books (free):
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...n%3A5744839011

As Loosheesh mentioned, whispersync works very well. I listened to a book while out walking the dog this weekend, then came home and finished reading it on my kindle.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm going to try it with Small Gods - we had it from Audible already, and the kindle version wasn't terribly expensive. We're reading that for my book club next week, so that'll be a good book to try this out in.
No, it won't. The feature only works with books that have whispersync for voice enabled by Amazon/Audible.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
It also only works for those books you purchased from Amazon and the audiobook from Audible. You also have to link your Audible account to your Amazon account. I've tried it and it works just like the regular whispersync, but it is sometimes not instantaneous, some times it takes a few minutes for the two to have linked up but it works well otherwise.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I purchased the ebook through Amazon, and had the audiobook from Audible some time ago. I checked on the page at Amazon for Small Gods, and it said whispersync for voice was active.