Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #316
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks Blossom! Oh I see, I thought it was both the the k4 and the touch. I love the touch so far. I got so used to using touch with my fire, that I thought I'd try the e-ink touch, even though I do still like my kindle keyboard. I like the touch better though.

I notice ghosting on my kindle touch only on the menu pages. It's definitely worse on my touch on menu pages than on my kk. I don't notice it really on my kk. On my touch when I'm reading a book, it's fine though and it doesn't have ghosting at all then. I have it set to refresh every page because I'm fussy like that. lol. I don't mind it much on the menus. I guess the page refresh setting only means while reading since the menus have it noticeably on the touch.
It was just speculation from photos on the Touch if it had the same contrast issues on the K4 but now it's been out awhile I can only think of 3 people who said it was darker than their other Kindle. On the K4 I have lost count how many people have said they have contrast issues with their K4. I've talk to so many people who contacted me privately Some here, Some on Facebook and comments on Amazon. I tell them all the same. If you're not happy call Amazon and they will send you a replacement.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-22-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #317
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you used a reader with pearl like the K3 or Sony and then go to a K4 that isn't tuned correctly it's like taking a step back somewhere between vizplex and pearl.
I have seen in the gpl source code for the eink display drivers where lab126 disable eink automatic temperature compensation and assumes that the display temperature is 25C, but this might just be an initial condition that gets changed elsewhere in the code.

Perhaps eink display comparisons should be done at 25C (77F), just to be accurate. This would be a typical outside summer time temperature around here.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #318
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I would rather see it calibrated at a temperature of 20 degrees C... That's a normal room temperate, 25C isn't. This would mean that most well-calibrated Kindles are used in too cold an environment, so they would never be perfect.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #319
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have seen in the gpl source code for the eink display drivers where lab126 disable eink automatic temperature compensation and assumes that the display temperature is 25C, but this might just be an initial condition that gets changed elsewhere in the code.

Perhaps eink display comparisons should be done at 25C (77F), just to be accurate. This would be a typical outside summer time temperature around here.
I never take my Kindle outside. My home is 65F to 70F all year long. So I wonder how long do you have to have the Kindle on before it reaches 25C? Our Summers are much more hotter than yours. Our temps are 88F to 102F which is why I love Central Air. When it gets past 70F I stay indoors till Fall.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #320
Yomat
Yomat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Yomat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Yomat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Yomat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay if you change the font to a black font it will look so much better! I use Amasis that was modified just for the Kindle. It looks amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomat View Post
I'm trying to find that font too, but the only thing I've found is that post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...sis#post984650

¿Is that the one that you have? I've donwloaded the file and it only has the regular font inside. ¿Shouldn't it has the bold and italic font too?
Blossom, some please
Yomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #321
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Just got mine this afternoon - the weather outside's above 0 Celsius, and when I shine light on the screen in a dark room (it's charging now), the K3 and K4 screens are pretty much indistinguishable in my case; high contrast, although the background looks a little greyer if the light hits the bezel, whereas without that as a reference it's less gray and more like my K3 from Oct/Nov 2010.

It hasn't prompted me to update to 5.0.3 yet, though. I'm using the second-smallest font and the text is perfectly readable... but I long for page-turn buttons so I don't have to move my thumb over to turn pages.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #322
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Just got mine this afternoon - the weather outside's above 0 Celsius, and when I shine light on the screen in a dark room (it's charging now), the K3 and K4 screens are pretty much indistinguishable in my case; high contrast, although the background looks a little greyer if the light hits the bezel, whereas without that as a reference it's less gray and more like my K3 from Oct/Nov 2010.

It hasn't prompted me to update to 5.0.3 yet, though. I'm using the second-smallest font and the text is perfectly readable... but I long for page-turn buttons so I don't have to move my thumb over to turn pages.
5.0.3 is Kindle Touch. The K4 is a different device. It is a non touch and current firmware is 4.0.1
Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #323
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I should've realized I was in the wrong thread. I should've been posting in JSWolf's thread about the K4. Still, the bezel does seem to make a huge difference in how the screen looks.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #324
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ah, I should've realized I was in the wrong thread. I should've been posting in JSWolf's thread about the K4. Still, the bezel does seem to make a huge difference in how the screen looks.
I can't comment on the Kindle Touch's bezel but I can't say with my K4 the bezel doesn't do anything to change the screen. It's always a newspaper grey.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #325
Haesslich
Fanatic

As I noted in the earlier post, when I can't see the bezel (being in a dark room, with the light shining only on the screen), the grey's less... grey. Whereas if I use the same light and move the hotspot enough to the side to illuminate the bezel, the grey is more noticeable. Same dark room, same light, and same angle of light with no extraneous light to reflect off anything but the part of the screen I've lit up.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #326
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
As I noted in the earlier post, when I can't see the bezel (being in a dark room, with the light shining only on the screen), the grey's less... grey. Whereas if I use the same light and move the hotspot enough to the side to illuminate the bezel, the grey is more noticeable. Same dark room, same light, and same angle of light with no extraneous light to reflect off anything but the part of the screen I've lit up.
Oh your talking about the Bezel changing from dark gray to silver. Yes My K4 does that but it has no effect on the screen.
I do find the K4 sensitive to lighting tints. We have yellow tinted globes in the front room. So it's more warm giving the K4 greyish-yellowish background then say in bathroom where the light is white frosted and it's grey.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #327
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
For most people the appearness of the screen would be affected by the bezel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

The K4 reflective properties going from grey to dark greey pretty quick is a bit interresting, is it just the color they chose or something special going on ?
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #328
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
This illusion is also interessting, in that a textured bezel can increase fuzziness of the display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubb_illusion

tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #329
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Red face

An update on my K4 purchase. I tried my replacement K4 in all of my usual spots and was disappointed enough to return it for a refund. I really thought I would keep it, but I decided to push on with my K3. I really liked most features on the K4. I'll wait and keep an eye on things and see if Amazon comes up with some kind of an improvement. Not 100% out of the market yet.
I did read a little about how E-ink works and will suggest a theory. Since the K4 is smaller and thinner Amazon asked for a thinner e-ink panel design, which reduced the number of black/white microcapsules, resulting in less contrast.
Second theory: The battery is smaller and less powerful so the panel is not being driven as hard (pulling the microcapsules up or down) in order to extend battery life.
Beaker will be in the lab checking this out.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #330
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
An update on my K4 purchase. I tried my replacement K4 in all of my usual spots and was disappointed enough to return it for a refund. I really thought I would keep it, but I decided to push on with my K3. I really liked most features on the K4. I'll wait and keep an eye on things and see if Amazon comes up with some kind of an improvement. Not 100% out of the market yet.
I did read a little about how E-ink works and will suggest a theory. Since the K4 is smaller and thinner Amazon asked for a thinner e-ink panel design, which reduced the number of black/white microcapsules, resulting in less contrast.
Second theory: The battery is smaller and less powerful so the panel is not being driven as hard (pulling the microcapsules up or down) in order to extend battery life.
Beaker will be in the lab checking this out.
Perhaps getting a Kindle Touch you would be more happy, it seems not to suffer from the issue. I prefer Geekmaster theory which says they aren't calibrating some of them correctly which why some K4s have this issue.