Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #61
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It really drains my battery but my house doesn't get very good Sprint signal. I have to charge my Sprint phone pretty much daily, too. I don't have any periodicals to be delivered so I pretty much only turn on the wireless when I'm getting books or doing a wiki search. I charge a couple times a week but the battery usually isn't very low when I do.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #62
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't know of any battery problems. It's just that I had assumed that leaving the wireless on all day would drain the battery more.
As an ironic aside - when I got home from work yesterday I pulled my Kindle from my backpack and discovered that my battery was almost completely drained! At first I thought it must be negative karma for bragging about battery life here but it occurred to me that the installation of the 1.0.4 update must have drained the battery and I just didn't notice it yesterday morning.

I recharged last evening and things seem fine today.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Besides Audible aBook support, what else does 1.0.4 bring to the Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #64
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
As an ironic aside - when I got home from work yesterday I pulled my Kindle from my backpack and discovered that my battery was almost completely drained! At first I thought it must be negative karma for bragging about battery life here but it occurred to me that the installation of the 1.0.4 update must have drained the battery and I just didn't notice it yesterday morning.

I recharged last evening and things seem fine today.

Bob
Right after I updated, I had strange battery stuff happening. The battery meter would go down to almost zero in a matter of minutes after opening a book. But after I did a firmware reset, everything started working fine again. Beware though, a firmware reset, will erase everything. I even had to re-register the Kindle. Easy to do tho and everything was backed up, so it all worked out.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #65
shawnlg
shawnlg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Didn't do anything for me but reset the Kindle. Still on 1.0. I reset it and put it to sleep with wireless on. It just stayed asleep. Does it normally start right away?
shawnlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #66
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Right after I updated, I had strange battery stuff happening. The battery meter would go down to almost zero in a matter of minutes after opening a book. But after I did a firmware reset, everything started working fine again.
Mine seems to be working normally without doing this. I'll keep a close eye on it for a few days. I think my battery drain was related to the installation of the update. Maybe it is a resource intensive procedure or maybe it needs to re-index all the documents after updating. Amazon does not seem to be going out of their way to provide information about either the update or the update process.

I wonder if Amazon has anything in place to test your battery level before starting an update. Surely it would not be good to run out of juice in the middle of an update.

Bob

P.S. I should mention that it is easy to determine when the update arrives as you will see a new Kindle Users Guide in your book list.

Last edited by bwit; 02-28-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #67
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I turned on the wireless and then went into the menu, selected UPDATE, the download/upgrade started immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
Didn't do anything for me but reset the Kindle. Still on 1.0. I reset it and put it to sleep with wireless on. It just stayed asleep. Does it normally start right away?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #68
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
This is for anyone (like me) who hadn't gotten the update. It was posted in another forum, I tried it, and it worked. Do an Alt + Up Arrow + R + Home. This resets the Kindle and, when I did this, it immediately started the download process. Put it to 'sleep' and wait. You should see it reboot in 20-30 minutes as it applies.
Could you direct me to the forum where you found that?

Or send it in email if you don't want to post it.

Thanks
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
This is for anyone (like me) who hadn't gotten the update. It was posted in another forum, I tried it, and it worked. Do an Alt + Up Arrow + R + Home. This resets the Kindle and, when I did this, it immediately started the download process. Put it to 'sleep' and wait. You should see it reboot in 20-30 minutes as it applies.
Please give us a link to the bin file.

I am unable to upload it or email it because my DSL is so slow.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #70
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, Audible support exists in 1.0 firmware already.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #71
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not much: new screensavers, 'improved line function in browser', and change in default search
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #72
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They also obfuscated their Java classes this time
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #73
bwit
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They also obfuscated their Java classes this time
So this likely is the real reason for the update, eh?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #74
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, I'm sure there were changes but with the obfuscation it's kinda hard to do the code comparison...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #75
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Ok, this may be just my Kinde, but the update to 1.0.4 increased the functionality of the default dictionary. Before the update, when I would look up a word, I could view the definition of the word, but couldn't go to the next page of the dictionary. Sometimes the definition of the word would be more than one page. And I couldn't do much about it.

Now when I look up a word, I can go the next page, and the next page, even on to different entries from with-in the little dictionary window pop-up. Couldn't do that before.

So have I made any sense here? Sorry, it's early!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote