Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #121
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
iPad et al do it for more money and less space (sometimes) and/or more "geek" worthiness.
Really? I replaced my e-ink K2 with the iPad and haven't look back! I must say however, that the new Pearl e-ink on the K3 is far superior than what I had on my K2.
I applaud B&N on the their color e-reader (yes, it's an e-reader as it's electronic) and think it will sell well for folks who want a color reader that is backlit so can be read in day or night settings instead of black and white. Of course, like any LCD product, it won't be good for direct daylight reading.
Yes, it's half the cost of an iPad, but the iPad does so much more with the availability of apps through i-tunes. But again, it's being marketed as a primary book reader and the iPad is nearly a laptop. Frankly, I don't even take my laptop anymore when traveling. Do I miss Flash movies? It's a minor inconvience. Need a SD card for my camera? No, I have the camera attachment so transfer photos, videos directly to my iPad. USB port? Don't need it. On my iPad I have access to a number of book sources, from Free Books to I-books to Kindle Amazon store and any number of internet sites I can access books from. I have plenty to read! Magazines are spectacular on the iPad! So, yes I am very happy I switched from Kindle reader to the iPad.
I am sure that the Nook Color will be a success. They are getting into the market ahead of other recognized name brands so like the Apple iPad, will probably get a lion's share of sales from folks who are interested or even curious about e-readers.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #122
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Yes, it's half the cost of an iPad, but the iPad does so much more with the availability of apps through i-tunes. But again, it's being marketed as a primary book reader and the iPad is nearly a laptop.
The Color will get hacked and then the Android Market will be available. At this point it'll become a high end tablet, fully the equal of the iPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #123
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Color will get hacked and then the Android Market will be available. At this point it'll become a high end tablet, fully the equal of the iPad.
well, yes, jailbreaking it will open up a whole new world of apps for the Nook, but does it have 10 battery life? I think that from what I have read, around 5-6 hours will be average which is fine for most folks. Frankly I have yet to run down my iPad battery below 20%. At at the entry price of $250, the Nook will get lots more potential readers off the fence and into portable devices. If it had been introduced before the iPad, I am sure I would have bought one! Much more resonable price for the average consumer. Hmmm, $139 for B/W Kindle or $250 for LCD Nook with internet......... Would have been a no-brainer.
Happy Halloween everyone!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #124
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
well, yes, jailbreaking it will open up a whole new world of apps for the Nook, but does it have 10 battery life? I think that from what I have read, around 5-6 hours will be average which is fine for most folks. Frankly I have yet to run down my iPad battery below 20%. At at the entry price of $250, the Nook will get lots more potential readers off the fence and into portable devices. If it had been introduced before the iPad, I am sure I would have bought one! Much more resonable price for the average consumer. Hmmm, $139 for B/W Kindle or $250 for LCD Nook with internet......... Would have been a no-brainer.
Happy Halloween everyone!
Rated at 8 hours, it's the same size battery as the Galaxy Tab.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #125
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Happy Halloween!

I know I said this already, but to be honest November 19th couldn't come soon enough for me. I wonder how many people ordered one within the hour of its announcement? I wonder how many are on order now?
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #126
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm not buying anything until Black Friday. Then I plan to get:
  • Nook Color
  • eInk reader (undecided - sale prices will be determining factor)
  • iPod touch 4
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #127
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
I'm condsidering (even actively considering, which by sir Humphrey's definition is that they have lost theh file but are trying to find it) buying this as a birthday gift for my son's 15th on the 11th of December. If it comes out the 19th and is available a few days later (as opposed to "while stocks last, oh, sorry, sold out") I think I'll order one for him. I too think that this will be hacked pretty soon. I have been a member of XDA Developers for almost six years and I know what those guys can do with almost anything mobile.

My question will be if it can read comics. He loves his CBR format comics, and I guess that this unit won't do that before it's rooted. But on the other hand they can be unrared to a directory, since they're basically JPG's in an arhive format. But of course that's one extra step... Then it's the school work thing. I too would love for it to be able to do Office documents. But that will be possible the moment it's rooted, right?

For myself I'm still waiting for the PixelQi Adam (yeah, even though Innoversal suddenly went mute I have hopes for our Indian friends), but if I like what I see when I get this for my son I may actually fall for this. Of course it will not be possible to read websites outside in the sun at my cabin next summer, wich was one of the things I was looking forward to, but still... I work all day on a (very good and expensive) LCD monitor and I have no problems with my eyes from that so I guess I don't need eInk to be able to read. And as long as this thing isn't the cr@ppy gloss type monitor that I really, really, really HATE then I can probably live with it.

But I do want to wait the few days after the 19th to see what real world users like the bunch here has to say about it. Preview reviews aren't really that much to be trusted I think.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #128
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am going to wait till after the first of the year. By that time its capabilities and shortcomings should be apparent, and I'll be able to make a logical judgment--right now I'm just dazzled by the prospect of a shiny new toy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #129
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I am going to wait till after the first of the year. By that time its capabilities and shortcomings should be apparent, and I'll be able to make a logical judgment--right now I'm just dazzled by the prospect of a shiny new toy.
Yesterday 10:44 PM

That's the right 9idea, but I doubt I can hold out that long. I've been considering buying an ereader since the Great Price DRop and the coming of kindle 3 in August and I'm at the limit of my patience.
I'll wait till the first hands on reviews and then pull the trigger Thanksgiving weekend.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #130
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have a nook and just ordered the nook color. I am pretty excited about it.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #131
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
That's the right 9idea, but I doubt I can hold out that long. I've been considering buying an ereader since the Great Price DRop and the coming of kindle 3 in August and I'm at the limit of my patience.
I'll wait till the first hands on reviews and then pull the trigger Thanksgiving weekend.
I just got my first e-reader less than a month ago, so that's part of the reason I feel I can wait. I'm thinking of the Nook Color as a supplement to what I have, and I'm really interested in all the extras. If the initial reviews just blow me away, I may not be able to hold out, though!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #132
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I was going to hold out for first reviews before making the plunge. But I just can't resist the temptation. I caved and pre-ordered it during the weekend. I too have been waiting for the right color tablet for a couple of months and I want my shiny toy before Christmas.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #133
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
As regards rooting this device and installing a comic-book reader style app, Engadget's Samsung Tab review has some relevant bits (for the current ecosystem): http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/s...xy-tab-review/

Third-party applications ... All of those scaled the 7-inch display quite well -- there weren't any formatting issues or pixelation -- however, that experience really depends on the app at the moment. For instance, Angry Birds looked beautiful on the larger screen. Seriously, it looks so incredibly awesome on the larger display that we spent the last four days replaying the game! Apps like Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, TweetDeck, YouTube also scale well, but other apps like USA Today, Engadget, Raging Thunder 2 Lite, and Speed Test don't. The latter apps are still usable, but you've got to deal with an incredibly large border of blank screen around them.

Samsung claims that any app that abides by Google's coding and design standards should work just fine, but even the apps that do scale obviously weren't built or optimized for tablets, so the experience really is like having a larger smartphone. We don't need to tell you how many of these companies could build better tablet apps if given the right SDKs -- we've seen them all do it with the iPad. Of course, the iPad was in a better situation at its launch: Apple had rolled out development tools for creating larger screened apps and a few of them we already available in the iPad app store, but Google has provided no such direction yet. We've heard that engineers at the Googleplex are in fact working on optimizing apps for tablets with the Honeycomb release and possibly rolling out a separate section of the Market, but until that happens it really comes down to trial and error and living with smartphone-sized designed software on a larger display.

Much as I am not a fan of Apple, I have to admit that I don't think we would have the current crop of smartphones and tablets without them. Also, their ability to integrate their hardware and the software running on it is not going to be challenged by Android tablets for a few months yet.

Of course, the good thing is that older devices (specs permitting) will be perfectly capable of running newer builds of Android and will benefit from any marketplace developments that occur.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #134
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/s...xy-tab-review/

Engadget's review gives the Galaxy tab 6 hours of battery life with wifi on 3G off. That makes sense since it has similar battery capacity to Nook Color's and NC's 8 hours rating is with the wifi off.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor