Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh I see what you mean, yes. But if you simply specify the format - ePub, or whatever - then the student will be free to buy whatever device can read that format, whether it be a laptop running Windows, a Mac, an Android tablet, an iPad, or whatever else they fancy. That's what I meant earlier when I said that both Android and the iPad were "open" in respect of being able to install applications on them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Yes and it is developments like those Andy mentioned, about forcing students to by ebooks, that makes me feel that the move to digital has some of the character of a scam. It is an end run around the used market. And publishers would love to do away with used text books so that they could more thoroughly exploit the captive student market. The royalty squad would love to do away with used bookstores. I like ebooks, don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling that there is more going on than a simple move to a more efficient distribution system.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh I see what you mean, yes. But if you simply specify the format - ePub, or whatever - then the student will be free to buy whatever device can read that format, whether it be a laptop running Windows, a Mac, an Android tablet, an iPad, or whatever else they fancy. That's what I meant earlier when I said that both Android and the iPad were "open" in respect of being able to install applications on them.
.... Really? What happens if he says buy it from the iBooksore.

With regards to the red "Whatever" highlight. I suppose if he said you must buy MOBI formats. At that point the users will have more choice than Apples iBook format

Of course if he says you have to have an android device, then he can tell his students to get the book anywhere.

..... Except for two problems. A good amount of the Text books will be in PDF (probably using ADOBE). And the only way to get supported access to the Apps he is refering to requires that Android devices have Access to the Google Market. Not all tablets have access to the Google market.

Also I'm seeing his point. While eBook reading technology isn't new, neither is the Android or iPad if you look at their guts. What is new is the prolivication of cheap Android devices, and it will only get more accessible. And the support for applications that read a specific DRM. Before these apps did exist but few people read on them.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-24-2010 at 04:13 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Of course if he says you have to have an android device, then he can tell his students to get the book anywhere.
This is backwards thinking.
If the point is to have open standards for ebooks, why on earth would you want to force a particular hardware platform? What is gained by saying 'you have to buy an Android device' rather than saying 'you have to buy a device capable of reading format X with DRM scheme Y'?

Quote:
Also I'm seeing his point. While eBook reading technology isn't new, neither is the Android or iPad if you look at their guts. What is new is the prolivication of cheap Android devices, and it will only get more accessible. And the support for applications that read a specific DRM. Before these apps did exist but few people read on them.
I feel like I'm in a parallel universe
So what's new isn't the iPad, and the reading apps available for it?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
This train of thought (if I can be said to have thought) started when I went to http://www.SmartQMid.com for updates for my SmartDevices V7. I noticed that Andorid had been updated, and that I could read Amazon's ebooks, Border's ebooks, and B&N's ebooks.

Since my last post, I've looked over the major online book sellers. I see that PC, Mac, iPad, BlackBerry, and Android are all fairly standard. I totally missed this in the last few months. NOW IF ONLY THE BIG TEXTBOOK PUBLISHERS WOULD GO THAT WAY!

Quote:
Yes, you are right, but we are not there yet. I do see that we may get a group of standard executable platforms BEFORE we get a standard file format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Yes and it is developments like those Andy mentioned, about forcing students to by ebooks, that makes me feel that the move to digital has some of the character of a scam. It is an end run around the used market. And publishers would love to do away with used text books so that they could more thoroughly exploit the captive student market. The royalty squad would love to do away with used bookstores. I like ebooks, don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling that there is more going on than a simple move to a more efficient distribution system.
That is because the words "scam" and "college text book" are synonyms.:rofl

We will keep paper books, and the students can pick which they wish to use. My biggest complaints are: (1) students can not keep DRMed books long-term, (2) students are tracked as they read DRMed books, and (3) we often require them to buy software (e.g., SAM 2010 from Course Technology) and they can agree to the license agreement (which goes beyond "do not pirate") or they can not turn in the work and will fail the class. Ick!

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Since my last post, I've looked over the major online book sellers. I see that PC, Mac, iPad, BlackBerry, and Android are all fairly standard. I totally missed this in the last few months. NOW IF ONLY THE BIG TEXTBOOK PUBLISHERS WOULD GO THAT WAY!
[...]
Yes, you are right, but we are not there yet. I do see that we may get a group of standard executable platforms BEFORE we get a standard file format.
I think once reasonably large screens are commonplace for readers that PDF will become a more viable format for textbooks. I've downloaded a couple of O'Reilly eBooks, they supply them in ePub or PDF, and the PDF provides a superior layout.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm not technical, but best I can understand it is, content should be like water -- bring whatever container you want and we'll fill it with content for you. Practically, I can see that happening, with DRM.

I don't want to get into debate about the evils of DRM. I just see content producers being willing to offer content in unmolded form, which would allow widest distribution (best profit potential), but with DRM, which they see protecting their product. (Maybe it protects nothing, but I don't see them giving it up.)

So what would be the most accessible method of delivering unmolded content? Pure text that can go into nearly every container, yet allow DRM to be slapped on?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
I'm not sure sure of that...

School recently started for my children. My son came home excited and said they have a new program where kids can enroll through their online library and access their text books through the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think once reasonably large screens are commonplace for readers that PDF will become a more viable format for textbooks. I've downloaded a couple of O'Reilly eBooks, they supply them in ePub or PDF, and the PDF provides a superior layout.
Yes I agree that has been my belief for some time now.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Forcing? Sorry, who is being "forced" to buy something?
[Off topic]US citizens are being (will be) forced to buy health insurance.[/Off topic]
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #25
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
oops wrong topic

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-25-2010 at 09:45 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Quote:
Can you load you own ePub into the borders or B&N apps
?
I can't use my Adobe PDF reader to read DJVU files either.
Of course, they are two differants format. If the b&n app can read drm ePub , it should be able to read drm-free ePub.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Of course, they are two differants format. If the b&n app can read drm ePub , it should be able to read drm-free ePub.
Only if it has a mechanism for loading them. The B&N app for the iPad, for example, won't let you load your own content - you can only read books from your B&N bookshelf.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #28
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
You are assuming something about software.

Software can be created to do anything the programmer makes it do. There is no gurantee that a word processor will support upper case letters, if a programmer does not want it to. Being a (competent) programmer is a lot like playing God: you can do anything you want. There are not many rules.

The thing that drives me crazy is when someone says "If I need a seperate program to ... something ... THEN IT'S USELESS!!! (You did not say this, but that others have said it.) If someone refuses to adopt ebooks because their one hardware reader needs different programs to read different books. I agree that it's annoying, but I disagree that it makes the reader "USELESS!!!"

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #29
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I found a saying on the web many years ago: "We're programmers -- we can do anything."

I'm a programmer, and find that to be true.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote