Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
GroomyDine
GroomyDine began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Is it possible to dualboot or Android boot on new kobo aura?

Hi i'm not native english speaker.
Also,i'm very poor at English.
This is my first posting.

I want to use android on new kobo aura.

I have used Aura HD as an Andoroid device.
recently, i dropped my Aura HD.
It was totally broken.

So I wanted to buy a new Kobo aura HD.
I bought a new kobo aura by mistake because the Aura HD has been discontinued.

But, new kobo aura is awesome.
I like it very much.
it is very conviniently portable & has good durability.
So i want to use android on this device.

Please, teach me how to convert my new Kobo Aura as an android device.

Last edited by GroomyDine; 03-25-2015 at 11:44 PM. Reason: mistyping
GroomyDine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As far as I can remember, the Kobo Aura does NOT have an internal SD card, so more than likely you will be unable to replace the OS by Android or dualboot using it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
GroomyDine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As far as I can remember, the Kobo Aura does NOT have an internal SD card, so more than likely you will be unable to replace the OS by Android or dualboot using it.
Is it different to use Koreader on Aura?

I have been used Koreader by using Advboot.

If I turn on the device initially, I can choose between Kobo firmware or Koreader.
I think that this is very similar to dualboot on Aura HD.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
GroomyDine

Do you have any evidence about No internal SD card?

Quote:
There is no evidence that the Kobo Aura does NOT have an internal SD card.
Wikipedia show that Kobo Aura HAVE an internal microSD card.

What is the truth?

I can't understand your answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	그림1.png
Views:	775
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	136442  

Last edited by GroomyDine; 03-27-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do a search here. People have opened their Aura's and found the internal storage is fixed. And posted photos. From memory of the discussion when the Aura came out, I think the storage is effectively a fixed SD card. But, as you have an Aura, you can open it and see for yourself.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
GroomyDine

Thank you for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do a search here. People have opened their Aura's and found the internal storage is fixed. And posted photos. From memory of the discussion when the Aura came out, I think the storage is effectively a fixed SD card. But, as you have an Aura, you can open it and see for yourself.
Thank you for your answer.

Already I'm ordered an another Kobo aura for this issue.
But your answer is very helpful.

I'm not an expert about mechanics, computer, linux and android.
I cannot classify what is the internal storage or the battery, even if i open it.

So I'm looking for expert about this issue.
Because internal storage is fixed, android boot is impossible.
But I think that the dualboot using external SD card is maybe possible.

I will gladly provide my another Kobo aura to Some kind of linux or android master.

I'm living in South Korea.
Please Someone contact me to solve this issue.

Last edited by GroomyDine; 03-27-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroomyDine View Post
Already I'm ordered an another Kobo aura for this issue.
If you are not an expert (or very lucky), chances are that you will brick your device. Consider buying another model, which has a removable internal sd card. I do not know the possibilities in Korea, but the Japanese Rakuten site, sells the Glo for a very nice price. Bic Camera might still have similar offers (EDIT: it seems they do not have this offer any longer), if this is easier to order from Korea.

Last edited by tshering; 03-27-2015 at 05:07 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroomyDine View Post
There is no evidence that the Kobo Aura does NOT have an internal SD card.
Wikipedia show that Kobo Aura HAVE an internal microSD card.

What is the truth?

I can't understand your answer.
If you want to believe Wikipedia as opposed to folks here who have experience please do. But don't expect me to help.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
If you want to believe Wikipedia as opposed to folks here who have experience please do. But don't expect me to help.
But is a new member expected to believe any statement that starts with
Quote:
As far as I can remember,
without further asking?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Lucco
Lucco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
But is a new member expected to believe any statement that starts with without further asking?
No, especially not when I have a Kobo Aura right in front of my eyes now, and there is a microSD slot in the bottom edge.
Lucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucco View Post
No, especially not when I have a Kobo Aura right in front of my eyes now, and there is a microSD slot in the bottom edge.
There is a MAJOR difference between an internal SD card which numerous Kobos have, and an external card.

Might I suggest you try to learn the differences.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucco View Post
As PeterT said, we are talking about the internal storage of the Kobo ereaders. This is used for the internal storage of books and the OS. Most Kobo ereaders have an internal micro SD slot with a card in it. This is only accessible by opening the device. A lot of people have opened their ereaders and replaced the card with a larger one to hold more books. Others have written different images on the card to run other OSes or to restore function after a disaster. But, the Aura and the N905 version for the Touch have fixed internal storage. That means that trying some of the other functions people have created is either impossible or risks bricking the ereader if something goes wrong.

The micro SD slot you see is for extra storage. It is what most people are referring to when they are talking about using an SD card. If you see "internal" or "image" in the discussion, then it is probably about the internal card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
GroomyDine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As PeterT said, we are talking about the internal storage of the Kobo ereaders. This is used for the internal storage of books and the OS. Most Kobo ereaders have an internal micro SD slot with a card in it. This is only accessible by opening the device. A lot of people have opened their ereaders and replaced the card with a larger one to hold more books. Others have written different images on the card to run other OSes or to restore function after a disaster. But, the Aura and the N905 version for the Touch have fixed internal storage. That means that trying some of the other functions people have created is either impossible or risks bricking the ereader if something goes wrong.

The micro SD slot you see is for extra storage. It is what most people are referring to when they are talking about using an SD card. If you see "internal" or "image" in the discussion, then it is probably about the internal card.
It's the perfect answer to my asking.
Thanks very much.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
GroomyDine

Quote:

All your answer was very difficult to me.
If your answer was equal to davidfor's answer,
you need "PeterT analyst" such as davidfor.

I'm just novice at e-reader, linux and android.
I am asking to your generousity.

Last edited by GroomyDine; 04-03-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
This sort of thing is discussed in the "Developer's Corner" sub forum.

You might want to start here

Google returns some useful results, as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote