Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
WanderingOne
WanderingOne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo K107
Yet another person with the Kobo ARC USB port problems

Hello, I am having a bit of a hard time finding help/parts for a Kobo ARC K107.

It slid off an end table while charging and landed on the chaging port. Since I have some experience with circuit board repair, and it being well past its warranty, I opened it up and found the micro-usb connector had lifted off the circuit board and ripped the wiring laer while doing so. The ribbon cable is marked "6201USB-R005" with a date of 2012.08.22 and followed by a batch number (I believe) C'4412'. This is a short 5cm flexible ribbon with a quick disconnect at the other side and a very easy thing to replace.

Contacting Kobo support, was un-helpful as it took multiple emails to get absolutely nothing.

So has anyone have any idea of where to get a replacement ribbon? Or a tablet that a could salvage for the part? I am hesitant to buy and break a working one to fix such a small thing.
WanderingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
le kwan
le kwan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo k107
Hello, just a bit of info regarding the USB charging fault on the Kobo reader.
My daughters Kobo has a cracked screen and then developed the charging fault so I managed to perform a heath robinson repair using an old USB cable.
I took the back off the tablet and removed the ribbon cable to the usb terminal, I then noticed that under another ribbon cable was a set of terminals that looked like good candidates for soldering a new supply cable too..see the image

so i split the USB cable and using the RED AND BLACK cores only I soldered them to the terminals as follows, RED to the VUSB point and the BLACK to the GND point as seen here

[Image violates posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

This shows the ribbon cable back in situ

Then I boxed it all up and secured the cable

Yes it is a work around but for a tablet with a cracked screen, it just was not worth sending off for repair and it works faultlessy now

It may help someone
my blogpage https://sites.google.com/site/thekwanspage/

Last edited by le kwan; 07-15-2015 at 05:43 PM.
le kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

le kwan
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
le kwan
le kwan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo k107
Sorry Dr Drib, I will remove them and re upload them smaller...ah youve done it already cheers.
le kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by le kwan View Post
Sorry Dr Drib, I will remove them and re upload them smaller...ah youve done it already cheers.

Yes, please upload some newer, smaller photos.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert