Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
tekwrite
Enthusiast
tekwrite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HDX
Posted S/N briefly on another forum; should I be worried?

I bought a Kindle HDX 7 third gen from ebay. I was trying to see if it was third gen so I posted the number on the box in another kindle forum not knowing it was the serial number. Several people suggested I remove the number from the post as a hacker could get it blacklisted? Not sure what all that means. I did remove the post a few minutes after I posted it.

Can I change the S/N? I have several other kindles..
tekwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
serial numbers cannot be changed- if they could then blacklisting could be bypassed

i can't think of any use for knowing your serial number expect maybe to configure a de-drm tool. that usage would not get back to amazon.
PS you can work back from to the generation number form the OS installed version + a Wikipedia list of what generations have what OS versions. or an email to amazon CS giving the serial number will probably get you an answer - or that info may even show up in " my devices and content" once you have registered the kindle to your account
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I wouldn't worry too much. For the serial number to be useful in removing DRM would require access to your books. Blacklisting would require that someone pretend to be you. It would be purely malicious and I don't know but imagine that you would be able to remove the blacklisting by convincing Amazon it was not you that arranged it.

It is possible that you will have problems but very unlikely and there is not much you can do now in any event. Just forget it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdx