Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
veagles
veagles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kobo Aura 2 vs Kobo Glo HD

I am long time Kindle User with a Paperwhite 3. I am considering buying a new Kobo, but I am not sure which one to go with.

I side load most of my books so the online store and availability of books is not a factor. I do care about screen quality and a good backlight.

I read from many reviews that Glo HD has a higher quality 300 ppi screen. It is a available in refurbished edition on ebay for 89$. Is it worth buying right now in 2018?
veagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
The aura 2 has a lower resolution screen than the Glo HD (212 ppi vs 300 ppi for the glo).

Glo HD has a 6 inch carta screen. I dont believe that eink has released a newer screen for 6 inch devices. If the device is in good condition you are basically getting a current gen screen.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
veagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
The aura 2 has a lower resolution screen than the Glo HD (212 ppi vs 300 ppi for the glo).

Glo HD has a 6 inch carta screen. I dont believe that eink has released a newer screen for 6 inch devices. If the device is in good condition you are basically getting a current gen screen.
I am getting the manufactured refurbished one from kobo.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rakutenkobous

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...y-refurbished/

Does the Kobo Glo HD still get software updates from Kobo or is it an abandoned device?

Last edited by veagles; 04-16-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

See the wiki -> https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

Updates are fairly regular and newer firmware seems to work on older devices too.

But I think the biggest draw may be to install koreader which actually has better functionality than either kindle or kobo software -> https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices

EDIT: if you have a paperwhite 3, you already have a current gen eink screen - there is no need to switch if a better screen is your only requirement. Did you mean a regular kindle 3 instead of paperwhite 3?

Last edited by gimble; 04-16-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by veagles View Post
I am long time Kindle User with a Paperwhite 3. I am considering buying a new Kobo, but I am not sure which one to go with.

I side load most of my books so the online store and availability of books is not a factor. I do care about screen quality and a good backlight.

I read from many reviews that Glo HD has a higher quality 300 ppi screen. It is a available in refurbished edition on ebay for 89$. Is it worth buying right now in 2018?
The Glo HD is much nicer than the Aura 2. The Aura 2 was a step backwards for Kobo. I'd definitely recommend the Glo. I doubt many people would recommend otherwise.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
veagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
EDIT: if you have a paperwhite 3, you already have a current gen eink screen - there is no need to switch if a better screen is your only requirement. Did you mean a regular kindle 3 instead of paperwhite 3?
I want to move away from Amazon devices. I have the 7th gen Paperwhite which I have been mostly happy with, but side loading is a huge pain, mobi's just won't look as good as KFX with enhanced typesetting, you can email a mobi file, but KFX won't work, and half of my epubs fail when converting to KFX. I want a device with native support for epub and typography better than kindle.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
veagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Glo HD is much nicer than the Aura 2. The Aura 2 was a step backwards for Kobo. I'd definitely recommend the Glo. I doubt many people would recommend otherwise.
Anything that I am missing on compared to Aura 2? It seems weird why they would discontinue and replace it with a inferior screen one.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Is it worth buying right now in 2018?
If you're going to try a Kobo it's probably worth waiting to see what the imminent new Kobo Clara has to offer. Speculation has been rife but no-one knows the specs yet.

Hopefully we should all know in the next few weeks.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anything that I am missing on compared to Aura 2? It seems weird why they would discontinue and replace it with a inferior screen one.
Speculation is that it was just the profit margin. This is just a WAG of course. But if there is a better reason to stop selling the Glo HD and replace it with the Aura 2, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Reviews for the Aura 2 weren't good: Kobo Aura Edition 2 is Going to Be a Total Flop, A Few Steps Back?, It’s better than Amazon’s baseline Kindle, but it’s a lot more expensive
Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #10
gimble
Connoisseur

Quote:
I want to move away from Amazon devices. I have the 7th gen Paperwhite which I have been mostly happy with, but side loading is a huge pain, mobi's just won't look as good as KFX with enhanced typesetting, you can email a mobi file, but KFX won't work, and half of my epubs fail when converting to KFX. I want a device with native support for epub and typography better than kindle.
Have you looked into the koreader software? It can be installed on on kindles as well although if you have updated firmware it will be slightly trickier to get it to work. koreader supports epub formats very well and has a number of font and typesetting options.

What do you use to convert between formats? Calibre should work reasonably well for converting epubs (you can get KFX output with the corresponding plugin).

Quote:
You aren't missing anything really. Aura 2 is simply an inferior device. It did not exactly replace the Glo HD. Aura 2 became Kobo's new baseline device. Glo HD was discontinued presumably because kobo wasn't making money on them. It has specs similar to the kindle voyage - same ppi & weight, more leds than paperwhite, etc.

Last edited by gimble; 04-18-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
veagles

Thanks for the replies, ordered Kobo Glo HD.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, ordered Kobo Glo HD.
That eBay link you shared to the refurbished Glo HDs is very tempting. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Aura, but comparing the screen with the Glowlight 3's screen does make me jealous. Just not enough to throw down a hundred bucks on a new reader (though I'll likely keep checking in on it).
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #13
veagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That eBay link you shared to the refurbished Glo HDs is very tempting. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Aura, but comparing the screen with the Glowlight 3's screen does make me jealous. Just not enough to throw down a hundred bucks on a new reader (though I'll likely keep checking in on it).
Go for it before it runs out of stock! I think just screen resolution alone is worth the upgrade.